600 yd Prone/F Class Match at Palo Alto on march 7th

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • s.i.t.

lead slinger
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    new orleans la
    just what the title says. it has been fun every time ive shot it and will continue to be that way. 15 dollars for the match, 66 round count, and all normal safety equipment. let have some fun

s.i.t.

lead slinger
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    new orleans la
    i agree. bring your stick and ammo. and ask to on second string so you can watch first string go first. if you have question there are many people who will help.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Beautiful day for a mid-range match. Sunny and cool with a wind that was pretty brisk, but not too tricky. A good showing by BS members, there were 8 or 9, including both the F-Class and prone match winners.

I continued on my quest for a decent 600 yd load for my service rifle and learned a few things. There are three 20 shot matches so I decided to use a different load for each. The first was an 82 gr Berger over 24.6 gr RL15. I scored a 193-0X with a 7 out the left on a missed wind call (when I finished shooting I had 5.5 MOA of left wind on the gun). The load shot a very good group for elevation and deserves to be looked at further. Load #2 was an 80 gr JLK VLD over 24.6gr RL15. The rifle clearly did not like this load and I lost way too many points to elevation issues. I shot a 178-3X with it. The final load was my control load - 80 gr Sierra over 24.6 gr of RL15. I foolishly made another change and tried a lens in my shooting glasses with some astigmatism correction. I couldn't really tell where the top of the post ended and the target began. I dropped 5 points in my first four shots (all due to elevation) before I stopped shooting and changed back to my original lens. Once again the advice to make a change if you are having problems worked. Don't just try to shoot through your issue. I dropped another 6 points in my remaining 16 shots with the load holding great elevation. Loads 1 and 3 both will get a little tweaking (maybe change the seating depth or primer) and retested. It is the only way to learn about your gun/load combo.

I am sure some of the other BSers learned a few things. Perhaps they will share.:)

Dan

Last edited:

jlong

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Prairieville, La
    I am deffinitely making plans to come shoot next match. Watched the first string this weekend. Had made to many promises to be in to many places this weekend to shoot.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    For my second match ever I don't think I did too poorly, although I was hoping to improve, I actually dropped two points from my score last month. My first string was HORRIBLE and is what really brought it down. I kept chasing shots, a habit that I need to consciously brake. My scores actually improved as the match progressed though and I hope I can continue that trend over this next month's practice.

Here's a few pictures I snapped over the course of the day...

Arriving early enough to see the range with NO wind!
    IMG_5841.jpg

IMG_5847.jpg

It wasn't long before the line was busy with everyone setting up.
    IMG_5850.jpg

I shot in Relay 3 so we were the first in the pits.
    IMG_5853.jpg

On the line.
    IMG_5854.jpg

IMG_5855.jpg

IMG_5856.jpg

dzelenka writing his speech for when he wins the Camp Perry NRA High Power Service Rifle Championship.
    IMG_5857.jpg

Some beautiful rifles out there!
    IMG_5860.jpg

See the shot.
    IMG_5861.jpg

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    We refaced and setup the targets first thing when we got there. When we drove down range there were only a few people there. When we came back to the line I was surprised how many people showed up.

Then I was following a friend on Relay 3. We were on 8 next to that guy and his little girl. It was my first time there for a match.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Can they shoot off of sleds? I still plan on attending on the 4th if I have no spotting scope will I be SOL? Also I still need to track down some ammo anyone got any leads on this?

Thanks

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    For my second match ever I don't think I did too poorly, although I was hoping to improve, I actually dropped two points from my score last month. My first string was HORRIBLE and is what really brought it down. I kept chasing shots, a habit that I need to consciously brake. My scores actually improved as the match progressed though and I hope I can continue that trend over this next month's practice.

Did you beat the teenage girl with the .223?

Ritten said:
    Here's a few pictures I snapped over the course of the day...

Arriving early enough to see the range with NO wind!

Do not expect to see that on match day in the Spring.

Ritten said:
    dzelenka writing his speech for when he wins the Camp Perry NRA High Power Service Rifle Championship.
    Actually, making notes concerning the load that I was shooting and the sight settings. Taking notes lets you learn from your past matches/practices. I plot every shot from each rifle I have. Because of these notes, I can pick up any of my service rifles, dial on the no wind zero for the distance and place (no wind zero can change from location to location (I need to add 1 MOA to my zero at 600 when I go to Perry)), make a wind call and put the round in the center or close to it.

Ritten said:
    Some beautiful rifles out there!
    Too Much to carry. All you need is a sling. :D

Seriously, it was great to see you guys out there. Spread the word. We can handle up to 60 shooters.

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Can they shoot off of sleds? I still plan on attending on the 4th if I have no spotting scope will I be SOL? Also I still need to track down some ammo anyone got any leads on this?

Thanks

F-Class Open Division can. F-Class Tactical Rifle cannot.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Did you beat the teenage girl with the .223?

Not only did I not beat her, but I got my ass handed to me by her and that .223!! As did a few other guys out there shooting TR. I make no excuses.....she flat out-shot me yesterday!

I ended the day with a 552-8x. Still, even a day like that is a blast to have.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Not only did I not beat her, but I got my ass handed to me by her and that .223!! As did a few other guys out there shooting TR. I make no excuses.....she flat out-shot me yesterday!

I ended the day with a 552-8x. Still, even a day like that is a blast to have.

You aren't the first, nor will you be the last, to fall to that little gun. :mamoru:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom