66% of Louisianians still supporting AWB, have YOU weighed in?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    Hey folks, I don't know how many of you are aware of POPVOX, but it is a tool to let Congress know whether you support legislation or not. It sends an email directly to your representative, and keeps a poll to show how much support a Bill has.

http://pvox.co/TDRUEU

This link will bring you directly to legislation proposed by Bloomberg and his goons.

There are plenty of other pieces on the floor to oppose, but we are getting stomped on this one. Please take 5 minutes and let your voice be heard.

Last edited:

CY09

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I jumped through the hoops and left a comment opposing "common sense" gun legislation. We need to get the message out. I find it hard to believe that people in South LA are in favor of gun restrictions.

kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    Thanks.

If you have FB it will do most of the work for you. You have to add your contact info to send the email to your Representative.

kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    I just checked the polls, and 280 people from LOUISIANA have contacted Congress through POPVOX, 79% of which are in support of "Common Sense Legislation to End Gun Violence". I challenge you folks to turn this around, if only in our state.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    This is baited. How do you answer. Yes I want to keep guns out of criminals hands and other prohibited purchasers, and depending how you define gun traffiing, i would like to see it as a federal crime, but i don't want to ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines and I don't see a wave of crime with military-style weapons and high-capacity magazines on our streets. I also don't want a backround check required for ALL purchaces.

The question should simply be, are current gun laws enough or do we need more.

Also, will my e-mail be flooded with Bull for answering this? And how can a congress man make his decision based on the equivelant of a Facebook poll?

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    I sent Senators Landrieu and Vitter letters voicing my concerns. If it is ok, I will post Sen Landrieu's reply. It dang sure was not a form letter. David Vitter did not reply in any form. Mary Landrieu's reply is lengthy and is the longest letter I ever got that said nothing while addressing the issue.

WOuld someone give me the ok to post it here?

J-Dog

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Hammond
    I sent Senators Landrieu and Vitter letters voicing my concerns. If it is ok, I will post Sen Landrieu's reply. It dang sure was not a form letter. David Vitter did not reply in any form. Mary Landrieu's reply is lengthy and is the longest letter I ever got that said nothing while addressing the issue.

If you sent Vitter a letter using the popvox I doubt you will ever get a responce. Most members of congress only respond to email from their own website,most third party vendors like popvox don't allow for the member of congress to see the contact info of the person emailing them. Most members of congress don't respond to people that do not live in their district or in the case of senators their state.

kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    general mills, you should OPPOSE the title of this proposed bill is "Common Sense Legislation to End Gun Violence", but the contents are anything but.

Your email address and basic info is needed because they contact your State Representative for you and record the results. The poll is a record of people who have contacted their reps, so it's a lot mor than a FB popularity poll.

I have not received any spam mail, nor has anyone else that I know who has signed up.

kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA

Please do, I'm sure it is the same cookie cutter reply that I received. I have not received anything back from Vitter either.

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    This is her reply to me:

January 7, 2013

Dear Mr. XXXX

My prayers and greatest sympathy go out to the families and community of Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, and to all families that have been affected by gun violence. On December 14, 2012, twenty-seven innocent lives were taken from us in a heartbreaking tragedy. As the nation grieves over this senseless act of violence, it is more important than ever that we come together to address the issues affecting American communities.
    The Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees the rights of all Americans to own and possess guns. While preserving the rights of honest gun collectors, sportsmen and owners who possess firearms for traditionally lawful purposes, we must also continue to ensure that we protect innocent unarmed citizens. I am sure you can agree - like any right guaranteed to a free people, the right to bear arms must be exercised responsibly.
    Unfortunately, in the past year, we have seen instances where this right has been abused in tragic fashion. The theater shooting in Aurora, CO, the Sikh temple shooting in Oak Creek, WI, and the school shooting in Newtown, CT, were terrible and unnecessary tragedies. Occurrences such as these remind me of the important role that government plays in upholding statutes that aim to limit such tragedies.
    We must do more to target the causes of mental illness and determine the most effective ways to treat it. I support and will continue to strongly advocate for expanded and improved mental health coverage so that the mentally ill can obtain adequate treatment to not only overcome their struggles, but to lead more productive and fulfilling lives.
    I also support strict adherence of federally licensed firearms dealers to the requirements laid out in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The NICS determines the eligibility of an individual to purchase a firearm and explicitly prohibits those who have been legally determined to be mentally ill or committed to a mental institution from purchasing any weapons.
    Currently, there is no gun control legislation scheduled for a vote. However, I believe that when evaluating future proposals, we must find a balanced way to address the safety of American citizens while ensuring Second Amendment rights granted under the Constitution. Please be assured that I value your input and will keep it in mind as we continue to address this issue in the 113th Congress.
    I appreciate hearing from you on this matter, and I trust that you will continue to contact me on matters of mutual concern. Please feel free to visit my website at http://landrieu.senate.gov for more information on my legislative priorities.
    With warm regards, I amSincerely,

Mary Landrieu
    United States Senator
    P.S. For a recap of my week in Louisiana and Washington, D.C., be sure to sign up for my weekly eNewsletter by visiting http://go.usa.gov/2sb. And for my latest updates, like my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter.

gun_slinger2006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Ponchatoula
    Exact same reply I got and dated the same.
    This is her reply to me:

January 7, 2013

Dear Mr. XXXX

My prayers and greatest sympathy go out to the families and community of Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, and to all families that have been affected by gun violence. On December 14, 2012, twenty-seven innocent lives were taken from us in a heartbreaking tragedy. As the nation grieves over this senseless act of violence, it is more important than ever that we come together to address the issues affecting American communities.
    The Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees the rights of all Americans to own and possess guns. While preserving the rights of honest gun collectors, sportsmen and owners who possess firearms for traditionally lawful purposes, we must also continue to ensure that we protect innocent unarmed citizens. I am sure you can agree - like any right guaranteed to a free people, the right to bear arms must be exercised responsibly.
    Unfortunately, in the past year, we have seen instances where this right has been abused in tragic fashion. The theater shooting in Aurora, CO, the Sikh temple shooting in Oak Creek, WI, and the school shooting in Newtown, CT, were terrible and unnecessary tragedies. Occurrences such as these remind me of the important role that government plays in upholding statutes that aim to limit such tragedies.
    We must do more to target the causes of mental illness and determine the most effective ways to treat it. I support and will continue to strongly advocate for expanded and improved mental health coverage so that the mentally ill can obtain adequate treatment to not only overcome their struggles, but to lead more productive and fulfilling lives.
    I also support strict adherence of federally licensed firearms dealers to the requirements laid out in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The NICS determines the eligibility of an individual to purchase a firearm and explicitly prohibits those who have been legally determined to be mentally ill or committed to a mental institution from purchasing any weapons.
    Currently, there is no gun control legislation scheduled for a vote. However, I believe that when evaluating future proposals, we must find a balanced way to address the safety of American citizens while ensuring Second Amendment rights granted under the Constitution. Please be assured that I value your input and will keep it in mind as we continue to address this issue in the 113th Congress.
    I appreciate hearing from you on this matter, and I trust that you will continue to contact me on matters of mutual concern. Please feel free to visit my website at http://landrieu.senate.gov for more information on my legislative priorities.
    With warm regards, I amSincerely,

Mary Landrieu
    United States Senator
    P.S. For a recap of my week in Louisiana and Washington, D.C., be sure to sign up for my weekly eNewsletter by visiting http://go.usa.gov/2sb. And for my latest updates, like my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter.

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    In effect, she said a lot without saying anything. What it comes down to is she will vote with the President just as her family has done for years. She keeps the welfare crowd growing and buying their votes with her Section 8 Housing and welfare money.

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    No way Mary or Vitter is going to vote for ANY gun control measures. Louisiana has a long tradition of liberal gun ownership laws. Just recently the state strenghtened gun rights in within the state of LA. With an election looming, neither one of our Senators would vote for a gun limitation bill. 2014 in not far in the future, and voting for the gun limitaion bill would be a political kiss of death here in Louisiana.

Last edited:

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    Senator Mary finally replied to my email:

January 7, 2013

Dear Mr. *****:

With warm regards, I am

Sincerely,

Mary Landrieu
    United States Senator

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheMadKing504
    Top Bottom