9MM vs. 40 S&W

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    The Impala that the deputy was driving in the St John dust-up (the first deputy who was shot out on the road, not one of the two who were ambushed in the trailer park) was new, and had safety glass in the side windows. That undoubtedly saved his life, because the AK bullets fired into the car through the side window were pretty much wrecked by the time they got to him. His wounds are nothing to brush off, but had the car been equipped with "regular" glass there, the first bullet would have shattered it and the rest would have been unimpeded.

Note to uniform guys working the road/street... new cars will be a tougher nut to crack. I suggest .308, at a minimum... from what I saw on that car, even a 12 gauge slug would have been nearly defeated by this safety glass.

This is pretty vital first hand information, and hopefully state and local agencies can adjust their protocols and training to meet the new auto glass standards.
    It stands as one more example for the availability and need for "patrol rifles", as most local level LEO carry only handguns, with only a few being issued shotguns.
    I want to thank you for sharing, and hopefully, some of the LEOs on this site will be able to use it when needed.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The Impala that the deputy was driving in the St John dust-up (the first deputy who was shot out on the road, not one of the two who were ambushed in the trailer park) was new, and had safety glass in the side windows. That undoubtedly saved his life, because the AK bullets fired into the car through the side window were pretty much wrecked by the time they got to him. His wounds are nothing to brush off, but had the car been equipped with "regular" glass there, the first bullet would have shattered it and the rest would have been unimpeded.

Note to uniform guys working the road/street... new cars will be a tougher nut to crack. I suggest .308, at a minimum... from what I saw on that car, even a 12 gauge slug would have been nearly defeated by this safety glass.

If you stick with 5.56mm bullets that performed well in the FBI Testing you will be fine with auto glass. They use thicker, laminated windshield glass as the test barrier.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Hell, after fondling that evidence P30 today, I'm thinking about scoring one just for grins. Our BRPD liason guy almost soiled himself when he picked it up. He's that rara avis among cops; a TRUE "gun guy". But he's where I was seven years ago... "Yeah, HKs are great, but they're over-hyped and over-priced!" After shooting and examining the P30 for almost an hour... now he understands.

Damn you after I convince myself NOT to buy a P30 because I just bought another G19 this weekend you tease and torment me.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I love my Glock 27, I went with that model since most of my pistols are 40 cal, but nowdays truthfully I find myself caring my S&W 442 now more than anything, only five shots, but it's loaded up with the Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

Ya know, that critical defense stuff didn't fare to well against barriers either in independent testing.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I know. I also know that regular old eastern-bloc 7.62x39 ball does pretty good in those tests, too. The bad guy in this instance was shooting Wolf, at a 40 degree angle, and it separated and skewed big time.

BTW... what is the Bureau recommending these days?

Federal 62gr Tactical Bonded. XM556FBIT3

Top Bottom