A1 Upper troubles.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunslinger06

Never go to BR/NO
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Leesville,LA
    Check the recoil spring. what weight is the buffer in the lower? Also switch lowers to see if that works

I suggested the lower swap to but after reading his post the lower worked fine with another upper. He also said he oiled it. Since the barrel has been cut down Im putting my money on the gas port being too small.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Check the recoil spring. what weight is the buffer in the lower? Also switch lowers to see if that works

I'm gonna swap the lowers and try that 1st because my other gun is also a rifle gas system but with a even shorter bbl and it runs great so if that is a different buffer and spring it should make it work. If that doesn't fix it I'm gonna send the upper off and have the gas port and bbl length matched to my other gun and see if that works.

Thanks for all the help y'all.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Cleaned the heck outta it last night and a lot of black stuff was flaking of the inside of the upper kinda looks like some sort of overspray got most of it off and lubed the heck outta it and went test it this morning and outta 10rds the best I got was 2 shots in a row "it was warmer". Swapped to my other lower and shot another 10rds it acted the same. So like gunslinger says I'm sure the gas port has to be opened up a bit.

I'm gonna pull my A2 down tonight measure how long the barrel is and the size of the gas port then have the A1 barrel cut and drilled to match.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    How long was the barrel originally, and what was it cut down to? What BCG are you using?

It was 20" and I gotta double check but I think it's now 17" could be 18". I assume the BCG is Olympic Arms.
    Should I have swapped the BCG from my other gun also to see if that helps?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Olympic Arms builds trash. You bought the Fiat of the AR world. I bet the gas port is outta spec.

Well live and learn. I'm $979.00 into this gun and I don't know if I should give up on it, work on the gas port, or just buy a new barrel. I'm sure opening up the gas port will get the gun to cycle but to top it all off its shooting 9" low and the front sight is screwed all the way down I'm told they make shorter sight post so that should be an easy fix but I just don't know.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It was 20" and I gotta double check but I think it's now 17" could be 18". I assume the BCG is Olympic Arms.
    Should I have swapped the BCG from my other gun also to see if that helps?

No I was just curious. If it's an Oly BCG it would be the lighter semi carrier, which should have even less trouble being moved by the gas system.

It's simply short stroking, and if everything is clean and well lubed, and the lower/buffer setup is known good, it's just a gas issue. The gas port size is one part of a large tuning equation, and changes like chopping off a couple
    inches of barrel need to be accounted for. Assuming all else is installed correctly, I think you're on the right path with opening up the port a bit to help compensate for the loss of dwell time.

gunslinger06

Never go to BR/NO
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Leesville,LA
    Olympic Arms builds trash. You bought the Fiat of the AR world. I bet the gas port is outta spec.

I've owned several Olympic products with no issue. They may not be as sexy as a Colt but are quite reliable. If you chop the barrel down on a 20" Colt, Noveske, or Daniel Defense the same issue will pop up.
    As far as pricing goes-complete AR's are really cheap right now. Its very hard to buy the parts for the price of a complete rifle. Still, you get to build exactly what you want. That is a nice benefit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I disagree that try are just reliable. They aren't built to a spec that's a bench mark of reliability and has been for over 50 years. You may have not expirenced issues. You may have been lucky or you may not shoot as much as others. I teach students who bring rifles that run the gamet from excellent to trash. The good built to spec rifles expirence .5% the issues that the Oly, Rock River, Wyndham, et al. Do. I don't know how to ignore that. It's just true. If you want a gun to shoot cans with but whatever you want. If you want a gun to count on buy a good one.

Several companies including BCM and DD let you essentially have whatever you want built.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    OK I found a company that can cut the barrel and drill the gas port to the correct size. I'm told they stand behind their work and are very good so I'm gonna get a quote and if its cheeper then a new barrel I will ship it off if not I'm just gonna buy a new barrel and not have it cut. I just want this gun to function.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    OK I found a company that can cut the barrel and drill the gas port to the correct size. I'm told they stand behind their work and are very good so I'm gonna get a quote and if its cheeper then a new barrel I will ship it off if not I'm just gonna buy a new barrel and not have it cut. I just want this gun to function.

Adco is very good at that from my experience. Meaning cutting down and matching the gas port. I was however bit by an Olympic AR back in 2000 though. I swore them off but there really weren't that many choices back then. I wouldn't put too much money into it though before considering selling and buying something else.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    A 16" barrel with rifle gas will be iffy, no matter who sets it up. The mid length gas works great with the 16" tube.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Adco is very good at that from my experience. Meaning cutting down and matching the gas port. I was however bit by an Olympic AR back in 2000 though. I swore them off but there really weren't that many choices back then. I wouldn't put too much money into it though before considering selling and buying something else.

I know I feel like I'm wasting money putting anymore into it. The only thing that's Olympic is the upper. The lower is a rockriver and it seems pretty good. ADCO is who I emailed and the word is they are G2G. If I gotta put more then $200.00 into the upper I'm just gonna scrap it and call it a lost I'm not gonna sell that garbage to anyone.
    Glad to know you were pleased with ADCO.

Thanks

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom