Affordable handgun rail light

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cguedr

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    Yes, Curt = SpeedRacer ;)

LSP972 is an admitted curmudgeon (just look at his user title). But he knows what he's talking about. We're all on the same team here, though some people come off as harsh when the subject matter is important to them. Did LSP972 candy coat his response? No. But I agree entirely with him (in fact we both said much the same thing). I just have a tender touch, while LSP prefers the "I'm too old to worry about offending people" approach. :D

If you look at his first post, he's only got one sentence in the whole post that addresses the question, albeit it was the type of information that I needed. Other than that sentence, I think he's provided little to the conversation and I'm actually quite surprised that's he even put forth the effort to open the thread and type responses when there has been nothing constructive (save for that one sentence).

But I do see where you are coming from.

cguedr

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    AMEN to that... Here is the link to the one that I bought, Very bright (150 lumens and LED) and it fits on my Glock and my railed rifles as well. you must have struck a nerve there. LOL http://www.ebay.com/itm/260906060355?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649s

looks like a duck, etc., but does it actually point with the gun? the second pic there on eBay shows quite an angle down. unless it's not tightened up on the rail, I don't see how the beam would be where your sights were looking.

cguedr

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    Ask question
    Disagree with answers
    ???
    Profit?

Actually, if you look back, no one disageed with any answers that were product suggestions. LSP actually just proved my point 2 responses up when he stated that Kimbers today are fluff and CZs are solid (at least currently). There are, in fact, less expensive guns that may be more reliable, durable, possibly even more accurate than others. Along the same lines, I was asking if there were any handgun lights out there much the same, not as expensive, but still a solid option (again, because I admittedly have little experience with gun lights).

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    When looking at items such as hand/long guns, flashlights, things of that nature, here's a good rule of thumb:

What do the police/military use?

If it doesn't matter if something works or not, and you're willing to gamble, go cheap.

But when you DEMAND that something work each and every time you need it because your life or someone else's could depend on it, don't skimp. Look at what the police/military use. There's a reason, and it isn't price, that they choose what they do.

Do the police use $3000 Wilson Combats on patrol everyday? I'm sure somewhere in Arizona, Steven Seagal is using one to patrol the streets, but most cops carry Glocks. You can spend 10x the money and won't get anymore reliability. However, some people can't get this simple idea and a $200 Hi point is all there life is worth, or you're not worthy of true mall ninja status unless you have spent at least a grand on your sidearm of choice.

Same thing goes for lights. Do cops carry $20 NEBO flashlights? I'm sure theres probably one in the glove compartment of the wife's van, but on the gun, on the belt, on the line, you've got SUREFIRE & STREAMLIGHT. There's a reason for this, and it isn't price.

We are adults here. Some of us are ex or current military, some of us are ex or current law enforcement. Some of us come off a little rough, but the message is the same. If its worth doing, its worth doing right.

Last edited:

cguedr

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    Good info.

ETA: By the way, of any mod wishes to close this thread, be my guest. It's obviously drifted quite far off topic.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    When looking at items such as hand/long guns, flashlights, things of that nature, here's a good rule of thumb:

What do the police/military use?

If it doesn't matter if something works or not, and you're willing to gamble, go cheap.

But when you DEMAND that something work each and every time you need it because your life or someone else's could depend on it, don't skimp. Look at what the police/military use. There's a reason, and it isn't price, that they choose what they do.

Do the police use $3000 Wilson Combats on patrol everyday? I'm sure somewhere in Arizona, Steven Seagal is using one to patrol the streets, but most cops carry Glocks. You can spend 10x the money and won't get anymore reliability. However, some people can't get this simple idea and a $200 Hi point is all there life is worth, or you're not worthy of true mall ninja status unless you have spent at least a grand on your sidearm of choice.

Same thing goes for lights. Do cops carry $20 NEBO flashlights? I'm sure theres probably one in the glove compartment of the wife's van, but on the gun, on the belt, on the line, you've got SUREFIRE & STREAMLIGHT. There's a reason for this, and it isn't price.

We are adults here. Some of us are ex or current military, some of us are ex or current law enforcement. Some of us come off a little rough, but the message is the same. If its worth doing, its worth doing right.

Most logical thing I've read in some time. :bravo:

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    looks like a duck, etc., but does it actually point with the gun? the second pic there on eBay shows quite an angle down. unless it's not tightened up on the rail, I don't see how the beam would be where your sights were looking.
    I saw some of the lights that looked like that. That's why I chose this one. It does not point down at all, on my Glock it points exactly where I am aiming. I am extremely happy with it. Hope this helps.will post pics soon.

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    ggg 005.jpgggg 009.jpg Hope this helps, oh yeah it does have a quick release.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    What type of switch does it use? Looks like a push button? Does it have momentary on capability, or just on/off? Can it be operated using only the gun hand while gripping the weapon?

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I saw some of the lights that looked like that. That's why I chose this one. It does not point down at all, on my Glock it points exactly where I am aiming. I am extremely happy with it. Hope this helps.will post pics soon.

looks good to me, dead-on in the second pic . I don't suppose you can't beat it for the money.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    just throwing another option out there that I hadn't seen mentioned. I have a tlr-1 and an Insight WX150 and I prefer the insight. It came in at a little less than $200 for the light. It has quick detach, strobe feature, centers on the sights, ambidextrous, and hasn't broken in a year and a half of use at the camp and on my bedside table. But the TLR has never failed me either and its significantly cheaper. So if your looking for a compromise between reliability and price then the TLR series is probably your best bet.

cguedr

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    Well, was looking around online (I've been at Bogue Chitto for a few days and didn't have internet on the computer, only phone), looks like I had originally gone to Bud's and only saw the TLR-2 (even though now I see that they have the 1 as all), which they have for about $240, which is more than what I wanted to spend on a light. However, the 1 and 3 are not bad at all, and I think I'll end up with the 3 because of it's smaller size (I really don't want a cumbersome light on the end of the gun). Thanks all.

cguedr

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    Appreciate that. I did a quick YouTube search and came across a guy who did a brief comparison between the two. The 1's looking like a more solid option.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    i know you talked about not wanting a big cumbersome light on the end of it. heres my g19 w/ the tlr1. its a compact and sticks out quite a lot. not sure about the dimensions of the p-01 and i couldnt find a pic of it with a tlr1 attached on the web so maybe see if you can fit w/e it is you want to your pistol first and see which one you like better. you gotta sacrifice something though it seems

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/97/17616217396438853441066.jpg/sr=1

Last edited:

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    The -3 takes an oddball battery that isn't as readily found as the CR123A the others use.

Plus, its beam is noticeably "less" than the others.

Otherwise, a decent light. I traded mine because of the two above issues.

The new gen of TLR-3's (with the C4 LED), though not as bright as the 1's, still put out a substantial amount of light (more than my Surefire G2 even)

I also like the fact that it doesn't protrude very far past the end of the barrel...a non-issue for most people and mostly an aesthetic appeal for me...

I also like the lighter weight...

I do hate that oddball battery size though...

Despite my initial reservations about its poly construction, mine has held up through several thousand rounds while mounted...no malfunctions to date...

Top Bottom