Air rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J.wag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    poplarville mississippi
    Do you still have the scope it came with on it? Mine does not have iron sights so optic is a must. The scope that came with mine seems cheap definitely not very clear however I will keep it if it holds zero. If not I'll be looking for a upgrade

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Got an RWS Diana 350 Magnum .22 I've had for 11 years. Still kicks butt too, even though it's got a haphazardly sprayed silver paint job to cover the rust. I haven't shot it in a few years, but back in the day I could reliably drop a water moccasin at 300+ feet, assuming he was not moving too fast. My pellet of choice has always been tri-band super magnums (heavier + pointy)

Last edited:

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    d26c423f1c56f472bac4fa2e12e5c33d.jpg
    What I purchased that encouraged me to start this thread. What kind of grouping are you getting with your benjamin?

The only pellets I have tried are Crossman hollow points (only pellets i had at the house )putting 3 inch groups at about 30 feet. I'm sure this gun can shoot tighter than this.are there any pellets you have found to shoot better?

I ditch the factory scope. I went with an barska .223 bdc. Because impact shift when the piston hits. The shots below are around 40-50 handheld , holding arm resting on a table. When comfortable I can put **** in a quarter sized hole all day. And if the benjamin diesels it will punch clean through fence boards.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I bought two for my dad in the last 2-3 years. One crack barrel with a scope combo, one a .22 pump. Both Benjamin. Very disapointed in the quality of both. It doesnt compare to his 50+ year old Benjamin. However the .22 pump is very strong and accurate. Enough for him i guess.

J.wag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    poplarville mississippi
    Playing around with mine quite a bit today using benjamin pellets at 20 yards I was hitting quarter size groups ....so I decided to bring it out to 50 yards and after 10 shots I had about a foot and a half spread...=( guess this rifle is not cut out for shooting at distances further than 30 yards or so... o well I guess that's what the ruger 10/22 is for.

J.wag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    poplarville mississippi
    Yes I have a few on order kinda sad the big box stores don't have a variety of pellets any more. From what I have read it performs best with Crossman premier dome pellets ... low and behold the only place I can find them is amazon.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Mine really likes the Crosman Premier HPs. Thankfully they are available at the local box store. I keep a stash handy.

J.wag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    poplarville mississippi
    I did see those at the local wally world those were the first pack I put through mine. They did better than the benjamin brand I have now. I will probably pick another tin up to have something to compare the crosman premier domes against when they arrive.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    I find that the np2 trigger requires a jerk instead of a pull, in order for the airgun to discharge. The jerking motion can cause large diameter and inconsistent groups. Just out of curiosity I will polish the trigger group, with my dremel, to see if it lightens / smooth out the trigger pull

J.wag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    poplarville mississippi
    I find that the np2 trigger requires a jerk instead of a pull, in order for the airgun to discharge. The jerking motion can cause large diameter and inconsistent groups. Just out of curiosity I will polish the trigger group, with my dremel, to see if it lightens / smooth out the trigger pull
    Hey film this process and the results!

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    I have 3 air guns, I have a crosman 2240 pistol which is basically the honda civic of airguns, I don't think I've ever actually seen a stock pistol except when it came out of the box. It uses CO2 cartridges, a couple of people make repeater breaches out of them and they're lots of fun.

If you're looking for something cheap and fun the CMP has refurbished Daisy 853 .177 air rifles for 100 bucks. They're ready to shoot out of the box and are in rough cosmetic condition but mine shoots great. It's too low velocity for pest control but if you have a big enough yard and know your backstop it's pretty quiet and you might get away with using it in more urban environments.

I also have one of those Crosman nitro venom rifles as well, it packs a pretty punch. I ditched the stock scope and got a UTG "bug buster" scope on it. It works.

You can build a really neat, and really quiet, pellet trap using duct seal putty. You can cobble up one yourself from screws, scrap wood and the like or you can buy fancy ones. There are a ton of people out that there that have built them but here's just one example. These guys sell kits and preassembled traps that are ready to go out of the box.. How much duct seal putty you use depends on your velocity, high velocity guns, like 1000fps+ you will want about 4 inches, more if you have pointed pellets, and you might consider a steel backing plate just in case.

Creoleman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Metairie,La.
    I don't know for sure, but I think shooting birds and squirrels within city limits is against the law. Although, not enforced (at least where I live in Orlreans Parish) I don't think you'll have the cops at your door unless somebody complains. I'm not 100% on this. I do shoot the occasional rat or possum in my backyard because they're usually up to no good and head straight for my attic. There is usually a Gamo stationed in the laundry room by the door that leads into the backyard. My house is raised about 5 feet so I get a pretty good overview of the whole yard. That'd were I pick em off!
    In the same location and for the same reason, I keep a Daisy Red Rider (she doesn't have much power, though). Maybe need a more powerful type. Sorry for the brief thread hijack. :)

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    I don't know for sure, but I think shooting birds and squirrels within city limits is against the law. Although, not enforced (at least where I live in Orlreans Parish) I don't think you'll have the cops at your door unless somebody complains. I'm not 100% on this. I do shoot the occasional rat or possum in my backyard because they're usually up to no good and head straight for my attic. There is usually a Gamo stationed in the laundry room by the door that leads into the backyard. My house is raised about 5 feet so I get a pretty good overview of the whole yard. That'd were I pick em off!

Here is a link to a site with the laws on birds. And as for as shooting birds in the city, well according to the bird treaty of 1918 there are only 3 species of birds that are not protected. The common house sparrow, the grackle, and the rock pigeon. And even those may be protected if your city is listed as bird sanctuary, such as Slidell, it would be a no-no. I just cant see a nasty old crow being protected. If you like air rifles, you will like this site. Go to the main index page and read around.
    http://www.talonairgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8582

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Exhaustively...lol I use the Airforce brand air pump, which is like a bicycle pump but goes high pressure. I pump to 3000psi. The pump will go to 3600psi but the air tank won't. But I love it.
    I also have a Beeman RX in .177 I bought back around 1992, a Benjamin pump in .177, and a Benjamin Trail NP XL in .22. But none compare to the Condor. I have the .22 cal barrel for it along with the .25 barrel on it now. Last Saturday I just got in some cast bullets for it. A 48 grain hollow point and a 49 grain flat point. I still have testing to do with them setting up a chrony and regulating the power setting.

Last edited:

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    For every 12 pumps it goes up about 100psi. So it can be a workout if shoot too much before raising it back up. The number of shots can vary on pellet weight, and the power level you set. You try to set for bell curve where it will start out lower and rise in fps and then drop back down. The last time i set it I could get about 30-40 shots before having to work too hard raising the pressure back up. And that was shooting a 25.39 grain JSB Exact Diablo pellet, with the bell curve starting about 950fps and rising to 1065fps and then dropping back down to about 900-925fps. Ohh, and that is a .25 caliber pellet.

Top Bottom