Air rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    J.Wag, there is also an adapter you can buy that lets you use paintball tanks of co2 like from wal mart if you want, and you will get a lot of shots with it, or you can do what a lot of people do and get a scuba tank and refill the gun from it. Any scuba shop can fill those or a paintball field has high pressure pumps. You can buy other small tanks that go to 4500psi to refill the Condor tank with. I am getting ready to go ahead and just buy me a compressor to have here at home to fill with. That hand pump is going to give me another heart attack if I keep using it...lol
    If thinking about a pcp gun, a very good beginning one is the Benjamin Discovery or a little more, the Benjamin Marauder, which costs a little more. But the Marauder has a built on suppressor to make it much more quiet, as pcp guns are LOUD without such.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    The Disco for short name pumps up to only 2000psi and is not really hard to get to and usually sells in a package with a Benjamin pump to put air in. It comes in .177 and .22. The Marauder called Mrod for short comes in those and .25 and has several mods that can be done to increase its power and it airs up to 3000psi. If you are about 6' or so and 200+ pounds you wont have any trouble pumping one up, i'm not so I struggle.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Oh, something of interest to others here in La. I was told by LDWF it IS LEGAL to hunt deer with an air rifle as long as it falls inline with the caliber regulations, larger than a .22. I happen to call the Monroe LDWF office a couple weeks ago and they confirmed what I had been told earlier. I guess it is due to all the new large caliber air rifles on the market. He mentioned something about what started it had to do with Australia. Would be very interesting to get a hold of the new Airforce "Texan" .45.

Last edited:

J.wag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    poplarville mississippi
    Sooo todat I tried shooting some decent groups again low and behold they are even worse than before. So I brought it in a cleaned the barrel out. About 6 black patches later it seems clean. Tomorrow I will see if this helps to tighten the groups back up. How often do you guys clean your barrel out? Mine has had around 300 pellets through it and this is the first cleaning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Really and truly if you read the forums you will see not many do clean the barrels. You do not have the issue of leading in the bore because of the lower velocity. When you exceed the speed of sound and higher is when you would have an issue. Quality of pellets has a lot to do with accuracy. As was mentioned before, you need to put 4-500 through it before judging it. The Crossman Premier Hollow Points are usually pretty decent in those rifles, but you need to try different weights and styles to see which the gun may like best. Dome are usually the most accurate. When going to a different weight, don't go down in weight a lot. Springers(term for all break barrel) as they are called do not normally like anything real light, just like in your manual it probably tells you to never dry fire it, nor put too much oil in the breach chamber to cause dieseling. That is very bad on them. You will definitely know you put too much if it is close to dusk and you see fire come out of the barrel....lol Try some of the 18+ grain pellets, but I would not want to go much heavier or you will be watching you pellet go to the target. My trail is accurate out to 60 yards easy, but it also drops about 6 inches at that distance using the CPHP pellets that are 14.3 grain. The only other thing that could be a problem is if the crown is not right. If it is, take it/send it back. Nothing you do will make any difference. Happy Shooting but stay warm, that cold front blew through here today very hard and fast coming your way.

Oh, if you can, find someone with a Chrony to check just how fast it is shooting, pellets do not like supersonic speed or rather above the speed of sound somewhere a little over 1100fps at sea level. Yours is not rated for that but would be good to know the speed.

Last edited:

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    I bought my Hatsan BT65 from here http://www.airgunproshop.com/product-category/hatsan-refurbished/.
    Paid under around $350 or so for it and bought a handpump. After about a month I started shopping for a tank and listed the pump for sale, just couldnt enjoy shooting having to pump it 150-200 times to fill it for 20-30 shots. I bought a carbon fiber wrapped tank (4250 psi iirc), takes 10 seconds to fill and I get a ton of fills for it when it only costs around $10 to fill the tank at my local scuba shop.
    I've spent a fair amount of time tuning the rifle and shooting different pellets, pellet brand can make a world of difference! I have tried some pellets that wouldn't get on the paper at 30 yards and others (my preferred) I've gotten some half decent groups at 100 yards.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Guy, the bt65 doesn't have a way to tune it for more shots? Your tank should go to 4500psi unless the scuba shop is not filling all the way. Did you have to buy the air line to go from the tank to your gun, as I know those tanks are not cheap and the lines aren't either? Been thinking about such for mine also, but I think I am just gonna break down and get a shoebox compressor. Where I now live I would have to drive at least 100 miles for scuba shop. The cheapest one is $650 plus $150 for the connecting line with gauge and bleedoff valve. I'll get the 4500psi one and just watch when filling to shut it off. I'll need that pressure if I ever do get some tanks. Been watching craigslist for any scba/scuba or the little fiber wrapped. Just watched a video on youtube of one of the bt65's a few days ago, and they were holding their target up for sighting in with a couple $75 knives and he destroyed one of them when it got hit. That was a hard lesson learned...lol

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    Its a 4350 psi tank, its called a composite tank.
    http://www.diveseekers.com/Luxfer_Limited_106_CF_Composite_Cylinder_LALW106_p/lalw106.htm
    And to fill I bought this which I found on sale when I bought it for $75.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hatsan-Rifle-Charging-Adapter-HA90410/dp/B00KCCD63Y

The BT can certainly be tuned for more shots, I started tuning a while back and got busy with other things so I haven't played with it in quite a while. I installed a pressure regulator in the air tube to try and get more consistent velocities, bought a chronograph, and found that the pellets performed best under 900-950 fps. Next step was to start adjusting to reduce the amounted of wasted air but I never got that far.
    I have a dive shop in the area I drive in pretty much every day so its very convenient for me and at around $10 for probably 50-60 fills on my rifle its well worth it. I HATED pumping, sucked the fun right out of shooting.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Sorry, my bad, that's the first tank I have seen listed at 4350psi. Yeah if I still lived down south I would most likely have a bottle setup by now. I think there was a paintball field on the west side of Pearl River that had the pump that would go that high. One of the dive shops there in Slidell only did 3000psi. Yes that pumping is going to give me another heart attack one of these days if I don't do something. Is your BT a .22 or .25 cal?

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    As for pellets, if you take a minute to do a visual examination of the pellet skirts you will notice that some are a little off center. Some skirts are thicker on one side. If you cull out some of them your groups will tighten up some.

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    .22 cal.
    I've found the jsb exacts give me the best groups and for destruction the H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme's are great.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    .22 cal.
    I've found the jsb exacts give me the best groups and for destruction the H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme's are great.

Yes I depend on the JSB's for accuracy, both in .22 and .25. I have some H&N Crow Magnum in .22 but never tried the Hunters. They have some new JSBs for .25 out now that are 33.95gr but had some problems when first came out. The skirt was too big or thick for a lot of the rifles on the market so they come out with a version MKII. I ordered and got in some new cast bullets Saturday before last and here is a couple of pics.

49 grain flat point and a 48 grain hollow point.
    IMG_20160130_150840582_zpsz42likej.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

This is the hollow point I think after doing a little penetration test. I was not impressed, and the lead is definitely harder than regular pellets.
    IMG_20160203_172715697_zpsjg28jszm.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    After enjoying the RWS rifles for many years I bought a Benjamin Titan "Shockey" version in .22 and like it just fine. But it doesn't have the power my model 54 does. A little lighter, quieter and smoother tho. Hard to compare to RWS.

And crow magnums for the win !

J.wag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    poplarville mississippi
    Update on mine the scope and rings that come with it are allowing it to shift. I'm going to have to upgrade that. I'm not sure why they are moving around I have them tight almost to the point of stripping the screws. Obviously they are not the best quality but I thought they would hold up to air rifle vibration/recoil with no issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom