Airsoft Accident

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    It's a bunch of stolen valor nutless, gutless, wannabees playing war/command because they don't have the balls or intestinal fortitude to do it for real. The fact that these Dbags wear patches bearing the Ranger Tab, EGA, SF tab and others I and so many others here and elsewhere sacrificed years of their life to EARN pisses me off exponentially more than the regular Dbag that just dress up and play war.

I see it as them having some true heros to "play". The new cops and robbers of the old days. Better than trying to be like some famous a-hole rapper or actor or something. As long as they aren't trying to pass themselves off as the real thing, I see no harm in it. I bet these kids, and adults, get into less trouble than most urban youth. If it keeps them active and interested in something, I'm all for it. And no, I don't play or have any clothes of that type. My son now has my marker and I don't think I'm getting it back.

Last edited:

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    It's just a game, I don't see the problem in having fun. My friend that got me to come play with him years ago was a Marine. Yeah, some of the guys were a little too into it, but it's still just fun, like playing your sport of choice or fishing or anything else.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    There's actually a surprising number of former and active duty military who airsoft. For the most part it really is just a grown up, fancier version of playing "war" like we all did as kids. It's not my thing, but I'm sure it's fun.

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    I always just thought airsoft was some preteens with orange tip guns from Walmart running around. The guns in the videos appear to be way more than that. I don't really see the difference between this and paintball. I used to paintball a lot years ago and I had a blast. I could see getting into this just for something a little different than range time.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Honestly, I see it as just a less expensive cheaper way to practice defensive tactics. Some people will always go overboard with their hobbies. I've never played, but I can see the value, esp if you're trying to save money with the way ammo prices are lately.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Honestly, I see it as just a less expensive cheaper way to practice defensive tactics. Some people will always go overboard with their hobbies. I've never played, but I can see the value, esp if you're trying to save money with the way ammo prices are lately.

Depends highly on the application.

Yes, using an airsoft handgun to train for USPSA in your garage would be handy. However, running around like you're in a Call of Duty game is not.

Legitimate use for airsoft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHArGTfPf-kvs

vs

Bunch of grown men running around like it's real life Xbox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLWAxxgcns

Last edited:

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I still don't see the problem with that. It's a game. Yeah, some people go overboard, but they do that with real guns, too. Probably the same guys everyone makes fun of on AR forums. Personally, if I had a convenient location to play, I'd think that it's way better than sitting on my ass getting frustrated with some middle school kid that can twiddle his thumbs better than me.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Seems like a variation of "paint ball".

The paintball guys playing Milsim war games in the woods, sure, but it's nothing like playing tournament paintball.

Tournament Paintball - I don't see Multicam and High Speed Low Drag BB guns

5ce2352b032a09f475e78d3dfa84ac3b.jpg

Airsoft:

TF_Valkyrie.jpg

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    I always just thought airsoft was some preteens with orange tip guns from Walmart running around. The guns in the videos appear to be way more than that. I don't really see the difference between this and paintball. I used to paintball a lot years ago and I had a blast. I could see getting into this just for something a little different than range time.

I was in Japan and made a point of visiting some of the airsoft stores they have there. Some of the guns available are incredibly detailed and well put together down to armory marks and manufacturer stamps. Some weigh and handle the same as the actual firearm they mimic. They don't require the orange tips there either so there it is virtually impossible to make it out as airsoft unless you're handling the gun.

I have read about guys putting up shoot/no shoot targets in their house to practice navigating and "shooting" in a home invasion scenario, and I think the USPSA/IPSC practice aspect has been brought up. Even middling quality guns hold up and handle close to the powder burning originals.

I have a CZ 75 airsoft that I play around with in the shed sometimes. I guess it'd be fun to go shoot plastic BBs at other people in a junkyard or out in the woods. It was pretty fun when I did that with a paintball gun. Basically a grown up version of watergun fights, but these guys look like they are putting way more time and effort than I'd be willing to invest and I think I'm too self aware of how idiotic it looks. Reminds me too much of the movie Role Models, but I guess they're getting outside and getting some exercise? Better than sitting out the couch playing CoD all day.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I have a KSC Airsoft Glock 19 that I practice with at home. It was expensive new, but functions EXACTLY like a G19 (Aside from the whole bullets thing). It even breaks down like a real firearm. The Magazine takes the CO2 canister so the weight is right on. The weapon itself has an all metal slide, poly frame, metal barrel, captured spring and guide rod, etc. The action is perfect as well... full slide movement, blow back, etc. It fits all my G19 holsters and can even take G19 aftermarket sights.

I use it for practicing at home. I have a couple "catch boxes" that retain the BB's once then penetrate the target so I don't lose them all over the house.

ksc_g19_manual.jpg

That being said, I also have a G17 SIRT laser training pistol that I use when I'm on the road or in my office. There are apps for the iPhone as well as open source laser training software you can get for a laptop or windows tablet with a camera and it will plot your shots on your targets via the laser recognition with the camera. The latest one I found allows you to hook to a projector for animated targets.

I also have an Airsoft All-Metal AR-15 that is configured to the same specs as my CMMG AR-15 SBR that I also train with. Same grips, handguard, sights, optics, stock, etc. Setting up multiple targets around the backyard or even a mock-up shooting range always helps. It is just slightly lighter than my actual AR, but after an hour or so, you can't even tell. It's an electric rifle, so the blowback on it isn't all that strong, but it still has a kick to it.

If you're going to purchase high-end Airsoft training equipment, I would recommend going with the high-rated, and most advanced replicated versions that function just as the real weapons do. When training, I like to keep things as close to realistic as possible. The better options will run you a good bit more money, but the realism helps. Of course, nothing beats the real-feel of the real thing.

Given the punishment some of these weapons take during the matches I've seen, they are very durable. Again, the more expensive you go, the better the quality and realism.

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Does the KSC pistol also deliver recoil? I'm just not familiar with it. If it does, I'm getting one... If not, it's just all about wrist and hand strength and controlling the trigger pull. You can do that by just dry-firing.

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    I would also like to know if the pistol delivers recoil. That would be great home defense training for myself and the wife. It's one thing to dry run a middle of the night home invasion, but to be able to put shots on target to see how you do is another thing.

marcw85

Hotter than a $2 pistol
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Thibodaux, LA
    My brother and I lived in a rented a trailer together years ago, one of us would dose off on the couch and the other would shoot him with a little airsoft pistol. Like everything else it started with a cheap wal-mart gun then we would order bigger ones online. Eventually all out war would break out inside that shitty little trailer...needless to say we didn't get our deposit back!

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    Does the KSC pistol also deliver recoil? I'm just not familiar with it. If it does, I'm getting one... If not, it's just all about wrist and hand strength and controlling the trigger pull. You can do that by just dry-firing.

You get a little bit of recoil with that type of gun, it's not significant compared to an actual firearm. You can get a rough idea of exactly how much you get if you look at this video.

https://youtu.be/fquV3BoEtkA?t=341

It's basically like a pellet or bb pistol in terms of felt recoil. The slide does move back and forth. Not every airsoft gun does this, only the fancy "gas blow back" pistols. The ones with electric motors, like the rifles, basically have no recoil at all, same for the el-cheapo spring guns.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Some of the airsoft stuff from Japan is crazy close to the real thing (and costs almost as much). It's the closest thing they get to real guns, so they take them seriously. They obviously don't recoil as much as a real pistol, but it's about as close as you can get in a training aid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom