Airsoft parts on an AR-15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I was checking prices on a few AR parts today. Someone at a local gunshop suggested instead of buying an overpriced Arms BUIS getting one meant for an airsoft rifle. I scoffed at first, but pulled one up on the internet. $30 vs $130? Hmmmm.... SO, has anyone else tried this successfully? Were you satisfied?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Someone else mentioned that Magpul was coming out with sights, but I couldn't find anything on them on their website. Any idea when?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm not looking for junk, that's why I asked. A rear sight should not cost $130 though. A mag is much more complicated to make yet costs a sixth as much. Scope rings have the same mounting system, yet cost $30 a pair. There's no reason for a rear sight to cost that much... The carry handle including the rear sight is cheaper than that! Most lower receivers sell for about the same price. Lets face it, manufacturing a rear sight is not rocket science.
    So, when is that magpul coming out?

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Lots more people buy mags than rear flip ups. Less room to spread the R&D costs. I would argue that an A.R.M.S. 40L is more complex than a tube, spring, follower and floor plate, also.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    I was checking prices on a few AR parts today. Someone at a local gunshop suggested instead of buying an overpriced Arms BUIS getting one meant for an airsoft rifle. I scoffed at first, but pulled one up on the internet. $30 vs $130? Hmmmm.... SO, has anyone else tried this successfully? Were you satisfied?

Yes I have and I posted up on here about it awhile ago. Many parts on the AS's are a direct fit.
    I've had BUIS, free float tube's, pistol grips and stocks in my hands and they will all fit are VERY well made.

My free float tube (full length) cost me 30 bux

Some guys are modifying an HK model and using the recivers in a real weapon

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    This is 1920's technology. Its no more complicated than what's on my Enfield. Yes, it fits on a picatinny rail. I think $40 would be plenty for a good rear sight. They're taking advantage of us... just because it goes on an AR doesn't mean they can charge us 3x as much.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    This is 1920's technology. Its no more complicated than what's on my Enfield. Yes, it fits on a picatinny rail. I think $40 would be plenty for a good rear sight. They're taking advantage of us... just because it goes on an AR doesn't mean they can charge us 3x as much.

LACamper,
    You get the metal, do all the work, anodize them to match the rifle, guarantee them, accept liability and I'll take 4 of them @ $40.00 each.
    No deposit. I'll pay you when your done & I feel they are adequate. I can walk at any time as I assume no risk. I can rent you the equipment but not the consumables. Jigging & Fixturing is your problem along with tooling.
    If you need to clarify any specs just ask. Yes they are the 2 position with windage and elevation adjustment.
    I need them quick. When can you have them. I'd like them before the weekend as I intend to shoot on Saturday or Sunday.
    Let's roll,
    RDO

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    thread-pic%20(188).gif

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Yes, built that way it would be very expensive. Cars would cost $1,000,000. A water pump would be $2000. A bench vise would be $1000.
    But they built one out of wood or some other easily modeled material, then shipped it off to a foundry to have the parts made. The parts get shipped back, they assemble them and stick them in an envelope.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Yes, built that way it would be very expensive. Cars would cost $1,000,000. A water pump would be $2000. A bench vise would be $1000.
    But they built one out of wood or some other easily modeled material, then shipped it off to a foundry to have the parts made. The parts get shipped back, they assemble them and stick them in an envelope.

So you can't do them for $40. I'm confused. You already had it figured out. You have the 1920's technology Enfield example. I'm not asking for a car, water pump or bench vise.

You are the one that said it was so easy to do. I was going to get you to make a bunch of mags for everone here that I could sell for $7.50. I think your failure to produce the $40 rear sights does not boost my confidence.

You are not in manufacturing are you?

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    There are economies to scale - but that is often misunderstood. It also creates another set of costs.

Building cheap & making a profit are not as easy to accomplish as people think. Most things look easy when you are not doing it.

I do agree alot of AR stuff is seemingly overpriced.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom