American Sniper - Possible spoliers within

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Seems I am not the only one that noticed the doll! :mamoru:

Type in: "fake baby in American Sniper" into Google search bar.

Damn! :flamed:

Oh, and as it turns out, Eastwood did make the decision after he ran into issues with two "real" babies that were scheduled to work!

Last edited:

constant243

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2015
    prairieville, la
    Have only seen a little tv since it came out, but the Left seems to be split on the response so far. There has been the typical Michael Moore BS, but still hard for them to play down the box office numbers. Great story. Especially after all the BS in Paris and now in Belgium.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Want to know how off-the-charts leftist Michael Moore is? The movie (along with Eastwood & Cooper) received high praise from Jane Fonda. :doh::doh::doh:

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Went see it after work last night. Saw a few "sweeps" during some of the breech footage. Great show!! I knew how it was going to end, still the last few minuets were heart breaking. After all he went through, to go out like he did. Again Great Movie about a great Hero!!! :bowdown:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Saw it last week, just haven't been here in a while. As stated, it touched on some not so popular topics regarding vets, and additionally the merit of service from military spouses/dependents. Rarely does society consider their sacrifices as well. There's a lot of missed holidays, first steps, Christmas mornings, etc. It's rough on a relationship in ways civilians just can't understand.

Im surprised that no one here mentioned how the theater was after the credits rolled. It's the first movie I remember seeing where it was completely silent until people hit the parking lot. Other than a few sniffles, you could have heard a mouse fart.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I don't disagree with this at all. But I think they decided to target it at a very specific audience- veterans and their families who have been through this..

Yeah, definitely not a chick flick.
    I read the book a year or so back and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think ol' Clint did it some justice.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Seems I am not the only one that noticed the doll! :mamoru:

Type in: "fake baby in American Sniper" into Google search bar.

Damn! :flamed:

Oh, and as it turns out, Eastwood did make the decision after he ran into issues with two "real" babies that were scheduled to work!

I actually said something to my wife in the movie about it. "I hope the gun props cost more than that doll..."

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    You mean to tell me we have a movie commemorating the life and tragedy of an all around American War Hero and the biggest thing people can talk about regarding the movie is a fake baby?? Come on now. Every shot fired was fake (other than target shooting), his BUDs Training was fake, the Iraqi Militants were fake, choppering around in some of the scenes (as well as some of the scenes with them in the air flying around) were fake, IT'S A MOVIE not a documentary... Avatar was HORRIBLE, did you see all those fake blue people?? So fake!! Please.

I watched American Sniper last night. To tell you the truth, Kyle's need to return for FOUR (yeah, four) tours over there makes him just as much of a hero as the number of kills or lives he saved. Sienna Miller's portrayal of Taya was dead on (and she looked just like her!). I really enjoyed how they focused on the Team and his struggles at home while he battled not only the enemy, but the demons in his own head, finding some sense of resolve in helping wounded and suffering vets to become whole again.

I commend Eastwood and Cooper (who actually owns the rights to the movie and produced it) for being able to compress the book "American Sniper" into the short length of the movie. This film could have EASILY been adapted into several films to cover everything included in the book.

Now to see if the movie gets snubbed at the Academy Awards.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    You mean to tell me we have a movie commemorating the life and tragedy of an all around American War Hero and the biggest thing people can talk about regarding the movie is a fake baby?? Come on now. Every shot fired was fake (other than target shooting), his BUDs Training was fake, the Iraqi Militants were fake, choppering around in some of the scenes (as well as some of the scenes with them in the air flying around) were fake, IT'S A MOVIE not a documentary... Avatar was HORRIBLE, did you see all those fake blue people?? So fake!! Please.

I watched American Sniper last night. To tell you the truth, Kyle's need to return for FOUR (yeah, four) tours over there makes him just as much of a hero as the number of kills or lives he saved. Sienna Miller's portrayal of Taya was dead on (and she looked just like her!). I really enjoyed how they focused on the Team and his struggles at home while he battled not only the enemy, but the demons in his own head, finding some sense of resolve in helping wounded and suffering vets to become whole again.

I commend Eastwood and Cooper (who actually owns the rights to the movie and produced it) for being able to compress the book "American Sniper" into the short length of the movie. This film could have EASILY been adapted into several films to cover everything included in the book.

Now to see if the movie gets snubbed at the Academy Awards.

No one said it was a bad movie, we're just pointing out something uncharacteristic of Clint's typical high budget work. And you're right- Taya was portrayed flawlessly. IMO The saddest part of this whole situation to me is how many people are asking "is this a true story?"

The book was just astounding. They could have (I dare say should have?) made this a trilogy.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    No one said it was a bad movie, we're just pointing out something uncharacteristic of Clint's typical high budget work. And you're right- Taya was portrayed flawlessly. IMO The saddest part of this whole situation to me is how many people are asking "is this a true story?"

The book was just astounding. They could have (I dare say should have?) made this a trilogy.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking on the posters here... I was voicing my dislike for all of the "fake baby" in the media. They would rather focus the entire movie on the doll. My frustration is that I've heard more about the damn doll than the movie. :rofl:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking on the posters here... I was voicing my dislike for all of the "fake baby" in the media. They would rather focus the entire movie on the doll. My frustration is that I've heard more about the damn doll than the movie. :rofl:

This story is everything liberals hate to hear about, hate to see, and hate to see people rally behind. All until the last chapter, anyway. In a liberal based media, this is to be expected.

Screw rotten tomatoes. When michael moore hates a movie, I buy 3 tickets whether I see it or not.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

:awais: Caution 180 degree turn ahead! :awais:

Damn unions are now even corrupting baby actors that can't even walk! Talk about cradle to grave parasitism. :mamoru:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Yeah, definitely not a chick flick.

My wife, when we were heading to the movies last week, said: "You already know how it ends, depressingly, so let's not see that." I couldn't see physically dragging her in and making her watch it, so we ended up seeing something she picked, a current Disney offering, Into the Woods. SPOILER ALERT! That movie will spoil your appetite for anything Disney for a few years! Neither of us knew it was actually a musical. Oh. My. GOD! I haven't been that bored in a theater since Titanic.

So she was late from work last night, son was staying at grandmas, so I went by myself to see American Sniper. I haven't been in a theater that full since Titanic. Certainly not bored last night, riveted to my seat throughout despite the usually shared large drink being instead consumed only by me. First kill scene might have driven my wife out, if not then definitely the butcher-with-the-drill scene would have done it. I don't know that I've ever been in a movie where people in the audience clapped at the end, and I've never walked out of a theater where the crowd was so silent and somber.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I've never walked out of a theater where the crowd was so silent and somber.

Saving Private Ryan was that way when I saw it

Anyway, this was the first movie I've been to a theater to see since cowboys and aliens (dad really wanted to see that) as I generally don't watch movies, out or at home, but I was out of town for work training and everyone else wanted to see it. Glad I did. I really had no idea what this movie was about when I went to see it, when I hear about movies or hollywood, I tune it out, like football. Unlike most movies I watch, I was happy to let my money go towards paying to make this movie. Generally I am rooting for a movie to tank so they stop making garbage. I thought it was so well done that I will likely take my wife to see it (if we can get some time away form the kids. If not, Netflix). Yes, I also noticed a baby doll, but I forgot about it 10 seconds later, and was not reminded of it until I read this thread. I also remember thinking you would never hold a baby up against your shirt after feeding it without a towel or something, but lighten up, what did that have to do with the movie? I would enjoy movies so much more if the took 2/3 of the budget they put towards effects and paid some decent writers to fill the movie with plot instead of eye candy.

Not being in the military and never going into combat, I feel many civilians have a hard time empathizing with combat veterans. It is unintentional, and veterans are held with upmost respect, but it is hard to understand what happens to a person after events so traumatic. My wife and I were actually discussing this a few weeks ago, her being an ER/ICU nurse and me spending a few years as a paramedic, while never having PTSD or dealing with what a solider has to go though in combat, know how certain things can be hard to let go of, and can come out of no where and haunt you. Honestly, sometimes the squeal of a child playing on the playground will give me some goose bumps, it doesn't always sound like playing to me. She said now, after working emergency, she can understand PTSD a little better. It's not just someone jumping when a car backfires, or some crazy homeless man flashing back to the jungle, it's much deeper than that. Hopefully this movie will help everyone understand a little better what these soldiers deal with coming home, and help soldiers feel comfortable seeking the help they need instead of letting it build up and negatively effecting their lives.

Oh yeah, also, it makes me sick when I hear someone calling any solider a coward or a back shooter simply because of the type of job they do. Mr. Moore, keep it up, people are hopefully waking up to what you are all about.

Last edited:

NinjaAnn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    The book. the book was amazing and really spells out the thought behind CK. He explains how he dealt with the job and talent for the job he was given. The book also highlighted how CK viewed the enemy as evil and never regretted a single shot he took in battle. A lot of liberals are attacking this idea and trying to ruin CK's reputation because of the "glory" he received as "the legend". Let us not forget how his military career began, out of outrage for the violence toward our country. CK fought to defend more than his honor, more than our honor. He fought because he believed in his cause and knew he was doing the right thing. That is why he was not afraid to meet his maker and account for each of the shots fired as a sniper for the US.

Top Bottom