An Ungrateful Rant

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I'm a "retired older person" and I can assure you, not everyone fits the profile you are trying to put us in. I am 100% debt free, I have investments, and I resent the entitlement mentality just like you do. But Social Security in not an "entitlement" in the sense that you imply. All the money I paid in to SS all my life was squandered by Liberal politicians. Most of that money was wasted on people who paid nothing into the system. It is not unrealistic for me to expect some of it back. And guess what, I'm still paying Social Security taxes just like every other worker. I also feel sorry for the younger generations of hard working Americans who can see the waste of of their dollars into a bottomless pit dictated by politicians buying votes with our money.

I could not agree more. The younger generation and the older generation are all being screwed by the same entity. The federal government. And keeping the generations divided is to their advantage. While we fight they keep screwing us all. I would like to crap on LBJ's grave. This is where most of todays government deficit problems started. There will be a day of reckoning and it will happen in the not too far future. Just look at the national deficit being ran up. Do we really think America can pay our debtors and continue with entitlement spending at current levels?

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    You're damed right I'm entitled to it (and so are you). My money was taken away from me without my consent for over 50 years. Now I have a chance to get some of it back and I feel NO shame in it whatsoever. I'm not the thief in this Government ponzi scheme, the governmant is. I'm just getting back some of what was always mine.

And like I said, I feel sorry for the younger generation who will suffer most in this. Your anger would be better channeled at those who are really at fault. Those who leech off the system and have never contributed into it. Food stamps, welfare, AFDC, EIC, public housing, etc, etc, etc.

All I wanted was to hear you admit it! (after such a denial)

It's ok to feel you deserve it. I get a check from the VA every month, and I feel I deserve it too!

HOWEVER: it CANT be sustained.

Your and my bennifits NEED to be reduced in order for our country to make it. (I'm with you in thinking that welfare needs to be cut first, but it ALL needs to be cut. Not because we want it to be, but out of necessity!)

Now I just need you to admit that other thing you know, and don't want to admit:
    People who weren't ALIVE when your money was stolen don't "Owe" it to you..... They didn't take it, and it's not right, when your home has been broken into and robbed, to go to your nephew's house and take his TV saying he "owes you" because someone stole YOURS! (which is what your claiming!)

I disagree, and believe that this thread should remain open, we just need to behave like rational adults rather than stomping our feet and screaming about what we are "owed"!

I have been paying into Social Security(not by choice) since 1964. Give me back what I paid in and you will never hear from me again.

Feel free to collect from those who took it.

Don't look at me, I wasn't ALIVE in the 60's!

Last edited:

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Rattler,
    You can state that you have no sympathy for retirement age people that are not prepared. Yes we lived through the sixties, eighties and nineties. Not everybodies life goes according plans. Life can throw you some real curveballs. My wife died of cancer at 43 years old. Medical bills and succession can be a life changer. I hope your life goes according to your plan. FWIW I do not need your sympathy, just your respect.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Rattler,
    You can state that you have no sympathy for retirement age people that are not prepared. Yes we lived through the sixties, eighties and nineties. Not everybodies life goes according plans. Life can throw you some real curveballs. My wife died of cancer at 43 years old. Medical bills and succession can be a life changer. I hope your life goes according to your plan. FWIW I do not need your sympathy, just your respect.

Doesn't that respect work both ways?

Isn't it disrespectful to say to someone:
    "I had something stolen from me before you existed, and I don't care that you didn't take it, but I'm taking from you because it was taken from me!"

That's what bullies do, not something to be respected.

-not trying to be inflammatory, but I think it's an honest question.
    One that i s being asked more and more, no matter the attempts to stop it.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    The voting public never had a chance to either institute the program or to fix it. And let's be clear, I and my generation is not handing you a bag of s***, Liberal politicians did that. And if those Liberal politicians had not raided the Social Security fund to pay for vote buying programs, SS would not be approaching insovency.
    And all of you mad young guys(and rightly so) aren't fooling anybody here. If you live long enough and SS is still there, I'm willing to bet my retirement that you will be in line just like me to get some of your money back.

All that being said, I agree with geauxbubba, this thread serves no useful purpose and should be closed.

17 Trillion dollars is a bag of ****. The liberal politicians were voted into office by.....

I'm not mad at you, I know you didn't vote for them, I'm honestly not mad at anyone. I've been aware that I shouldn't expect a government check when I get older, but that I will be part of the reason others are able to cash their checks. It is what it is, no sense in getting upset because life isn't fair, that's life.

I'm not closing any threads any time soon, I don't moderate here anymore(thank god, now I don't need to worry about being a dick :))

Last edited:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    17 Trillion dollars is a bag of ****. The liberal politicians were voted into office by.....

I'm not mad at you, I know you didn't vote for them, I'm honestly not mad at anyone. I've been aware that I shouldn't expect a government check when I get older, but that I will be part of the reason others are able to cash their checks. It is what it is, no sense in getting upset because life isn't fair, that's life.

I'm not closing any threads any time soon, I don't moderate here anymore(thank god, now I don't need to worry about being a dick :))

Don't worry, I'll close it for you, Jack. Oh wait.....****.....

Well at least I will be able to cash in on some social security when I get old. Oh wait.....FML!

rattler

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Marrero, LA
    I didn't start this thread to be disrespectful or profile a whole group of people. I just had a rant to get off my chest about a select group of people who could stand to gain some perspective. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in the way I feel. As for the fellow who patronized me by calling me "hot shot," I resent that. I fought in two foreign wars before I was 21. Three years my life were spent in a combat zone. I've got as much life experience as people twice my age. So try being an adult and talking to me rather than down to me. Thanks for all the replies and points of view. I'm surprised that so many want to close the thread.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I didn't start this thread to be disrespectful or profile a whole group of people. I just had a rant to get off my chest about a select group of people who could stand to gain some perspective. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in the way I feel. As for the fellow who patronized me by calling me "hot shot," I resent that. I fought in two foreign wars before I was 21. Three years my life were spent in a combat zone. I've got as much life experience as people twice my age. So try being an adult and talking to me rather than down to me. Thanks for all the replies and points of view. I'm surprised that so many want to close the thread.

You shouldn't be.... Some people want to hide from the truth.

Young and old, just one more divide and conquer moment courtesy of your federal government.

And WHERE do they get this power?

Hint:

You can't beat Santa...

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I'm a "retired older person" and I can assure you, not everyone fits the profile you are trying to put us in. I am 100% debt free, I have investments, and I resent the entitlement mentality just like you do. But Social Security in not an "entitlement" in the sense that you imply. All the money I paid in to SS all my life was squandered by Liberal politicians. Most of that money was wasted on people who paid nothing into the system. It is not unrealistic for me to expect some of it back. And guess what, I'm still paying Social Security taxes just like every other worker. I also feel sorry for the younger generations of hard working Americans who can see the waste of of their dollars into a bottomless pit dictated by politicians buying votes with our money.

I agree with a lot of what you say...Yet at the same time, I think that the money paid into Social Security was just used to balance the budget for the last 5 decades. When the US was the major manufacturing base after WW-II...because the rest of the world had just been destroyed by each side.....The USA was king. We were the manufacturing base of the world.
    And every worker in the USA paid into SSA. There was a huge surplus. That surplus was used to build a lot of infrastructure. It was used to service debt. The surpluses were put into the general fund and an IOU was given to SSA.

Everything has worked great...and no one was complaining because there has been a huge surplus for decades which was used by the USA to build infrastructure and grow into the Superpower we are today. . Only recently has there even been talk about a SSA deficit. And even then....its still something like 20 years before the SSA actually will be running a deficit.
    FWIW...the only reason it will be broke...is because the baby boomers will all be retired. They just started retiring in 2010 since they were first born in 1943. Also...the answer is to bring jobs back to the US. Screw cheap Chinese crap and bring back the jobs to the US. We have the lowest fuel costs in the world and the best workers in the world with the best quality and highest output....STILL !!!!

louis488

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    New Orleans
    I'm one of those "younger", hard-working Americans who has between 15 and 20 years left before retirement. The politicians and bureaucrats are already saying that Social Security will be DOA when it's time for me to recover what I was FORCED to put into the system. How pissed off do you think I am knowing I'll get none of the money I've been putting in for more than 35 years?? If I could have invested that money, instead of giving it to the government, I would still have it at retirement and most likely made 3 to 4 times more money that it would sitting in the government coffers... :mad:

I am in the same boat as you as far as 15 to 20 years to retirement, and it sickens me to think what I could have if I was allowed to invest that money and if God forbids something should happen to me at least it would be there for my wife and kid

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ... I and my generation is not handing you a bag of s***, Liberal politicians did that...

The government took my money for decades (and even as retirees I and my wife still pay SS tax on every $ we earn), so I want the government to pay me back now. If the "voting public" doesn't like how the government meets that obligation, then they should do something about it!

Last edited:

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Well why don't you young ones do something about it?Vote the devils out.Protest and change this country back to what it was.You have the power use it.Don't just be like all others before you and whine about it but do nothing.You have the power of youth behind you and can make things right........Now back to reality The gooberment is like a crackhead wife who wont quit the dope even for her kids sake.NO ONE in politics have any love for there subjects/slaves (us).Voting is a joke.Those that are given the power are by other power hungry ppl not by voting.So what are all of you smart young ones gonna do?Are you gonna just **** and moan but do nothing like all others before you?

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    At 25 I had the exact conversation with my Grandparents regarding the long-term viability of social security. While I agree with your commentary I hate that you lump everyone over 50 into the same category; we're not. I am fortunate to have saved some money during my working years such that I will have a comfortable retirement in a few years. That said, I'm now concerned that my efforts toward saving will now be taxed even more to supplement the wealth redistribution. Think about it, that's a double whammy in that I saved money to compensate for diminished social security and now I won't get the full benefit and I will pay out with the money I saved.

Break-break: This is really about the far left pursuit of "equal outcomes" vice "equal opportunity." They make working hard and success out to be some sort of evil pursuit. In the past, hard work and success were admired and applauded. We need to change the mindset of the electorate and stop electing wealth redistribution politicians. This lecture by the Ayn Rand institute is superb so please watch it and vote accordingly: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1RHSglwftg#t=18>.

Hot Pepper

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Pearland,TX
    It would be nice to see some sort of plan for those of us, "younger generation" , to be phased out of the program and allowed to invest the "Social Security" contributions. I understand the position of the "baby boomers" wanting what is "theirs", but it really should'nt have to fall on the "younger generations." If i have little to know chance to actually recieve any of the money I put into the system I should'nt be forced to contribute. Anyways, this is one of the reasons that companies are getting any from pensions... It isn't sustainable!

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Well why don't you young ones do something about it?Vote the devils out.Protest and change this country back to what it was.You have the power use it.Don't just be like all others before you and whine about it but do nothing.You have the power of youth behind you and can make things right........Now back to reality The gooberment is like a crackhead wife who wont quit the dope even for her kids sake.NO ONE in politics have any love for there subjects/slaves (us).Voting is a joke.Those that are given the power are by other power hungry ppl not by voting.So what are all of you smart young ones gonna do?Are you gonna just **** and moan but do nothing like all others before you?

Personally, I'm making absolutely sure that I will never need social security and consider any future promises from the government irrelevant to my planning. This way I'm never stuck in a position(like many of the other generation are) of depending on the government to pay their bills.

Hot Pepper

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Pearland,TX
    Personally, I'm making absolutely sure that I will never need social security and consider any future promises from the government irrelevant to my planning. This way I'm never stuck in a position(like many of the other generation are) of depending on the government to pay their bills.

+1!

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    A problem with this whole discussion is that unfortunately, the term "entitlements" has been missapplied to programs that in reality, people are not entitled to. You have to understand that the term "entitlement" applies to a payment or a benefit that you actually earned or payed for...that you are entitled to.

I paid SS tax for years and continue to do so. I paid Medicare taxes for years and continue to do so. To all of you veterans who served in the military.......you are entitled to benefits for your servive to the country. These are true entitlements.

Then there are many government handouts that are not true entitlements even though they are called such. Welfare, AFDC, EIC, Food Stamps, Gov. housing, the list is endless. These people are getting our money and do not or have not paid the taxes to earn their "gift". Throw into this mess Government waste and sweetheart deals and you can see where the real problem is. This segment of the federal budget is the single biggest piece of the pie and the real reason for our growing deficit.

I don't have my head in the sand. I understand where the problem is. Politicians have stolen from people who contribute to the economy and give it to the people who contribute nothing.

It is patently unfair to call retirees whiners. We paid for our right to receive benefits. I didn't ask for the system, it was forced on me just like it was forced on every other contributing worker.I'm just as mad as everyone else here about how Government has failed us all.

I tell you what, lets cut all the government waste, fraud, and handout programs to people who have not earned it, then come back to me about cutting the SS benefits that I paid for and we'll talk about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom