Another Big Cat Spotted...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I personally was in Indiana a few years ago, and they had this very discussion.. I saw a big black cat running and it was probably 4 ft long or better and the tail was used as part of a balance when it ran.. This was before cell phones had cameras but I personally believe they are there and down here as well..

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    A friend and I saw a black panther cross the road while we drove through the high fenced private area of Clint Smith's Thunder Ranch in the hill country of Texas. It was at least nine feet long from tip to tip.

It gave me chills even though I was inside a truck.

If you think you are king of the woods, think again.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Maybe one day soon, they'll actually believe these big cats are thriving in our state. I've zero doubts about them being in the woods in North La. Figured they'd be deep in the basin as well. Never thought they'd be around Kaplan though!!!

You've never been scared until you've been in the woods at night, alone and unarmed - and heard one scream nearby.
    They are here on this end of the basin as well...one was seen on the south side of Hwy 90 during daylight hours,and I do not doubt the gentleman that saw it,and saw it twice...LDWF denies it though....

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Back in my CB days seemed like 9 out of 10 people talking on the CB had one behind their house. Noboy had one in front of their house. :doh:

Bring me a dead one.

Ole Logan sure seems like he's a expert on them. :rofl:

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I have never seen a black panther but have seen the tan color ones in north Mississippi near LA line and also in North Alabama on my dads property.

I wont argue the Black Panther thing being real or not. The Jag can be black and they are in Texas and Mexico....it may be possible for them to migrate this way but that is a tough trek.

I know people who have claimed to see them....some I would not trust and some I do trust very much. I have not seen one. Only the tan ones.

Cubsfan

Holy Cow!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Gretna, LA
    Cougars are found in LA. Black panthers are not found here (naturally anyway). People see things. They over estimate size. Pictures can distort scale. If large black cats are in LA, they are escaped pets. There have been lots of people in LA and TX with pet leopards. Animals escape or are set free. We don't have wild leopards, never have. Jaguars were here a couple hundred years ago, but most likely are not now. Even if they are, very few jags are black. We have destryoed most US jaguar habitat. Jagarundi are not as large as people claim these "panthers" to be but they are black. They could be here. They are almost certainly in TX. They aren't going to hurt people. They aren't as big as cougars. Ocelots have been seen in northern Mexico and southern TX. They are not black but spotted. Again, not large but a cat nonetheless.
    One more thing to consider. If you don't draw attention to large cats in LA, they don't get attention. Yahoos aren't killing them because "they are gonna eat my kids". The best way to protect them is to deny them. Concealed means concealed.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    One more thing to consider. If you don't draw attention to large cats in LA, they don't get attention. Yahoos aren't killing them because "they are gonna eat my kids". The best way to protect them is to deny them. Concealed means concealed.

Hence the law: We don't think they really exist, but if you shoot one, you're gonna go broke paying the fine right before we toss yo ass in jail.

Sound about right?

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Cougars are found in LA. Black panthers are not found here (naturally anyway). People see things. They over estimate size. Pictures can distort scale. If large black cats are in LA, they are escaped pets. There have been lots of people in LA and TX with pet leopards. Animals escape or are set free. We don't have wild leopards, never have. Jaguars were here a couple hundred years ago,,..........

There are "wild" animals that can be said not to be "naturally occurring"...hogs, horses, sheep, rats, nutria, cats, etc...and that's just some of the mammals. Some were brought as pets or livestock and were released or escaped. Some were here in LA in the 1400's. Like buffalo and even jaguars, I suspect.

No matter how they come back, I say let them come.

Cubsfan

Holy Cow!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Gretna, LA
    I am all for cougars, pumas, or whatever you want to call them living in LA. They belong here. That was my point. If jagarundi, ocelots, or even jaguar could find habitat to survive and return here, then awesome. Hell, even if they are escaped "pets" that have lived undetected for years, so be it; leave them alone. I am all for letting predators return to the wild. Bears need help, wolves need help. Unfortunately, a number of people on BS.com would probably disagree as they could in some way possibly injure someone at some point in time(see snakes, spiders, bobcats, neighbors dog, feral cats, etc.) Shoot first, ask questions later.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Part of this NWO is to have a massive depopulating of the planet and "re-wilding" North America. I have so much stuff and have thrown away so much stuff... I had/have documents that purport that there have been discussions to bring elephants, rhinos and crap here.

No one caught or chose not to comment on the link I commented on revealing the mindset of some "to help" or "assist" these non-native species. From Tundra Wolves introduced into Minnesota and wolf-coyote hybrids on the East Coast and if these cats are indeed melanistic one has to wonder what species is it...

As to welcoming back jaguars... You must be kidding. They were and still are in TX and AZ. One was shot in Beaumont back in the 1930s.

They are far more powerful than pumas; not sure of their personality but none are as ill-tempered when aroused like leopards; pumas are shy and I suspect Jaguars are, too., BUT they are as powerful as a small African lion and supposedly have the strongest bite and teeth of the big cats. When you look at them they resemble large, stocky dogs in build; very powerful.

I am not supportive of artificial reintroduction of them. By denying their existence (just like in Southeastern Michigan) while ACTUALLY INTRODUCING THEM INTO THE AREA THEY EVENTUALLY HAVE A BREEDING POPULATION. I guarantee if u shot one they'd want your Soul.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    After a rancher in Lasalle County, Texas, was assured by the TX P&W Dept that there were no Jaguars in Texas, he returned with several game camera photos of a large male jaguar on his driveway. This was less than ten years ago.

I personally saw an ocelot on a residential street in Cameron County, Texas, around 1990. It was found roadkill, about three miles away, two days later; confirmed by the local game wardens.

leV

Last edited:
    Top Bottom