Any Quitters?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    I quit (smoking) September 2003 waiting for surgery day. Back then I told myself that just for today or the next hour, I wasn't going to smoke. Years prior I tried the patch since airlines went total non-smoking, but I ended up smoking and leaving the patch on. Never been a gum chewer, so that wasn't an option. Just cold turkey.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I am in the process of quitting dipping again. I've been chewing a lot of gum, and it seems to help. Sunflower seeds work too but they get pretty addicting and all that salt makes me feel like crap later. I've also been taking a nicotine gum or two from my buddy at work when I get really anxious. It aint easy... and I've taken a dip or two since I quit, when times really got tough... but I didn't give up. Don't buy a can no matter how bad you want to.

I've started to try other things to keep my mind occupied.

Never found the tobacco-less "dip" to help. It's just a tease and it tastes like crap.

Good luck!

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I consider quitting all the time, just have not decided to. I try to limit myself. One in the morning after breakfast, one when I get home from work and one more in the evening. That is during the week. Weekend depends on what Im doing.

Not qualified to talk about smoking...but when would that stop me ??

If 3 a day is the real number and it makes you get along smoother I don't see the problem. ??

Really, if smoking or dipping is about stress relief and it's done in small quantities...is a little worse than a few drinks or extra food to compensate ??

Going the extra mile is the killer, IMHO

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Gave up Copenhagen 11/1/10. Don't know if the urge will ever go away, especially after eating. The things I taste and smell now is amazing.

K9CopSGT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Lutcher, LA
    I quit smoking on May 29, 2010 after being a smoker for 24 years. I used Chantix for the physiological cravings and little stirrer straws to chew on for the psychological cravings. Worked like a charm.

That being said, I WANTED to quit, for me and my health (I only smoked outside). That is about 90% of the battle.

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    I quit once for a month, cold turkey, while working in Memphis TN.
    After a month I'd hit The Flying Saucer at the top of Beale St for a beer after work and started mainlining Camel non-filters.
    I figured if it was that easy to quit then I could do it anytime.
    That was easily ten yrs ago and I'm still a pack a day Marlboro man who don't have the balls to try it again.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I quit dipping about 8 years ago using sun flower seeds (I then quit that b/c of the amount of salt). I do miss it when I'm doing outdoor activities. I've tried dipping two different times about a year after quitting when hunting; I turned green once and puked the second time trying b/c my stomach could no longer handle it.

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    I'm in the same boat 'bro. Just quit smoking cigarettes. The only thing making me smile right now is the thought of how much ammo I can buy now instead of the average 4 cartons per month that I smoke! (-: It's hard man. And it's a daily struggle. But damn, that's a lot of freak'n money saved.

T-Bone42

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Scooter- I would agree about the new found tastebuds. I drank a couple of beers after work the other day and was startled by what was going on in my mouth. It was like I was 8 yrs old again and tasting beer for the 1st time.

Bulldog- found a product called BaccOff that's actually not too bad. So far its gives me something to lean on throughout the day.

I've already made a deal with myself that the money saved will go towards the purchase of a new lead slinger. Time to start window shopping!

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    I quit smoking for 3 years. I used nicorette gum and commit lozenges. I was ready to quit; I was tired of smoking.

Picked it back up around September. Already about to start the quitting process again.

I wish you the best.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I quit smoking in august or sept of 09 after 13+ years of a pack a day minimum, think I smoked 2 cigars since then. Still get occasional cravings, but they go away quickly.
    I used about 6 or 8 of the patches and they do help. The gum was nasty! I had a prescription for chantix and neve filled it.
    The biggest thing to remember is you can only quit if you really want to, and damn do you have to want to!
    I have been told that nobdy really quits, they just stop for an extended time. Some that have not smoked in 20 or more years still crave them.

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    Go cold turkey. Man up. Don't worry about the DT's, just do it, get it done and NEVER, EVER, FRIGGIN' EVER, look back and go there again. You will have 3 weeks of hell, but just pull up your man drawers and do it. I quit (both smoke and smokeless) 6 years ago and I will never do it or have to quit again. As fun as it was to start, it was tough to quit. But, if you quit definitively you will be done for the duration. Good luck guys! Hope you are well soon.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I quit smoking when I was 21. i had smoked since about the age of 15. I was seeing a girl that didn't like it and that was enough distraction/ motivation to keep me going - beats the hell out of chewing gum. I found the cravings never got worse or more intense for me and after 2 weeks, I knew I was never going back. I occasionally smoke a cigar but not very often.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I quit on 7-4-10 after 3 packs a day for 15 years. Now the smell of someone smoking doesnt bother me but the smell of a smoker kills me lol sounds dumb I know. Taste and smell have crazy changed. I have been running and hitting the weights . I feel so much better these days I really wish I hadnt put it off so long.

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    I quit on 7-4-10 after 3 packs a day for 15 years. Now the smell of someone smoking doesnt bother me but the smell of a smoker kills me lol sounds dumb I know. Taste and smell have crazy changed. I have been running and hitting the weights . I feel so much better these days I really wish I hadnt put it off so long.

Dude, you are so right! Now that I look back on it, a freshly lit cigarette smelled so good, then the rest was kinda nasty, and if the person came inside after smoking, the smell on the person was even worse. And yes food did taste better. Sense of smell was better too.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    I quit smoking when my first son was born. He had really bad pulmonary issues and the doctors said that even though I didnt smoke around him, that it being on my clothes was making him sick. I switched to Skoal because I was in college and figured I had enough stress on me at that time to even attempt quitting. That was August of 06. Dipping a can a day now. I have an inkling to quit, but can seem to make myself do it. I tried to Camel Snus pouches for a while, but missed the good ole fashion pinch. My wife wants me to quit, and it breaks my heart when my boys walk around spitting in empty water bottles cuz they wanna be like dad.

Top Bottom