Anybody here raise tomatoes ? Couple of questions .

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I'm thinking about raising a plant or two in a container . I'm the only one in the house that eats them so I'm just playing around here . I'm not interested in the little small ones . Sandwich or burger sized . What's the easiest variety to grow and what is the best type of fertilizer , etc,?

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've had good luck with the Creole variety. We have tried a bunch, and I come back to that one as my favorite. I don't remember the brand, but we have a bag that specifically says "tomato and vegitable fertilizer" on the outside. Works well enough for us.

Jambalayajames

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 28, 2022
    Luling
    What type of container are you looking to use , better boy is a good variety , creole ( I know they sell it as creole but ) is really the soil it’s grown in , in the south around pine trees and very acidic, in fertilizers are you trying to go organic

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    What type of container are you looking to use , better boy is a good variety , creole ( I know they sell it as creole but ) is really the soil it’s grown in , in the south around pine trees and very acidic, in fertilizers are you trying to go organic
    I got a very large pot from Walmart . Probably 8 gal. or so .

Brendanbec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    Belle chasse Louisiana
    I'm thinking about raising a plant or two in a container . I'm the only one in the house that eats them so I'm just playing around here . I'm not interested in the little small ones . Sandwich or burger sized . What's the easiest variety to grow and what is the best type of fertilizer , etc,?
    We grow fantastic and celebrities, like jambalaya said creole isn't really a variety its the soil it's grown in. If you have any more questions let me know.

-Brendan Becnel

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    I had great results using "Black Kow" manure fertilizer and planting the tomatoes so that they only got sun for half the day. The heat of SE TX will burn them up if placed where they get full sunlight. Good Luck!

Jambalayajames

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 28, 2022
    Luling
    That size pot is good to make sure it has good drainage, also make sure your soil has enough peat moss to hold moisture , Evening sun will help you out much more than morning sun, and if you want to keep with organic fertilizer check out fish meal, alfalfa meal, cottonseed meal, worm castings, bonemeal, bloodmeal, black cow manure and black chicken manure

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    After the plant sets the fruit, make sure to apply some calcium nitrate to combat blossom end rot. Also keep a eye out for cut worms, especially the big horned worms. They can destroy a young plant in just a few days.

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    I have a 5 gallon bucket I use. Usually just 2 plants and I have all the tomatoes I can stand. Use miracle grow but don't go overboard or they get too big and split.

Hang the bucket from the old clothesline T pole and let them grow out the bottom of the bucket.

Soil I use a bit of buckshot mud we got out here, Mixed with burned gin trash, peat moss, and ash from pecan limbs.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    When you plant it, bury it. Tomato seedlings should be planted with the bottom 2/3 of the plans in the ground. Trust me. A 5 gallon bucket with holes works great for one vine. Start half full of soil, dig the hole half way into the half bucket of dirt so you leave about 6” of dirt for root growth. As the plant grows out of the bucket full in the soil and top off the bucket when you’ve got about a foot of plant out of the top. Water daily.
    Acidic soil is the best for tomatoes. A little soil sulfur or the iron type fertilizer (about 10-10-10 to 12-12-12) is good. A good source of nitrogen is blood meal.
    I’ve grown my best tomato plants throwing in the oddball azalea fertilizer when it was all I had. When I researched why, I found out azalea like acid soil as well.
    So do blueberries.
    Better boy, early girl and beef master and creole are still my all time favorites for big tomatoes but if you like cherry tomatoes you want a husky.

Good luck!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    In the winter I generally only grow lettuce and cilantro
    Emerald oak, Romaine, salad bowl, green leaf, black seed Simpson and butter crisp are my favorites m

Attachments

• 299D4ACE-8DDB-4BDE-9130-ECBFDF8FB471.png
      299D4ACE-8DDB-4BDE-9130-ECBFDF8FB471.png
      4.3 MB · Views: 55
    • BFBC77E7-D2DB-40C3-94D7-1855924ADC40.png
      BFBC77E7-D2DB-40C3-94D7-1855924ADC40.png
      4.3 MB · Views: 67

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    Thank you all for your hints. They have encouraged me to try growing tomatoes in containers. I am looking forward to the results.

puritanize

Administrator
    Admin
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    Sanger, Texas
    I think the heat here gets me on tomatoes.

Trying again, just seeded some inside to start. Called the MORTGAGE LIFTER TOMATO. Some heirloom variety was started by a guy wanting to pay off his mortgage selling his own variety long ago - got them for free. I just think mine get too much direct sun, so considering how I can shade them.

I just opened up a spot this year, letting the rain beat it down some now. Going for melons this year :)

20220307_135136.jpg

20220307_135219.jpg

Dresser91

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2021
    Prairieville
    The best and easiest way is to purchase a earth box can usually get fairly cheap on amazon. Comes with everything you need except dirt and plants. Once you fill box plant tomatoes all you have to do is add water As far as tomatoes all i grow are better boy creole or celebrity

puritanize

Administrator
    Admin
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    Sanger, Texas
    The best and easiest way is to purchase a earth box can usually get fairly cheap on amazon. Comes with everything you need except dirt and plants. Once you fill box plant tomatoes all you have to do is add water As far as tomatoes all i grow are better boy creole or celebrity
    Do they need to be shaded any? Or just watered more? they seem to get a bit hot in the full sun during the main summer months.

Dresser91

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2021
    Prairieville
    Do they need to be shaded any? Or just watered more? they seem to get a bit hot in the full sun during the main summer months.
    As long as they get 8 hr or so .The more the better tho. The box had a 1/4 tube you add water at. The box has a built in space in bottom it holds about 3 gallons. During middle of summer 2 plants will empty the water daily. Just go to their web page it’s extremely simple easy to grow tomatoes

Attachments

• 095B4E96-4AE9-4FF1-B01C-D4683FEAE6A2.jpeg
      095B4E96-4AE9-4FF1-B01C-D4683FEAE6A2.jpeg
      370.3 KB · Views: 45

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    I grow them.. Not sure your climate? I grow Cherokee Purples in the Northeast in 8 gallon pots. 8-10 gallon pots. 5 gallon is not quite big enough. Down South you can grow vine tomatoes all year.

I recommend promix veggie soil, and four 1/2" drain holes per bucket/pot.

You need a heavy metal wire cone per pot, and a stake to tie the plants to. Bails of polymer tie wire.

As they grow tie main branches up gently with loose locked windings.

Once a week I use Miracle Grow tomato fertilizer. Mix one tablespoon per plant in a five gallon bucket with water until froths, share equally with pots.

Semi shade. Buy quality seedlings early and get them potted as early as possible. I spray them with dish soap and water for mites. I use neem oil for beetles.

Each of my bush tomatoes produces over a 100 tomatoes. Sometimes 150+ of the 100+ you get a 40% really big ones, and 50% medium sized and a remaining 10% of runts.

If you use poor grade soil you will get low calcium and black rot on tomatoes.

Nearly forgot to mention water at sun down full soil saturation I do 3 gallons per pot.

Good luck!

Top Bottom