Anybody know anything about the Armalite DEF10 rifle pro or con ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Anybody know anything about the Armalite DEF10 rifle pro or con ? Looking to get one to use for hunting and target shooting and want an AR10 platform without a spending a bunch of money because we all know how well AR15's and AR10's hold their value. I can get the Def10 for $915 total. I'm not going to put a bunch of crap on it, just a 3-9x40 scope or better to hunt with or shoot at up to 300-400 yards max. and more likely 300 yards max. The reviews I have seen on it have been good.

Last edited:

mike308

HandiChamp
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Pearl River
    I have 2 AR10s by Armalite. Both are of the NM version A4 model. I made one into a tactical rifle with an adjustable gas block and muzzle break. The other is a straight up NM AR10 SR that can be used in NRA matches. With no load work up my Tactical rifle put 15 rounds that would be covered by a quarter at 100 yards. So as I work up a load for the gas block this should get better.

The NM SR model has not had much range time but did do a fair job at 600 and 300 yards slow prone. But again not much range time or load work up.

I believe you will like what you have from Armalite. I was very impressed with the fit and finish as well as the 2 stage trigger.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Well I picked up my new Armalite Def 10 rifle and it looks good. A basic no frills AR10 that I'll be using for hunting.
    I put a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 that I had on my 300 BLK on it and sighted it in. The first shot was right on target perfectly at 25 yards at about an inch low so I shot it one more time to confirm and went hunting with it. I didn't see any hogs or deer and I'll shoot it some more to confirm zero at 100 yards and 200 yards. I ordered some 10rd mags for it for hunting.
    It's nice and light for a 308 and I won't be putting any doodads on it to weigh it down. I did put a magpul stock on it and may change out the handguard later on down the road and maybe a bipod but that'll be it. $915 total with FFL fee from Cheaperthandirt.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Congrats. I have an Armalite AR15, very happy with it. When I get around to an AR10, i'll either go with Armalite again, or the Smith and Wesson.

bighanded

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2015
    southeast
    old thread resurrect..sorry..but google brought me here...
    I just purchased a new DEF10... my expectations were mixed..in part, web and gun shop reviews have been strong for the gun...and on the flip side, I understood i was buying a budget rifle.
    Before it even left the store i had them swap for Hogue furniture.. Hogue packages a nice collapse stock and pistol grip..much nicer than the factory plastic.
    The only other thing i noticed is the single stage trigger is horrible..gritty, somewhere around 6lbs... and I mean "around"...cause it just doesn't feel like it's breaking consistently..whether it is or not...it comes down to how it feels.
    I'll likley wind up dropping a better trigger in..and then ya'll are saying 'ok..so now why didnt' you just buy the more expensive rifle" honestly..other than a DPMS...most of the shops in my area are either out of those $1500 models, or I'm having to look at things like the Sig 716 (which I have shot and like btw) but I'm back in the $2k plus market..and just didn't have it at this time..so wanted to try this DEF10.
    not enough range time to talk about reliability yet...nor haven't made it to the longer distance range for some real accuracy (it's been a bit wet here down south lately)...so i'd say for now...mixed reviews...but I appreciate Armalite for working to meet competition and offer a 308 /7.62 platform at the $1k mark..that accepts LR mags but hopefully still bears the Armalite quality in most places.

Top Bottom