Anyone shoot 10mm ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I just got a Smith & Wesson 1086. Understand only +/- 1600 produced. Never owned a 10mm before.
    Does anyone shoot the 10mm? What is your opinion of it?

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Actually, I'm kidding. I'm looking for the big brother of the 1086, the DA/SA 1006.

10mm is a beast of a round. Very impressive. Ammo can be difficult to find, and is costly. It's best that you reload if you plan to shoot it more than an occasional trip to the range.

3rd Generation S&W autos were the cream of the crop as far as 10mm goes. They're heavy as hell, but they're built tough and 10mm will punish the frame on a pistol.

Did you by chance buy it from Pelican Pawn in Denham Springs?

Last edited:

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    As a rule of thumb, most all of the commercial ammo you're gonna find is going to suck.

The commercial loads of 10mm should be labeled 40 S&W Long. They're generally loaded to 1,000fps for a platform capable of 1,400fps. If you don't reload, you'll never see the true potential of the round. You'd honestly be better off with a 40.

gotabyte

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    I shoot it and reload. It's a lot of fun but store bought ammo can be boring. Look for Buffalo Bore or Underwood if you don't reload.

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    I have a Delta Elite and every round I've ever sent downrange came from my own press. 10mm is an awesome round. One thing I hate is harvesting brass. It took @ 4 months to backorder brass and having to keep diligent track of every round possible takes some of the enjoyment out of blasting.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The 9mm and the 11mm are carried and shot by many. The .357Sig, 10mm and .45GAP are three good rounds that very few buy and shoot due to the price of and lack of ammunition.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    10mm is a great round, more so if you reload. Been shooting it for years out of Glocks and now a Colt DE. There seems to be a never ending quest from boutique ammo-makers to lay claim to the latest hyper-nuclear round. I personally won't shoot anything loaded hotter than the standard Double Tap offerings. Unnecessary, IMO. Just empty bragging rights for the ammo makers and shooters. It is a round that works, depending upon bullet weight, at all sorts of velocities and levels of loading. Some people enjoy seeing how close they can come to case failure: the 10mm is a good enough not to require such extremes unless one is the sort of person who believes that nothing exceeds like excess...or in this case, wretched excess.;)

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I have the full sizeglock 10mm. G20 I think. I've shot a box of "cheapos" through it. I'd hate to be on the receiving end.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    The 10mm is a good, hard caliber that's very fun to shoot, provided one does not push it into the truly ridiculous level.

You can enjoy a full house 10mm load with a few commercial brands, but most are simply .40 long. It really comes into it's own when you reload. It's such a versatile caliber that I've made loads soft enough for my gf to enjoy, and loads hot enough I started worrying about my frame (or maybe my hand :D).

As for the effect it has downrange... Well, it's a pistol. It's not magic. The super heavy magnum type listings for it make follow up shots noticeably slower, and the "FBI loads" make it a big, ungainly .40 s&w. my opinion is there is a sweet spot in there, but whether its Actually superior to the .40 is up for interpretation I guess.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    Hey if you like 10mm guns and all things about 10mm ammo please stop by the 10mmFirearms website for experiences from 10mm enthusiast who share this passion.
    http://10mm-firearms.com/index.php

10mm from mild to wild you can't go wrong! These aren't 9mm's, 40's or 45's, they are what they are a ballistically perfect cartridge, "The 10mm"!:D

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    They sure did and then they dropped it after they began to realize (as did the FBI) that most of the Deputies are not gun people and did not bother to learn to shoot their weapon well. It is better to hit the target with less power than to miss it all together.

I have been thinking about buying a Glock 10 mm. I would like one without the finger groves....groves just don't fit my hands. I have three Glocks and only one (G34) has the groves. Would like to have a G23 w/o the groves also.

bjordan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    I have been shooting Delta Elites since just after they came out in the 1980s. Ben through several, have one that I bought new, unfired a couple of years ago. I also had a stainless Colt Double Eagle in 10mm when it came out. I sold it years ago and my cousin carries it when he hunts pigs. He killed a 180 pounder at 80 yards with it. Its on the wall ;) With one of my hand loands over a 180 grain Hornady XTP.

The 10mm is by far, my favorite handgun round. SHTF, I will be wearing a 10mm

benjandpurge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Lafayette
    Yeah, the target ammo is right around 50 fps hotter than .40. I've got two Colt DE's and a Glock 20 and I like shooting them no matter how hot the ammo is. Shooting 200 grain Buffalo Bore is a little louder, but it isn't a whole lot more recoil. I'll save those for hogs. And with the Glock 20, and Self defense rounds, it's good to know that I've got 15 rounds of .357 magnum+ at my disposal.

Can anyone tell me how to add arbitrary achievements, meaningless shooting competition participation, and a dick measuring tool to my signature line?

Top Bottom