AR help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    ok, im looking at getting an AR in the next couple of months. First off im an LEO and this will be used for "personal" use. Ive been looking around and didnt really want to spend $1200 for a Colt. Although i like them a lot.

Well today my squad have an In-Service training doing building searches with Simunition. Well during a lil down time a guy was at the range and and had a couple of AR's .223 and .308. BUT then thing is this, the ones he had were the ****! if you know about AR's you know about carbon build up and the gas tube at times have melted. also if you shoot a mag through it and tear it down, the bolt is smoking hot, too hot to handle. The guy did a demo, he shot a complete mag as fast as he could then tore it down and handed me the bolt, ICE COLD.... plus self lubricating due to the reciever interior being silicon nickle plated. check out this site. http://www.pof-usa.com/

my question is this, do i go out and spend about 900-1200 on a bushmaster or colt. or say screw it and by this one, gun and eoteck, for about $2500?:(

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    If you want a good weapon that will last for quite some time go ahead and buy the bushmaster. If you just want to be able to dump a couple of mags and be able to hand someone the BCG without cooking a hand (I don't know why this is an issue) buy the other rifle.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I love my Rock River, its my personal fun gun as well as for patrol, we could probably meet up at the range sometime if you wanted to shoot it.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I prefer Armalite with their life time warranties. The POF I believe is an HK www.hk-usa.com/le_products_c.html , which is what I think SF groups are switching to, they are just changing the uppers so they can have the gas pistons which I guess are more reliable for their situations. I dont know what you are looking for in an AR, for a non-combat environment I dont see the need for the gas piston.

I have never seen a gas tube melt and I have shot 1000 rounds in an hour in an AR, you just have to keep your weapon clean to expect it to function properly. I realize that with the POF, lube and cleaning is optional; but if I have to pay for a weapon or my life depends on it, I am going to clean and lube it more than necessary and since I dont have Uncle Sam paying for my ammo anymore it wont get tortured with a heavy rate of fire.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Not to hijack the thread, but I am sitting around as we speak working on an order for my first AR build. It is confusing to a newbie. So many manufacturers and accessories, etc. I'll figure it out, though. When I get it all worked out, I will post a thread in this forum getting yalls input. Good luck, George.

Last edited:

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    Not to hijack the thread, but I am sitting around as we speak working on an order for my first AR build. It is confusing to a newbie. So many manufacturers and accessories, etc. I'll firgure it out, though. When I get it all worked out, I will post a thread in this forum getting yalls input. Good luck, George.

im in the same boat!

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I'm having the most trouble deciding between .223 or .308. I understand there are many upsides to .223, among them cost and availability, but being a .45 man at heart, it is hard to hold those two calibers side by side and choose to build something around the puny looking choice.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    The Rock River is very well respected as an ABC alternative. The other would be Stag Arms.
    Too many choices. . . . that can be a problem with any of the military type weapons. M1s, M14, AR, AK, SKS have a lot of variables including MFG. AR's have many small name guys like CMMG so the list just goes on an on. AR's have got to more choices than any other rifle in terms of parts - essential & otherwise.

I love ARs in general.

Later,
    RDO

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Why not just build your own ? If your going to own one you have to be able to fix it which means you'll be tearing it down and putting it back.
    IMHOP a lower is a lower. Other than fit and finnish there is not any differance I can see. Even with calipers in my hands. I've looked close (measured) at most of the major makers. Could'nt find anything different.

Lower kits are all the same untill you get into NM triggers. But pins, springs etc are the same.

Then just pick an upper that you like and your good to go. You can get more bang for your buck building your own.
    I looked a long time befor I bought anything and this is what worked well for me. I'm on my third build

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    well im leaning towards the RRA after talking with a guy on my squad, who did a lenghty stint overseas and cant tell us where. I can pick up a decent RRA from them online minus the lower for about 640+s/h.( http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-d...mage=kcara407.gif&CFID=28365&CFTOKEN=11395205 ) Then I can hand pick my lower( http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-d...image=lwrrcvr.gif&CFID=28365&CFTOKEN=11395205 ) when a few more ED checks roll in and our State supp. goes up in Aug. Thanks for everyones help, gues spanky did a decent job wiht this site hahaha.

ill keep ya guys updated. LSP972 how long has it been since you worked at the range?

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    He still works out there, and once he figures out who you are he will spy on you, trust me ;) lol.

My rock river is the Entry Tactical model, with the optional lightweight profile chrome lined barrel. I highly, highly recommend the lightweight barrel if you go with a Rock River. I'm not sure how much total weight is saved, but the distribution of it is alot easier on your support hand.

Not that it matters much anymore since mine clocks in right at 10 lbs fully loaded now lol. I ordered it from ar15sales.com and used LA gun and reloading for the transfer. I almost exclusively use Rainierarms.com for accessories, and a few from brightflashlights.com

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    My build is centering around RRA uppers & lowers. I'll post pics as soon as the upper arrives @ Bullet & Blade and we get it assembled. :cool:

bigdaddyb

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    My build is centering around RRA uppers & lowers. I'll post pics as soon as the upper arrives @ Bullet & Blade and we get it assembled. :cool:

I just pinned together my first upper and lower. I now have a RRA National Match lower (LOVE THAT TRIGGER) pinned to a Bushmaster A3 16" upper. Got them both from fellas on ar15.com.

I also picked up an extra DPMS lower, just in case the libs start clawing at the BoR again!

Took the AR out shooting down in Catahoula Parish this last weekend. No regrets here!

brianb

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom