AR questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm new to the AR system, so please excuse the newbie questions. plus I'm still waiting for my lower to come in, so...

I'm thinking of changing the front sight to a gas block w/ a picatinny as well as eventually replacing the front handguard. Its got the old A frame front sight and plastic round handguards now.

I can take the pins out the A frame (gas tube and 2 lower) but then how do you remove the sight? Will it pass over the birdcage or do I need to remove that first?

I'm assuming once I do that the handguards will seperate leaving the barrel nut and gas tube. I want a freefloat tube on it. I like the YMH freefloat but I'm not committed. I don't really need 3 or 4 rails. I'd like a short one up front at the bottom for a light eventually, but that's all I really need. I'm doing this more for accuracy, so any freefloat will work.

I have a low power scope (kronus 1.5 - 5) mounted in low rings that I plan on mounting. Will the picatinny gas block and folding front sight be low enough to not see them? Or should I just buy a set of high rings and leave the A frame sight and round plastic handguards?

Comments, thoughts?

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Yes , you need to remove the birdcage first. Then the pins. Then tap it to the front. Use a soft hammer. Then the rest will come off.

Is this on your new 20" ?
    I'm a cheap bastid and am using a free float all metal hand gard I stripped off an air soft gun.LOL

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Yes, birdcage comes off. If it is the style that has a closed bottom, you will need a crush washer, also.

You will probably not see the front sight (it only sticks up above the rail a little bit. At most, some medium or high rise scope rings will take care of you.

You may consider a gas block/flip sight combo. That's what I have. Less stuff to come apart. They do tend to be $20 or $40 more than buying separate, though, so if that is a concern, nevermind.

I have a railed gas block I might could sell you. I even reamed out the gas port a little, to help negate any possibility of short-stroking.

I also have a thumb-screw mount non-flip front sight I could sell with it for cheap, if you wanted to go that route. You could leave it on if it turns out to not be in you FOV, or screw it on when you do not have the scope mounted.

If you leave the stock FSP mounted, the only way to be sure you can see over it without it in your scope's FOV is to mount your scope on top of a carry handle. (I also have a carry handle and handle/picatinny adapter I might sell.)

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    By the way, before you do this:

Separate or open your upper. Move the bolt carrier back and forth by hand to get a feel for how the gas key mates with the gas tube. There should be a little resistance, but not much.

After you install the new block (which will entail the gas tube coming out and going back in), do that again, and make sure it still slides into the gas key just as easily. If it has additional drag, try to see which way it is canted. Adjust accordingly. If you install it with an angle to it, the gas key (the part of the bolt carrier that sticks out of the front/top) will wear out the rim on the gas tube, and gas will begin to escape, possibly causing short-stroking (where the BCG does not go far enough back to chamber the next round). You would, of course, not want this to happen during a firefight.

Also, when it comes time to re-install the birdcage... (I might have a Vortex for sale soon- really really good flash hider)- put the NEW crush washer on, and hand tighten. Then, turn ONLY as far as necessary to clock the flash hider. Do not give it an extra turn or anything like that. It will be a little hard to turn- you are crushing the washer, and it will act like a lock washer once you are done, as well as providing the exact spacing to have your hider clocked correctly.

I will help further if I can. If you get in a bind, you can even call me. 877-LA CARRY. :D

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    LACarry, Yes, it has the closed bottom. Thanks for the tip on the crush washer!
    I decided I'm only taking it apart once! I'll wait until I get the handguards I want to fool with the sight base, since I have to take it off anyway. Price isn't that much of an issue (not that I'm a millionaire or anything!). I want to do it right the first time though. Simple is better, so the all in one is a good idea. I didn't know they made it that way. I did come across a set of handguards that let you keep your old fsb/gas block though. I need to think about this more. Thanks for the advice, I may call you after the lower comes in and I have a chance to play with it...
    Rockmup, this is on the new 20". Airsoft? hmmm... no, I'm looking for light weight on this one. (I wonder if I can get a scrap of aluminum tubing the right size?)

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    LaCamper,
    I have like new (round, free float) aluminum handguard for $20 if you want it.
    It is for a full size.
    I could cut it down on lathe if you need a carbine length.
    DM

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Rockmup, this is on the new 20". Airsoft? hmmm... no, I'm looking for light weight on this one. (I wonder if I can get a scrap of aluminum tubing the right size?)

yes, you can buy aluminum tube.
    the air soft stuff is aluminum too and you can buy the whole gun for 50.00 bux lol

dmiculek.......got a pic of the tube ?or whose is it. interested if LACamper passes

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    By the way, before you do this:

Separate or open your upper. Move the bolt carrier back and forth by hand to get a feel for how the gas key mates with the gas tube. There should be a little resistance, but not much.

After you install the new block (which will entail the gas tube coming out and going back in), do that again, and make sure it still slides into the gas key just as easily. If it has additional drag, try to see which way it is canted. Adjust accordingly. If you install it with an angle to it, the gas key (the part of the bolt carrier that sticks out of the front/top) will wear out the rim on the gas tube, and gas will begin to escape, possibly causing short-stroking (where the BCG does not go far enough back to chamber the next round). You would, of course, not want this to happen during a firefight.

Also, when it comes time to re-install the birdcage... (I might have a Vortex for sale soon- really really good flash hider)- I might be interested in this as well as the front block if LC passes

put the NEW crush washer on, and hand tighten. Then, turn ONLY as far as necessary to clock the flash hider. Do not give it an extra turn or anything like that. It will be a little hard to turn- you are crushing the washer, and it will act like a lock washer once you are done, as well as providing the exact spacing to have your hider clocked correctly.

I will help further if I can. If you get in a bind, you can even call me. 877-LA CARRY. :D

We need a wanted section !!!

Edit; I also need an A2 stock with with spring,buffer tube.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    LACamper,
    Before you remove / cut anything ! !
    If you want to throw that upper on a lower & shoot it as is let me know. Maybe even get you an A2 fixed stock lower to try also. I have the mags & you get whatever ammo you want.
    Later,
    RDO

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Yeah, I was going to try it as is, just to have a basis of comparison. The freefloat just makes sense though. There's no good reason to have anything touching the barrel if there's an alternative.
    I'll wait until mine comes in though. I doubt I'll get a weekend free between now and then anyway!

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Yeah, I was going to try it as is, just to have a basis of comparison. The freefloat just makes sense though. There's no good reason to have anything touching the barrel if there's an alternative.
    I'll wait until mine comes in though. I doubt I'll get a weekend free between now and then anyway!

Free float is good for bipod attaechment.

We could hit Bayou Dragon at night Wed-Friday 12-8 Which I need to do. It has been a while. My weekends have been consumed lately.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've got a handicapped daughter (plus a new puppy we're trying to train!) which leaves me little to no free time during the week. I'm out of town this weekend coming up. I'd love to get together and do some shooting but I don't know when...

Top Bottom