AR15 Build Opinions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Yes... It is another one of those threads. While I have done my fair share of research on other sites, I wanted to get opinions from BayouShooter guys/gals.

I am doing my first AR 15 build. I wanted to keep it basic and on a budget. Iron sights and no electronics. Here is what I have in mind.

I am starting with a "blemished" Anderson Manufacturing stripped lower. $40 (thanks to SulzerFirearms)

I was initially thinking PSA upper and lower parts kit ($499 free S&H), but I am thinking of keeping it all AM since I can get all the same parts from Anderson Manufacturing ($575 with shipping and handling) for about $75-100 more than what I would pay for PSA stuff.

Anything I need to know about Anderson Manufacturing? Am I missing anything about their products or quality control?

Any other quality AR part kits manufacturers that you would suggest and still keep it in the $600 price range?

Input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I'm looking into AR 15 build currently. That is a good deal on a quality AR10, though. Post a link in the "Hot Deals" section to share!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The one thing I've seen with Anderson lowers time and again is walking fire control group pins. So far to date, everyone I know who has used one for a build has had one or both pins walk out, sometimes after only a few mags through the rifle. I would invest in some KNS pins for the trigger group if I was going to go with an Anderson lower.

Last edited:

Kcabear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Gueydan
    Just finishing up a build using Anderson upper and lower. Could've gone with a cheaper barrel to keep cost down but figured it was worth splurging on.
    Here's my breakdown with shipping included
    Lower receiver- $80 with ship and FFL transfer Fatboy Tactical
    Upper- $40 PSA
    Lower build kit-$80 PSA
    Upper kit- $20 primary arms
    BCG-$90 Primary Arms
    Barrel- $220 AR Performance
    MOE mid handguard-$30 Academy
    Flip sight-$40 PSA
    Charging handle-$20 Primary Arms
    Muzzle Brake-$85 Primary arms
    Go No-Go gauges-$40 Midway

Guess I need to order some KNS pins now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    https://www.facebook.com/TexasBlackRifleCo

Call and ask to speak with the owner. Tell him you are from Bayoushooter.com. I think he will have some advice.

You may be able to pick up some used parts. I would not get a used LPK or BCG. No real savings from what I have seen. Everything else is fair game, more so if you can assemble the upper parts.

Surf ARFCOM EE. I found some smoking deals there. But you have to know what's up as many deals get snapped up quickly.

I wouldn't worry about keeping it all Anderson, but that is me. I'd be looking for deals.

What is the intended use of said AR?

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    https://www.facebook.com/TexasBlackRifleCo

Call and ask to speak with the owner. Tell him you are from Bayoushooter.com. I think he will have some advice.

You may be able to pick up some used parts. I would not get a used LPK or BCG. No real savings from what I have seen. Everything else is fair game, more so if you can assemble the upper parts.

Surf ARFCOM EE. I found some smoking deals there. But you have to know what's up as many deals get snapped up quickly.

I wouldn't worry about keeping it all Anderson, but that is me. I'd be looking for deals.

What is the intended use of said AR?

I bet John would LOVE to hear from a BayouShooter member! Do you think he would give me a big ole discount? Or just offer me a plane ticket? :dogkeke:

It will be a range gun. My first build, so I'm not going all out on parts, but I want it to function properly. I have no experience with putting an upper together. I have gun smithing tools, but I'm not sure if I have everything necessary to piece together an upper. This is why I'm leaning towards buying an assembled upper/barrel combo.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Yeah, If you can save money not buying tools to build an upper that might be better if you can find what you want.

I bought everything besides the LPK & BCG used and saved. But I had to spend time and pass on 3 stocks until I got one that was not bidded up. I incurred risk also. So to some degree I was lucky.

I built a 20" NM style and that is a pleasure to shoot.

Top Bottom