Are "good" sunglasses worth it?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I'm going to the beach in a few weeks, and the only sunglasses I have are some that I found (they say oakley on them but I suspect they are knock-offs).

I've never paid good money for sunglasses, as I don't need prescription lenses or anything. I've usually don't wear sunglasses, and when I do they are borrowed or cheapo. It seems to me that sunglasses come in two types: $5 cheapo glasses and those that are over $100. I would like to get a decent pair of sunglasses and start wearing them, since I hear it is good for your eyes on these bright days. My question is, how much is it worth spending on sunglasses? Is it something I just bite the bullet on and buy a nice pair to have for a long time, or are the cheapo glasses functionally just as good? Is there a good "middle ground" that is really the best bet?

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    The better sunglasses have real glass lenses instead of plastic, are polarized, and are usually well-made. I have a pair of Serengeti's that I've had for a few years and they are still awesome. Had a pair of RayBan's that lasted many years until they were stolen. Yes, they're worth it! :D

skwurlking

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    Pineville, LA
    You can often go to www.oakleyvault.com and find some great deals on previous year model and discontinued sunglasses. I got a pair of polarized Oakley Tens for 80 bucks. They are undoubtedly the best pair of sunglasses I have ever owned. I use them for riding my motorcycle, shooting, etc. I also bought a pair of Under Armour shades a few years ago, and they're very nice as well. I got them at Academy for 109.99. I would stay away from Nike shades, they are nice for a while, but they scratch easily. Also, if your nose produces excess oil (as mine does) it will eventually ruin the little rubber fins that support the glasses on your nose.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    make sure they are UV protective. Polarized are the best. It's like this, if your eyes are behind lenses that are dark but not protective then they open themselves up to let more harmful UV rays in thereby damaging your eyes worse in the long run. You get what you pay for.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    In my experience, the more you pay for a pair of sunglasses, the sooner they will get lost or broken. Unless you are fishing, you don't really need super-top-notch polarization. Any $20-30 pair of polarized glasses will do just fine. And this is coming from a guy that is VERY sensitive to sunlight and UV.

Last edited:

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    I tell you, I love a nice pair of sunglasses and they are totally worth it but I'm horrible about losing them. Every single pair of really nice (expensive) sunglasses I have had have been lost, stolen or broken in short order. Every single pair of cheap sunglasses I have owned I have had forever. It's fate I tell you.

BRitchieLCK

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, La
    I currently have a pair of Oakley's and it like sunglasses with HD compared to my $10 work shades lol. I also had a pair of Ray Bans that I made the mistake of wearing to the beach and went out in the water and a big wave slapped me I the back of the head and bye bye Ray Bans. Now I only wear cheap shades to the beach.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I tell you, I love a nice pair of sunglasses and they are totally worth it but I'm horrible about losing them. Every single pair of really nice (expensive) sunglasses I have had have been lost, stolen or broken in short order. Every single pair of cheap sunglasses I have owned I have had forever. It's fate I tell you.

Yep, my point exactly. I like to call it Nathan's Law. Its kinda like Murphy's Law, only it only applies to sunglasses, watches and other "accessories".

Mr.Squatch

Subsea Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    River Ranch
    I won't buy expensive sunglasses anymore. I buy cheapos to keep the sun out of my eyes. I sit on them or scratch them or lose them the same at any price. I'd rather buy 4 pr per year than lose one good pair. Everyone I know swears it's worth it to buy good ones. At the range last weekend it was windy as hell. blew two pairs of glasses and a rifle off the bench onto the concrete, all with damage. I was the only person laughing because mine cost $13 at walmart. To each his own I suppose. I've had a couple pairs of Jokeleys that were pretty close to believable, lost em both. lol

g

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Yep, my point exactly. I like to call it Nathan's Law. Its kinda like Murphy's Law, only it only applies to sunglasses, watches and other "accessories".

This is one thing I'm afraid of. My fiancee got me a nice watch for my birthday. The other day I dropped it from only about 18" up and the hands came loose and it quit running. No scratches, but they say it will be $32 to get it fixed, and I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I've found good sunglasses are often lost or stolen so I quit buying them. The cheap ones give me a headache though so I just don't wear them anymore.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    I bought a pair of American Optical aviation sunglasses in 2003 for 40 bucks at a army/navy store .I have had them all this time without breaking or loosing them . First time I ever paid that much for sunglasses but being the miser I am, I take good care . Yes they are real glass.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    i have bought nine pairs of custom Oakleys in two years.. i've spent over $2400 on sunglasses... i have one really expensive pair that i use for going in the shipyards, and the rest are for fashion... just like my watch collection, it's growing

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    For me, good quality sunglasses are the only way to go. I have some that I have owned over 20 years. Ray Bans, Oakley, Gargoyle, worth every penny. I found that having a cord to hang them from when going inside keeps me from losing them.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I found the safety glasses that I like and ordered a case of them. Came out to under $4 a pair. I have tried the expensive ones and cant tell the difference except that they get lost or broken a lot sooner!

TheLawson

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    New Orleans
    Yes, 'expensive' sunglasses are worth it. I convinced myself to buy a pair of Oakley flak jackets a few years back and still wear them - I've replaced the lenses and rubber bits a few times (once a year for the rubber bits, every other or so for the lenses). My girl friend would only wear cheap-o sun glasses because she "didn't see the point in paying $100 for shades." For valentines day I bought her a pair of polarized Oakleys (around $90), she has since swore off cheap-os and has bought herself another pair that's "more fashionable" in the same ballpark price range. My FJs have been from New Orleans to Alaska on a motorcycle, every shooting competition I've ever shot... well, come to think of it, if I'm outside, they are on - unless it's raining or night time. Plenty of times I've forgotten they were on and went looking for them (i'm saying they are comfortable).

I'm not trying to plug Oakleys or anything, pretty much any pair of "good" shades will be leaps and bounds better than $15 shades.

Top Bottom