Armed French Quarter Citizens Group - ETA: founder booked for stalking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    First of all, I think it's a 'meh' idea. Secondly, I wouldn't advertise it's existence. And thirdly, I sure as hell wouldn't have them put my name and interview me on camera.

They call themselves the French Quarter Minutemen and are made up of all volunteers who possess concealed handgun permits.

The founder told WDSU they are not vigilantes, but additional eyes and ears in an area of the city very sacred to them.

"We all share a common love for the French Quarter and we want its beautiful history to be preserved," said Aaron Jordan.

Jordan said what inspired him to form the group was the severe beating of jazz musician Doug Potter, who was attacked after a gig in the Quarter right outside the 8th District Police Station.

"That would lead me to believe more citizen involvement can only help," Jordan said.

He said they would obviously follow the law and not use force unless forced to.

Louisiana is an open-carry state, which means someone can openly carry a firearm in public.

Jordan said they wouldn't openly carry their weapons. As concealed carriers, their firearms would be hidden by clothing.

"We wouldn't want to cause unnecessary concern," said Jordan.

Opponents of the concept worry it could backfire and someone could get hurt if additional private citizens are carrying firearms in the Quarter.

"I'm not advocating that citizens carry weapons, I don't support that," said Attorney David Oestreicher.

Oestreicher, formerly part of the Civil Patrol said what he does support is a common interest in making the Quarter and New Orleans a safer place.

"If the volunteers could certainly have access to letting the regulars (police) know that something needs attention, I think it would make a huge difference. Too many people put their head in the sand," said Oestreicher.

Jordan said they would dress in plain clothes and likely walk in pairs looking for suspicious people and activity, then report it to police.

"With the way things are now, I don't understand how this could be a bad thing," said Jordan.

The New Orleans Police Department didn't have a comment about the group's formation.

In 2007, shortly after Hurricane Katrina, a similar group, the Guardian Angels, patrolled the streets of New Orleans.

French Quarter Minutemen will hold its first informational meeting soon. Anyone interested in learning more about the group and its intentions can visit their Facebook page, French Quarter Minutemen.

http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news/new-orleans/citizen-group-forms-to-keep-eye-on-french-quarter/26235748#!SlZjR

Thoughts?

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    im in the "meh" boat as well.

at least they are being proactive, but I don't think announcing existence via mass media was the best route to launch the ship with.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Sounds like a **** storm will come, but they live there and I understand they are just trying to help. But I'm sure we'll here the usual comments from people who never go downtown, or they only base their opinion of the French Quarter on Bourbon St. I've been downtown numerous times and have brought the family to numerous events without any incident.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Sounds like a neighborhood watch.

If I were involved in a neighborhood watch in New Orleans, I'd probably carry a firearm, too. :crazy:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Sounds like a **** storm will come, but they live there and I understand they are just trying to help. But I'm sure we'll here the usual comments from people who never go downtown, or they only base their opinion of the French Quarter on Bourbon St. I've been downtown numerous times and have brought the family to numerous events without any incident.

despite all the horror stories I've never had a problem there either, but that doesn't mean that they don't happen.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    despite all the horror stories I've never had a problem there either, but that doesn't mean that they don't happen.

I mean, in high school I used to work in the Quarter. I would get a valet guy to walk me to my car if they weren't busy, but I never had an issue really.

I just hate what it's become so I avoid it at all costs now. I still don't understand why people are drawn to Bourbon Street. The only time I really step foot on that street anymore is to go to Galatoire's once in a blue moon with the fam.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I work in the Quarter, and sometimes I'll take a stroll through it. There's always suspicious-looking characters about. This group won't be able to do much about those.

I think they'll get bored with the whole thing and forget about it.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    The busy streets in the quarter are usually fine. It's the drunks and the naive who wander down empty side streets that get themselves in trouble. NOPD seems to have a high index of suspicion for people walking alone in desolate areas, and I think they run patrols. Was walking 20 feet from where I parked to get a poboy from verti marte at ~3 am and got stopped and frisked against a wall by 6 NOPD that were driving together in 3 SUV's. Maybe I matched a suspect profile, let go without explanation after a couple minutes. They advised me to carry a better weapon than pepper spray if I was going to be alone where I was, kind of surprised me. Don't think the group will do much in the way of helping the area, but meh

Last edited:

swampjockey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Cut Off, LA
    The comments by Attorney Davis Oestreicher caught my attention. He was quoted as saying "If the volunteers could certainly have access to letting the regulars (police) know that something needs attention, I think it would make a huge difference." Just reminds me of the saying; When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant David.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The comments by Attorney Davis Oestreicher caught my attention. He was quoted as saying "If the volunteers could certainly have access to letting the regulars (police) know that something needs attention, I think it would make a huge difference." Just reminds me of the saying; When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant David.

I was struck by him calling the police "regulars" like they are British soldiers in colonial times. Or maybe that's a common thing I've never heard of before.

Top Bottom