Armed French Quarter Citizens Group - ETA: founder booked for stalking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    I think it would be a good idea, if they had any sort of formal training. I applaud their effort but have a feeling it will end badly.

What kind of formal training should they have to walk around their neighborhood and call the cops when they see things, all while legally being armed to protect themseleves?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    What kind of formal training should they have to walk around their neighborhood and call the cops when they see things, all while legally being armed to protect themseleves?

LE type training. Even if their plan is just to observe and notify police, they are still actively looking for trouble and putting themselves at risk. Eventually there will be encounters, and they should know how to handle them properly. There's a whole lot of middle ground between cell phone and gun.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    There was a group like this in the late 80's in NO east. The housewives would drive around with CB's and one would stay behind at a base station and call 911. They ran a story in the paper about them and the idiots gave their names and let them take pictures. Two months later the group disbanded after multiple vandalized cars and houses, including a very nice blazer that was torched into pieces and left in the driveway!

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    LE type training. Even if their plan is just to observe and notify police, they are still actively looking for trouble and putting themselves at risk. Eventually there will be encounters, and they should know how to handle them properly. There's a whole lot of middle ground between cell phone and gun.

Agreed, and being a member of this "Pseudo-Neighborhood Watch" shouldn't necessarily mean that one MUST have a CHP and gun. Regular citizens have cell phones and can just as easily place 911 calls for help. If this group wants to win the P.R. battle, I think they should invite ALL members of the community to join their group; not just the ones with guns. Then, they could have groups of two walking the Quarter; one armed and the other not. This would effectively double the number of citizen groups patrolling the streets and also double the density of patrols in the coverage area.

Unless this group plans on getting involved in very dicey situations, thereby increasing the chances that their lives would be placed in jeopardy, all members shouldn't necessarily need a CHP and a handgun to patrol the streets...

That being said, I have never been, nor shall I ever go to the French Quarter or Bourbon Street without my CHP and EDC.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts

And if they see someone doing something suspicious, should they follow the suspect at a distance in order to be a better witness when the cops show up?

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish

ISn't that what CHP training (required by the state) does?

- - - Updated - - -

Solution: More eyes? Yes! - More CC's? Yes! - Profile? YES!

YES!

I agree.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles

I guess my question is that at the end of the day, if they "find trouble", why would they act unlike any other lawful citizen who has had trouble find them?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I guess my question is that at the end of the day, if they "find trouble", why would they act unlike any other lawful citizen who has had trouble find them?

Because it's not the same. Simply put, there's two different types of people. People that have bad things happen to them during the course of their normal business, and people that go out actively looking for bad things happening, ie law enforcement. When group A people try to play the role of group B people, it rarely works out for them. Ever heard of George Zimmerman?

Law enforcement are trained and equipped to deal with confrontation. These people aren't. If something were to happen, and it probably will eventually, best case scenario they end up getting their life turned upside down Zimmerman style. Worst case they end up dead. I'm not against what they are doing but would love to see them do whatever they can to improve their odds of not getting in over their heads.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    In short: hell friggin' no.

FIFY

If you think 8 hours of the NRA's "this is the end that the bullets come out of" class and a 36 round "you pass if you don't shoot yourself in the face" test is enough to prepare someone to go out in known dangerous areas at known dangerous times and seek out bad people doing bad things, you're nuts.

Granted, some CHP instructors are better than others. But I don't know of a single credible one of them that would tell people they were ready to go fight crime after completing the mandatory training.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Armed citizens form group to keep eye on French Quarter

How are these people going to detain anyone? What else do they have with their handgun? Cuffs? Less-lethal? This doesn't sound like a good idea, and looks more and more like a disaster waiting to happen.

POST certified members of LE go though months at an academy, and then go through a FTO program. After all they, some people don't know how to do proactive police work. Now people with little to no training are going to go out and pretend to be the police?

Brilliant.

JR1572

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    POST certified members of LE go though months at an academy, and then go through a FTO program. After all they, some people don't know how to do proactive police work.
    JR1572

Plus an average of 40 hour inservice annually to go over law changes/policy revisions, defensive and less lethal tactics, shooting, quarterly firearm training, plus weeks and weeks of other optional classes to assist with dealing with different types of subjects.

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    How are these people going to detain anyone? What else do they have with their handgun? Cuffs? Less-lethal? This doesn't sound like a good idea, and looks more and more like a disaster waiting to happen.

POST certified members of LE go though months at an academy, and then go through a FTO program. After all they, some people don't know how to do proactive police work. Now people with little to no training are going to go out and pretend to be the police?

Brilliant.

JR1572

It sound more like they are going to be walking the French Quarter already on the phone with a 911 operator waiting to give a location of a suspicious person that could be of danger as determined by they untrained and twitchy eye. But rest assure if NOPD doesn't arrive quick enough or the activity encroaches them, they have their CHP and are carrying.

This sounds like it will tax an already burden call center for New Orleans.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Many of the people who own businesses and residences in the Quarter are putting in cameras - LOTS of cameras. There are few street crimes that aren't caught on camera now (or at least the perps running away from the scene); and often, when the media play the clips on television, the thugs turn themselves in. The problem then is that the judicial system lets them back out and the DA's office rarely takes a case to court unless they think it's a slam dunk sure thing.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    If all they're going to do is ...walk in pairs looking for suspicious people and activity, then report it to police, then it sounds like something that the French Quarter residents and business owners should already be doing if they are concerned about their community. Why should there be a need for an outside group to come in and do this? Just my 2 cents.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Announcing to the media labels it as 15 minutes of fame to me. Shut up and just do it, keep it quiet and you may just make a differance. Once their names and faces are known their will be issues they really wont be prepared to deal with.

Top Bottom