Army Needs a New Pistol...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    If they would switch to modern hollow-point ammunition they would get their desired jump in lethality.

Seems like slower moving handgun hollow points would be more effective than fast moving rifle rounds when the targets are so skinny and emaciated that there's no time to tumble.

Other than that, the article makes it sound like they're asking for a change in the laws of physics.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    If they would switch to modern hollow-point ammunition they would get their desired jump in lethality.

Seems like slower moving handgun hollow points would be more effective than fast moving rifle rounds when the targets are so skinny and emaciated that there's no time to tumble.

Other than that, the article makes it sound like they're asking for a change in the laws of physics.

I wonder if we will ever see a day when the military no longer has to abide by the FMJ-only rules for small arms? It just seems kind of pointless when considering most of the enemies our guys face today couldn't care less about the "Geneva Convention".....:rolleyes:

Just a thought. :dunno:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If they are limited to NATO-approved ball ammo, 9mm does kinda suck. But so does every other ball round. Sure, 45ACP might be a tad better in that regard, but I doubt anyone wants to go into combat with a bigger gun with lower ammo capacity.

As long as they are restricted to FMJ, any caliber is gonna suck. Upgrading to the Glock 17 would still be a big step in the right direction.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    wallpaper_20091224012014_7109442502.jpg

Just sayin' ;)

brand0n5o4

OFFICER PLZ
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Metairie
    PX4 Storm or Glock 17..

storm because of the huge reduction in recoil because of the rotating barrel, plus being able to hold 17 rounds.
    glock... because glock

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    In my research when I wanted to buy one, I found nothing good about the reliability of the PX4.

It'd be great if Glock got the contract and put "'Merica" on the slide. I'd buy one.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Well I personally hope glock doesn't get the nod, then they would have to be equipped with a manual safety... Which would cause me to not look at Glocks the same way.

What they need is better bullet design if they choose to stick to the fmj rule. Maybe a softer lead with a semi jacketed round nose.

Can't change physics!

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    That bullet design already exsist and is in heavy use. Winchester makes it it's called EFMJ. It's an expanding 147gr 9mm FMJ. The selected pistol won't necessarily have a manual safety and it's unlikely it will be a caliber other than 9mm.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    PX4 Storm or Glock 17..

storm because of the huge reduction in recoil because of the rotating barrel, plus being able to hold 17 rounds.
    glock... because glock

The PX4 isn't reliable or robust enough to be the choice and the "reduction in recoil" is completely subjective.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Yeah good point.

To some extent they already don't abide since they use a lot of OTM rounds.

OTM bullets aren't hollow points. The cavity is too shallow to enhance expansion. The US Army has asked for JAG Review everytime it has fielded a new bullet. The USMC and Navy use The Army as the Proponent Body for ammo buying and fielding.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I wonder if we will ever see a day when the military no longer has to abide by the FMJ-only rules for small arms? It just seems kind of pointless when considering most of the enemies our guys face today couldn't care less about the "Geneva Convention".....:rolleyes:

Just a thought. :dunno:

The Geneva Concention makes no mention of small arms ammo. The Hague Convention to which the US is not a signatory is the basis for the restriction to FMJ Ammo. The truth of the matter is at this point it has everything to do with supply chain and logistics rather that Treaties.

daxjosh77

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Baton rouge
    Fiveseven with ss190 armor piercing bullets (2200 FPS roughly) would be their best option. Super light, holds twenty rounds and virtually no recoil and crazy accurate. May not be as big as a .45 but with so many benefits it doesn't matter

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Fiveseven with ss190 armor piercing bullets (2200 FPS roughly) would be their best option. Super light, holds twenty rounds and virtually no recoil and crazy accurate. May not be as big as a .45 but with so many benefits it doesn't matter

Except it's underperformed in every single Ballistic Test no conducted my FN. It's a derp fantasy gun but from pistol length barrels 5.7mm is trash. Even from rifle length barrels the hype doesn't match the reality.

daxjosh77

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Baton rouge
    Except it's underperformed in every single Ballistic Test no conducted my FN. It's a derp fantasy gun but from pistol length barrels 5.7mm is trash. Even from rifle length barrels the hype doesn't match the reality.

Post a link to this so called ballistic test, and im not talking about the ss197 or ss195 round. If its such a fantasy round then why did the secret service adopt it?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom