Article 894- how does it work?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I have found that usually the little speed trap towns just want the money and if you ask them, they will not turn it in. Even had a cop in a small town that gave me a ticket, tell me to write "please do not turn in to insurance" on the ticket when I mailed it in. Worked for me. If it is a TOWN ticket, not sheriff, call the mayor. They will usually handle it for you.
    I do have several and they never showed up on my insurance. Also, pay promptly!
    Just my opinion, but has worked for me.

Best advice yet. This has worked for me in the past too.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    C'mon man! Did that really need to be said? At least I'm owning up to it and not criticizing the local PD for picking on me :dogkeke: I know some people were waiting for that!

I was picking. Chillax! Haha! Everyone speeds. I think speed limits are a silly outdated concept in many areas.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Alright, I'm about to write this letter but who do I address it to? Would it be a judge, the DA, or just whom it may concern?
    (I should clarify- I meant who should I put in the header of the letter. I was told to send it in with the summons.)

I can't remember who I addressed the letter to, I asked the lady I talked to on the phone, she told me, I put it there, forgotten. Perhaps call again, I'm sure they will be happy to tell you.

For peace of mind, I also made copies of everything I sent, that way I could call and keep tabs on this. If I remember correctly, it went past my court date as all this was processed (not because of procrastination on my part) and it freaked me out a bit, as I am one of those no-fun types who always pay on time or early. I couldn't help a bad feeling that I was going to get a letter in the mail about a warrant or something, but was reassured by the people in the traffic division that all was well, not to worry, and that I was a square.

If you want to write 1-1.5 page letter that would be great. Mine went like this
    On xx/xx I received a traffic ticket driving through you parish, and I would like to keep this off my driving record. Here is a check for the fee, please review my driving record and see if this would be possible. Than you" or something thereabouts and it worked fine.

If I can help at all, feel free to PM me.

waltherliketheg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Its a probation, depending on the court is how long it remains in affect. In the misdemeanor offense (criminal or traffic) you plead guilty under article 894. In the pretrial the district attorney/judge can allow for no fines or a fine with probation lasting from 30 days to a year and no further similar offenses the offense being expunged from record

the.girl32

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    St Tammany
    Article 894 is deferred sentencing for misdemeanors (Article 893 is for felonies). This means you are convicted of said crime, but not yet sentenced. Rather, you are placed on probation and if you successfully complete this probation, you are able to have the conviction removed (and it will stay gone as long as you do not re-offend). But these are reserved for criminal acts under RS 14 or RS 40, not traffic violations.

I would contact the municipal court of the "little speed trap town." I think what the officer was referring to is what many little towns do, which is offer to reduce your speeding ticket to something that is not a moving violation in return for your prompt, cash payment of the fine and fees. If it's not a moving violation, it's not reported to your insurance company. Good luck.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom