Ask Advantage Group

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008
    Welcome to the Church of the Tactical Truth. Feel free to ask any questions about tactical guns, gear, blades, tactics or training here. Our gang will answer them.

eradicater

Mar 16, 2012
    Alexandria
    Heres a quick one for ya. I recently purchased some Magpul flipup rear and front sites that i found a good deal on. Then realized they are the practice/airsoft variety. Any real drawback to them? I cant tell any difference between my buddies real ones and the airsoft ones.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008
    They are unlikely to hold up as well. I doubt they are made of the same material. In general I am not a fan of the Magpul Stuff. I think most of it is over-hyped and under-performing. I will be interested to see how long they hold up. Good luck with the expirement. Let us know when they break starting time......now

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008
    Because I long ago accepted that I was born only being good at eating and pooping. And that if I wanted to learn anything else and be good at it I would have to work at it. My craft is shooting, stabbing, smashing, and exploding. I want to learn them and develop them so I train. I have been in gunfights and fistfights and I have seen what happens to the untrained. Here is a hint you don't suddenly become better. I don't want to be one of those guys. I train because the world we live in is only getting more dangerous and more violent. I need to be able to protect myself and my family. I may still lose an armed encounter, thats the nature of the beast, but I will lose because lifes hard and not because I left variables like skill level unmitigated.

762NATO

Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Because I long ago accepted that I was born only being good at eating and pooping. And that if I wanted to learn anything else and be good at it I would have to work at it. My craft is shooting, stabbing, smashing, and exploding. I want to learn them and develop them so I train. I have been in gunfights and fistfights and I have seen what happens to the untrained. Here is a hint you don't suddenly become better. I don't want to be one of those guys. I train because the world we live in is only getting more dangerous and more violent. I need to be able to protect myself and my family. I may still lose an armed encounter, thats the nature of the beast, but I will lose because lifes hard and not because I left variables like skill level unmitigated.

Nice. Now, what's your favorite color? :p

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Paul Gomez has a good video about medical training being a necessary addition to anyone planning on defending themselves or loved ones with firearms. Due to the fact that no EMS will be allowed into a "place of violence" until it had been cleared and deemed safe, what do you feel is the minimum amount of medical training that everyone should have?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008
    I feel that every man woman and child over the age of 12 should be able at a minimum to:

Perform Hands Only CPR

Open an airway via chin lift and secure an airway with NPA.

Control Bleeding

Treat for Shock

Intervene in a choking

Make a clear concise and competent call for help

Jack

Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    For someone with zero firearms training outside the realm of target shooting/hunting, where do you think a good place to start would be?

jmcrawf1

Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    For someone with zero firearms training outside the realm of target shooting/hunting, where do you think a good place to start would be?

Obviously i'm going to Pimp the brand and say the Advantage Group Gunfighter 1 course. The course is designed to take the beginner through the fundamentals of marksmanship and apply them to scenarios a person would face in a gunfight. The course is a perfect next step to a concealed carry course but doesn't necessarily require it as a prerequisite. It's my personal opinion that a person who is completely new to firearms benefits greatly from training right off the bat because they haven't had time to develop bad habits that need to be corrected. There is no secret to shooting and gunfighting. You merely learn the fundamentals, and apply them in stressful situations.

Most every shooting school has a progression that they go through starting with an intro level class. I say jump right in and enjoy the ride.

Until then, youtube is a great resource for training ideas. VTAC, Todd Green, etc all post videos of them doing drill and lecturing on topics that you can take with you to the range.

This guy's channel has helped me a lot along the way. http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdsurf?feature=results_main

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008

I recommend you just jump in the water. Find a 1-Day Course and have at it. I'm obviously bias and I like the !-Day I put on but I also hear great things about the VATA Course. After geting an entry level course the sky is the limit. Personally I like to take 1 Entry Level Course every couple years just to remind myself there is no such thing as advanced skills. It's thge same skills the only thing that changes is the stress level.

Jack

Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Obviously i'm going to Pimp the brand and say the Advantage Group Gunfighter 1 course. The course is designed to take the beginner through the fundamentals of marksmanship and apply them to scenarios a person would face in a gunfight. The course is a perfect next step to a concealed carry course but doesn't necessarily require it as a prerequisite. It's my personal opinion that a person who is completely new to firearms benefits greatly from training right off the bat because they haven't had time to develop bad habits that need to be corrected. There is no secret to shooting and gunfighting. You merely learn the fundamentals, and apply them in stressful situations.

Most every shooting school has a progression that they go through starting with an intro level class. I say jump right in and enjoy the ride.

Until then, youtube is a great resource for training ideas. VTAC, Todd Green, etc all post videos of them doing drill and lecturing on topics that you can take with you to the range.

This guy's channel has helped me a lot along the way. http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdsurf?feature=results_main

Cool, thanks a lot. I was under the impression that their classes were for people who already had a skillset beyond where I'm at. Good to know

Jack

Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I recommend you just jump in the water. Find a 1-Day Course and have at it. I'm obviously bias and I like the !-Day I put on but I also hear great things about the VATA Course. After geting an entry level course the sky is the limit. Personally I like to take 1 Entry Level Course every couple years just to remind myself there is no such thing as advanced skills. It's thge same skills the only thing that changes is the stress level.
    Thanks man, once I get some cash I'll make it out there for one. Being a 23 year old home owner means that probably wont be for some time, but eventually I'll get out there.

jmcrawf1

Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Cool, thanks a lot. I was under the impression that their classes were for people who already had a skillset beyond where I'm at. Good to know

Not at all. Everybody has to start somewhere and if you start under the watchful eye of a good instructor, your learning curve is greatly diminished. You'll see results much quicker which in turn will give you greater confidence.

You're in a great position being in New Orleans, to sample the AG classes and VATA classes.

Captain_Morgan

Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks man, once I get some cash I'll make it out there for one. Being a 23 year old home owner means that probably wont be for some time, but eventually I'll get out there.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I'm still inexperienced, but I'm trying to jump into as much training as funds allow.

I'll definitely take advantage of the Advantage Group's classes in the future.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008
    Why do some feel the need to hang fifty pounds of everything but the kitchen sink onto an AR?

It's all about need. At various times I have carried heavy rifles loaded down with tools. They were all required for task I was performing. I don't hang anything on my guns I don't need. Currently my rifles have a sling, a white light, optics, and a VFG. I don't NEED anything else.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom