Ask Advantage Group

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

SpeedRacer

Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Hold up you told me yourself to train as I fight. And now ya want me to train with a borrowed rifle? Try to see where I'm coming from.

You absolutely should. If you really intend to stick with irons, I don't see why that would prevent you from coming to a class. What do you think would be different about an "iron sights class"?

Dave328

Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    My very first Carbine classes were the VATA Intro and Level I last Nov. I only had irons so that's what I used. I was the only guy in class without an optic of any kind. Didn't hold me back at all. Don't let that be the reason to not take a training class!

bigtattoo79

Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    You absolutely should. If you really intend to stick with irons, I don't see why that would prevent you from coming to a class. What do you think would be different about an "iron sights class"?

Curt I've asked a few people about taking a carbine class with irons in the past and was told it wasn't a good idea. I sent a pm to someone about taking the last carbine class without an optic "because I found a killer deal on a AR and ammo" but got no reply so figured it was a bad idea.

I'm sorry I'm a rifle dumb a$$ but I am. I wanna learn and have money saved for classes guns ammo but just don't know where to start.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008
    In every Carbine Class we have ever done we have had people
    Shooting Irons. Nothing changes. Same skills apply you just have to work a little harder. You will perform fine in our class with Irons. If you PM'd me and got no reply it's probably my fault. I hate the PM Function. Please, and I address this to everyone, if you have questions for me either call or
    Text: 985-791-1126 or email: Nathan.stokes@unitytactical.com. Shooting Irons in class WILL NOT hold you back at all. By lunch you will want an optic though.

bigtattoo79

Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    In every Carbine Class we have ever done we have had people
    Shooting Irons. Nothing changes. Same skills apply you just have to work a little harder. You will perform fine in our class with Irons. If you PM'd me and got no reply it's probably my fault. I hate the PM Function. Please, and I address this to everyone, if you have questions for me either call or
    Text: 985-791-1126 or email: Nathan.stokes@unitytactical.com. Shooting Irons in class WILL NOT hold you back at all. By lunch you will want an optic though.

I had your number but my phone crashed. I really don't rember who I PMd and that's not the point. Just like you and Curt say by lunch I'm gonna want an optic. I would like to find a class that doesn't make me want an optic by lunch or the end of the day but instead teaches me the fundamentals of iron sights then I would like to get an optic and learn that.
    I have always thought irons would be the beginning of rifle shooting but I admit I don't know much about the subject so if y'all think I should skip becoming proficient with irons and move to optics I will start shopping for an optic.

SpeedRacer

Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I had your number but my phone crashed. I really don't rember who I PMd and that's not the point. Just like you and Curt say by lunch I'm gonna want an optic. I would like to find a class that doesn't make me want an optic by lunch or the end of the day but instead teaches me the fundamentals of iron sights then I would like to get an optic and learn that.
    I have always thought irons would be the beginning of rifle shooting but I admit I don't know much about the subject so if y'all think I should skip becoming proficient with irons and move to optics I will start shopping for an optic.

The fundamentals don't change with different sighting systems. Just start a class with irons, and then have the opportunity to try several different optics if you choose to do so. It really can't get more ideal than that.

king4456

Dec 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    I think most people should start with a dirt bike then move to street riding for motorcycles. Most don't master off road before riding out onto pavement with 18 wheelers. I also fell into that category. I don't think an optic is going to hinder your rifle learning curve.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008

Aiming is Aiming. It's super imposing a fixed point on a target. Fundamentally it's the same Irons or Optics. Whether thing change is when you start moving your head around. Optics don't require cheek weld and are MUCH more forgiving of head position. They are also generally faster because of the way the eye works. Learning to shoot on irons is in no way a pre-req to learning to shoot a dot. Learning to shoot is learning to shoot. You don't get anything magical from learning on irons first. To take it a step farther rifle optics have come to the point where iron sights on Tactical or Defensive Rifles are obsolete for any purpose other than as a Secondary Sighting System.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008
    For me it's a Vtac Sling, a FF Tube like the Troy Alpha, a short VFG, a handstop on SBRs, a white light like a SF Mini Scout or Fury, back up Irons, and a SOPMOD Stock. I'm really hard on my stuff so I am willing to swap robust for light in some cases. I am a fan of the Eo Tech Optics but lately embarrassing variables because of aging eyes. I don't care much about aftermarket switches or charging handles.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008
    I think I replied in the wrong thread. I'm sorry I arrested white people tonight and that **** will make you reatrded.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom