ATM Took my Cash and Sent me Packing!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    Man, you can't make this stuff up. They should make a reality TV show about my life.

This morning at 4:30am I tried to save my wife a trip to the bank with my 14 month old by depositing some cash into my bank account (capitol one). It is one of those new fancy ATMs that counts the cash for you.

Well, it counted my cash, then got stuck for 5 minutes on the "Processing your Transaction" screen. Ultimately, the machine bombed out and went to the "ATM is not available at this time, sorry for any inconvenience" screen. Didn't give me a receipt or anything. Just crapped out with my money still in it. Immediately called the 800 number on the ATM, and they had no record of the transaction on my account.

Even though the camera presumably caught the whole thing, and I was the last to use the ATM before it crashed, and there is an extra $xxx.xx dollars in the machine, it could take 45-90 days for them to "Investigate" the incident and reimburse me. Hopefully it wont take that long, but man, sometimes it just doesn't pay to get out of bed!!!

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Man, you can't make this stuff up. They should make a reality TV show about my life.

This morning at 4:30am I tried to save my wife a trip to the bank with my 14 month old by depositing some cash into my bank account (capitol one). It is one of those new fancy ATMs that counts the cash for you.

Well, it counted my cash, then got stuck for 5 minutes on the "Processing your Transaction" screen. Ultimately, the machine bombed out and went to the "ATM is not available at this time, sorry for any inconvenience" screen. Didn't give me a receipt or anything. Just crapped out with my money still in it. Immediately called the 800 number on the ATM, and they had no record of the transaction on my account.

Even though the camera presumably caught the whole thing, and I was the last to use the ATM before it crashed, and there is an extra $xxx.xx dollars in the machine, it could take 45-90 days for them to "Investigate" the incident and reimburse me. Hopefully it wont take that long, but man, sometimes it just doesn't pay to get out of bed!!!

That's your problem right there, crapital one.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I use Cash, Credit Card or Check.
    No ATM Card, no Debit Card and no Automatic deductions from my account.

Takuan

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    NOLA
    [not serious]Banks will do anything to take your money away... support OWS![/not serious] Really, I hope you get this resolved quickly.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Thats why I only make deposits in person when the bank is open, and preferably inside at the tellers not in drive-thru. I don't trust the drop boxes and I dang sure don't trust a machine to count my money.

Jimmy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Credit unions are the way to go. They fix almost any problem within that business day. They are local and no calls to India. Plus they are almost all linked together so I can walk into Keesler credit union in Biloxi and do my E Federal transactions or Neighbors.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I had a ATM crap out on me once and it debt my acount for the whole amount in the ATM. My checking acount showed overdrawn 13000 dollars for a week. Talk about making me sweat. They did finally fix it but when I called the number they did not want to admit that they had any mistake and actually had the nerve to say that maybe I had spent the money. I only use ATM as last resort after that.

Last edited:

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I used to work for a bank (IT Department), though it was a smaller Louisiana based bank. The ATM records EVERYTHING that happens in it. They will have a record of your access, and they will be able to determine if any cash in the ATM does not balance with transactions that processed properly. However, how fast they do all of this is totally up to Capital One...

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Credit unions are the way to go. They fix almost any problem within that business day. They are local and no calls to India. Plus they are almost all linked together so I can walk into Keesler credit union in Biloxi and do my E Federal transactions or Neighbors.

Had an ATM at a credit union that didn't dispense my money even though it said it did. Took almost a week of calls between them and my credit union, and one email from me to the head office to get it fixed.

Hope they get you taken care of quickly!

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    I use this service all of the time and have never had issues. I count all the money before I put it in and it deposits directly to my account. Greatest thing in banking in a while.

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    I do it through the drive-thru 99% of the time. Get lazy once and boom. Took it right up the tailpipe.

That is what I get for keeping a account with Capitol One though. I asked for it, and I got it. And the ATM crapping out wasn't what really got me annoyed. I work on computers for a living and I know they crash. What did it was having to make half a dozen calls and having to drive to the bank to sign a form to try and get my money back. I felt like once I called right after it happened, it should have been handled from there without me lifting another finger. Silly notion, I know. It is good in the end though. I needed a little shove to make me go close this account and move to a local bank/credit union.

Top Bottom