Banh Mi ? Who here likes them - Besides Noob and I?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Violent gastro reactions for 12 hours starting about 4 hours after ingestion. General malaise for 3 to 5 days. high exposure and I have trouble breating. I haven't ended up in the ER yet, but its been close. Benedryl helps a lot but not enough to take chances. And even onion powder in a dish can trigger a mild reaction. So much fun... but we all have our problems. I can live without vietnamese but damn it looks good. (and on the plus side I used to be allergic to dogs. At about age 20 i traded dogs for onions. I can deal...).

Holy Crap..... Just about EVERYTHING either has onion or onion powder in it, not just Vietnamese food. Guess you have to prepare your own meals and not eat out a lot.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Violent gastro reactions for 12 hours starting about 4 hours after ingestion. General malaise for 3 to 5 days. high exposure and I have trouble breating. I haven't ended up in the ER yet, but its been close. Benedryl helps a lot but not enough to take chances. And even onion powder in a dish can trigger a mild reaction. So much fun... but we all have our problems. I can live without vietnamese but damn it looks good. (and on the plus side I used to be allergic to dogs. At about age 20 i traded dogs for onions. I can deal...).

Sounds rough. Definitely something to avoid if possible.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    I do love banh mi but rising costs have forced many shops to cut ingredients to keep the price low. I'd pay more if they just use to make them like they did 10 years ago.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I do love banh mi but rising costs have forced many shops to cut ingredients to keep the price low. I'd pay more if they just use to make them like they did 10 years ago.

I remember paying sub 3 bucks for a banh mi, now they are close to 5 bucks!

Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    My favorite is banh mi from an old lady in Woodlawn or is it woodland as mentioned before. She has been selling out of her house for years and at the local Asian fairs every year. She uses dong Phuong banh mi as well. Her prices have gone up over the years but still cheap. $3 per banh mi.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    The bahn mi from pho Nola is pretty tasty as well. I don't buy pho from there though, there's a distinctly unpleasant aftertaste to their broth.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Just tried some banh mi from Dejepe bakery = off of Behrman hwy !! Highly recommend ... new place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished one from there. To go only. Good. Hotter than others and not the cheapest but good. $5.99 isn't a deal breaker. Probably a bigger downside is all the other things you end up seeing the becomes wants.

Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    banh-mi.jpg

$5.76 tax included

Pho orchid makes their own bread & the grilled pork is my favorite. Don't forget to add an egg in it! LE supporters too!

Last edited:

playboyoncrack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2015
    New Orleans
    Just finished one from there. To go only. Good. Hotter than others and not the cheapest but good. $5.99 isn't a deal breaker. Probably a bigger downside is all the other things you end up seeing the becomes wants.

Agreed $5.99 isn't a deal break but it's slightly bigger than typical banh mi. I didn't care to try other things there. Since I'm already spoiled with Dong Phuong being a few mins from where I live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iwhodat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    River Ridge, Louisiana
    Kim Ahn Noodle House in Harahan has a delicious Bahn Mi. Dong Phoung's, in the East, has the best in town with the biggest selection of sandwiches. It's worth the trip to NOLA East to get some of the best French Bread in New Orleans and a tasty Bahn Mi.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Kim Ahn Noodle House in Harahan has a delicious Bahn Mi. Dong Phoung's, in the East, has the best in town with the biggest selection of sandwiches. It's worth the trip to NOLA East to get some of the best French Bread in New Orleans and a tasty Bahn Mi.

I've been by Dong Phuong hundreds of times and never stopped. I did walk in one day but I was in a rush so I didn't stay but I remember that it had an unusual setup, or maybe I just walked in the wrong door.

iwhodat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    River Ridge, Louisiana
    You have to go into the first door. That's the Bakery area, where they sell bread, sandwiches, and desserts. The second door is the sit down restaurant. They also have the best pecan pies I've ever tasted.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Just saw on Instagram an advertisement for pandan tea house. It's in dickory not too far from shooters club. Guess I'll have to make a stop and try out their banh mi next time I'm around.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Just had the #5 Viet grilled pork sammich from Dong Phuong. Delicious and inexpensive, although one sammich probably won't last most people very long.

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    fc1625b225f06663a01c5f670fd0b747.jpg
    569a70fcbe2fcc3aa3cc8ad4712b797c.jpg

Hit Bahn Mi Boys for the first time today. Got a combo bahn mi and pork and shrimp spring rolls.
    Very tasty with the hogs head cheese.
    Little expensive, $13.17 without a drink. But it was a treat.

Top Bottom