BayouShooter Improvements and Changelog

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Maybe I am looking to hard, but where can I find the change log?
    First post of this thread. I will be making a new post soon.

Guys, back on to suggestions. As of now there is no fix that I know of for special characters in the URL bar besides banning them from thread titles...which is an option, but not at the moment. Just don't use them :) Also, as Jack mentioned, all you need is the ? and the six digit post number. The dash and everything after that can be removed.

We know some of y'all want replies in the classifieds. No need for everyone to suggest it.

Thanks guys!

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Make it easy enough that even technically challenged mature folks can figure out how to post dad gummed pictures. Or allow "no pic" classifieds. Or just ban old people and put us out of our misery.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Make it easy enough that even technically challenged mature folks can figure out how to post dad gummed pictures. Or allow "no pic" classifieds. Or just ban old people and put us out of our misery.

I had several tutorials with screenshots I had put together for it but can't find them because the search feature is sloppy.

The short method is as follows:

1) Go to any image hosting website (ie: http://imgur.com/, http://tinypic.com/index.php, http://imageshack.us/, heck even http://upload.bayoushooter.com/ still works)

2) Upload your image following the website's directions

3) Copy the UBB code that typically looks like this: [ img]http://www.website.com/image.jpg[ /img] and paste it into your thread and the image will directly be embedded into the post.

That's it... Very simple.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    How about New people can't post/comment on ANYTHING until they introduce themselves.

I remember I waited 2 months or so until I posted my intro and I felt like a douche. It'd be a requirement, and adds participation/background of your sellers if that's all they are on here to do.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    How about a requirement for non-generic thread titles, such as "look at this." This would also improve the search function for threads and keep me from wasting my time on something I'm not interested in.

A comment regarding the point system: what about expiration or relief of penalty points after a certain time frame. If its been a year since someone got a point, maybe they could be reset or relieved of a point for good behavior. ...I don't plan on getting any, but just a though that came to mind when I read the other thread.

~Xenon

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    How about a requirement for non-generic thread titles, such as "look at this." This would also improve the search function for threads and keep me from wasting my time on something I'm not interested in.

A comment regarding the point system: what about expiration or relief of penalty points after a certain time frame. If its been a year since someone got a point, maybe they could be reset or relieved of a point for good behavior. ...I don't plan on getting any, but just a though that came to mind when I read the other thread.

~Xenon
    I thought about adding the time-frame for them to expire, but it makes a bit more sense for this board for them to be manually removed. If they expire, they erase from the Infractions page from our end too. I don't plan on people getting enough for any of this to be a problem though. The main use of it will be for the mods to ban spammers and bot accounts until we implement some things to keep those at bay.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So.... did the Bearpit go away?
    Yes. We had no use for it anymore. We do not want to showcase poor quality ads. It makes the board look bad...and no one was selling things in the Bearpit. It was essentially an ad trashcan. If you have posts in it that you need to get out of it, I still have access to it.

Dixie_Amazon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In the top left of the page, there is a button labeled What's New, and right beneath it there is a smaller button labeled New Posts.
    As far as I can tell, these both do the same thing. Perhaps you could give one a different function.
    My best idea is that, when I hit What's New and nothing meets the criteria of "new" I get a link to search "last 24 hours".
    I think you should keep the What's New button as it is, filtered by the criteria "new" (I can't quite guess the parameters for that search)
    and make the New Posts button search by the "past 24 hours" filter.
    Another possibility is a "Hot Topics" or "Active Topics" button for posts with a lot of activity (over a page of posts maybe?). I think I have seen this feature on other vBulletin boards.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    This would only work for sections of the forum that are robo-crawled, but adding a google search integrated into the search page may either confuse or help users. /MOST/ forums' search features suck so I'm used to using google to search "site:bayoushooter.com/forums herp derp starbucks" for example.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Leave the pics mandatory in the marketplace. I hate the way other fourms don't mandate pictures and you have to email or text for pics. The majority of the time, it is junk anyways and that's why they don't post the pictures. Let me see the crap first so I know not to waste my time.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Get rid of off topic. Go to Facebook for that nonsense.

I realize that this bothers you; but since it is not seen by the general public, what difference does it make? It's like TV, and Radio; if you don't want to see it or hear it, don't tune in.

And, if a potential member (someone that may contribute and you may actually agree with one day), was lurking and noticed they couldn't see the discussion (whatever it is; they wouldn't know), maybe they would sign up?!? After all, when you are selling advertising to potential sponsors, telling them how many members you have is an important sales pitch. Yes?

Also, other than utter nonsense (and that is in the eye of the beholder); many, if not most of the off topic discussions are related to guns, their use, their misuse, their consequences, etc., etc...

Plus; I don't do Facebook, twitter, Nitwitter, Dumb Shitter, or any other "look at me, I'm a social misfit", websites.

I'll ask again; how many times do you want knowledgeable members to answer the question, "How long for CCP" in the concealed carry section? :D

:rofl: Just noticed; THIS IS IN THE OFF TOPIC SECTION!

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Quick tally of the first page of (non-stickied) threads reveals 20 threads.

Threads that would be more appropriately placed in other sections:
    Starbucks New Policy - carry/ccw
    LSU game day - sports
    Duracoating in Lafayette - gunsmithing?
    Danzinger Bridge Cops! - current events
    Black NRA - current events?
    Wow, what a game Saints - sports
    Tweking made illegal - current events (if it was real [it isn't])
    Save the Garand (C&R/rifle/current events)

Threads that are actually off-topic
    5 gal bucket of coins
    usps - what's in the box?
    cop bashing at it's worst funny vid
    thread about scam email 'won a car'
    sleepy hollow movie/tv talk
    NJ Detective with 2 hours to retirement "funny as hell"

So it appears to me that Off-Topic is only about guns because people don't put the threads in the right place. It's not actually off-topic. Getting rid of off-topic would not get rid of those discussions, I believe - it'd only make people put them in the appropriate place. The actually off-topic posts are the minority in thread-count, but the vast-majority in post-count (where else are there 75+ page threads?)

This admittedly small sample size seems to indicate, to me, that Off-Topic is a worthless pile. I take part in the tard-threads like "RAWR, I HATE MOOSE LIMBS" and "I HATE THE HOMOGAYS" because I like fukcing with intolerant bigots, but I would cry not one bit if those threads were forever banished, and only firearms-relevant discussions were entertained.

I, for one, would love to see all discussions of religion, race, and politics (that are unrelated to firearms) banished from the site.

One of the most successful forums I'm a part of, that has a role only in supporting a meatspace real-life organization, is that they forbid those topics entirely in the efforts of increasing the quality and civility of discussion, and to keep from alienating people.

I think we should take a stance more like the NRA. The majority of posters on here go on and on about DEMOCRAPS and LIBTARDS and demonize anyone who's not a card carrying Republican Obama hating anti-welfare neocon. To think how many actually-pro-gun people that alienates is disappointing. This should be a gun forum. This should not be anything else. The NRA provides "candidate recommendations" based upon a single-issue evaluation. They provide data on whether a candidate is progun, antigun, and their history, if any. They do not write op-eds about abortion, religion, sexuality, welfare, or any other divisive non-gun-related issues.

I'd be happy to see Bayoushooter's internet-public face move toward that. Let's make it about guns, shooting, carrying and relevant legislation/events, as well as a relevant classifieds section.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see the sports section go away, tbh, but I don't think it causes any /problems/. Plus, if that goes away, I'd have to admit the science/astronomy threads go away too, and I get a decent chunk of current news from Tom via those threads, and likewise, they don't cause a /problem/.

However, I think if we take away a lot of the **** that causes hostility, trolling, divisiveness, and conflict, we'd have a much better library and repository of information, reviews, firearms discussion, and it would overall increase the signal-to-noise ratio. Too many users get butthurt over the Off-Topic threads and carry that over to actually-firearm-relevant discussion when they reply to others.

For those that run the site, it's my experience that the userbase and return-visitors increases greatly when they aren't confronted with constant controversial topics and uber agro users belittling eachother. Pageviews goes up, member count goes up, traffic goes up, sponsors want to tap that, everyone wins.

Edit to Add:
    As Emporer often reminds us; it's a handful of users that repeatedly hash out these controversial topics, with the occasional new person jumping into the fray. Those/We users are already on the site anyways, so administration gains nothing by entertaining those threads. There is no profit to it, and there is certainly some measure of loss in quality, and likely quantity. Nothing to gain, something to lose - sounds like an easy decision to me.

Last edited:

alpharic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    What does it take to even get a reply to the 4-5 suggestion that one made yesterday. Its like they are ghost, and just passed up, when you said that all suggestion would be addressed or replied to/explained.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Quick tally of the first page of (non-stickied) threads reveals 20 threads.

Threads that would be more appropriately placed in other sections:
    Starbucks New Policy - carry/ccw
    LSU game day - sports
    Duracoating in Lafayette - gunsmithing?
    Danzinger Bridge Cops! - current events
    Black NRA - current events?
    Wow, what a game Saints - sports
    Tweking made illegal - current events (if it was real [it isn't])
    Save the Garand (C&R/rifle/current events)

Threads that are actually off-topic
    5 gal bucket of coins
    usps - what's in the box?
    cop bashing at it's worst funny vid
    thread about scam email 'won a car'
    sleepy hollow movie/tv talk
    NJ Detective with 2 hours to retirement "funny as hell"

So it appears to me that Off-Topic is only about guns because people don't put the threads in the right place. It's not actually off-topic. Getting rid of off-topic would not get rid of those discussions, I believe - it'd only make people put them in the appropriate place. The actually off-topic posts are the minority in thread-count, but the vast-majority in post-count (where else are there 75+ page threads?)

This admittedly small sample size seems to indicate, to me, that Off-Topic is a worthless pile. I take part in the tard-threads like "RAWR, I HATE MOOSE LIMBS" and "I HATE THE HOMOGAYS" because I like fukcing with intolerant bigots, but I would cry not one bit if those threads were forever banished, and only firearms-relevant discussions were entertained.

I, for one, would love to see all discussions of religion, race, and politics (that are unrelated to firearms) banished from the site.

One of the most successful forums I'm a part of, that has a role only in supporting a meatspace real-life organization, is that they forbid those topics entirely in the efforts of increasing the quality and civility of discussion, and to keep from alienating people.

I think we should take a stance more like the NRA. The majority of posters on here go on and on about DEMOCRAPS and LIBTARDS and demonize anyone who's not a card carrying Republican Obama hating anti-welfare neocon. To think how many actually-pro-gun people that alienates is disappointing. This should be a gun forum. This should not be anything else. The NRA provides "candidate recommendations" based upon a single-issue evaluation. They provide data on whether a candidate is progun, antigun, and their history, if any. They do not write op-eds about abortion, religion, sexuality, welfare, or any other divisive non-gun-related issues.

Edit to Add:
    As Emporer often reminds us; it's a handful of users that repeatedly hash out these controversial topics, with the occasional new person jumping into the fray. Those/We users are already on the site anyways, so administration gains nothing by entertaining those threads. There is no profit to it, and there is certainly some measure of loss in quality, and likely quantity. Nothing to gain, something to lose - sounds like an easy decision to me.

So, if the pretender uses Executive Privilege to dismantle parts of the 2nd Amendment, it's not because he is a phony liberal anti-gun ideological douche?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom