Beretta Px4 type C

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I didn't mean that kind of investment, I mean money is an issue for me so if I screwed up, I couldn't just go buy another one and try again. I'm investing in an important and expensive tool and I need it to be right the way it comes, no modifications required.
    And yes, I know these guys are experts, they are exactly the guys I wanted to hear from and believe me, I am listening.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    What don't you like about the rotating barrel concept? Aside from that, is the finish your only dislike?

There are documented issues of the rotating barrel locking the action up and it could only be opened by being beat on with a rubber mallet. I personally don't know of any person who has experienced this, but information is on the Internet regarding it. Check on pistol-forum.com, it's Todd Green's forum. He worked for Beretta when the PX4 came about. He doesn't have too many good things to say about the PX4.

The finish on mine isn't as bad as others I have seen, however it's still pretty bad.

There aren't many sight options either. I like all black sights instead of sights with large glowing dots.

JR1572

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I'm not asking these questions to be a smart-a$$ or to be argumentitive. I want more info, more details, more things to think about that I may have missed.
    I have been around here long enough to know that glock is always the answer given, but glocks just make me uncomfortable. "buy a glock and call it a day" is not enough of an answer for me. There is never one way that is so universally perfect that it rules out the possibility of other options.

I want to know if anyone has seen a Px4 fail, seen one not go bang when it needed to? I want an honest answer as to whether a Px4 run side by side with a glock, dragged through the same mud and sand and water and shot the same number of times, would fail any sooner than the glock would and how much sooner and in what way. I don't care if either is still pretty at the end, I just want to know if it will still go bang when called upon. I know some of you guys have been places and done things I never will and I believe some of you might have seen these used enough to answer these questions. That is why I ask.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    VG, if you say you have seen it, I can't argue against it. These are the things I wanted to hear. I'm still hungry for more details, though. Thank you for your offer and your answers. And thank you all for the knowledge you have shared.

Last edited:

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm not asking these questions to be a smart-a$$ or to be argumentitive. I want more info, more details, more things to think about that I may have missed.
    I have been around here long enough to know that glock is always the answer given, but glocks just make me uncomfortable. "buy a glock and call it a day" is not enough of an answer for me. There is never one way that is so universally perfect that it rules out the possibility of other options.

I want to know if anyone has seen a Px4 fail, seen one not go bang when it needed to? I want an honest answer as to whether a Px4 run side by side with a glock, dragged through the same mud and sand and water and shot the same number of times, would fail any sooner than the glock would and how much sooner and in what way. I don't care if either is still pretty at the end, I just want to know if it will still go bang when called upon. I know some of you guys have been places and done things I never will and I believe some of you might have seen these used enough to answer these questions. That is why I ask.

I've never owned one but I shot one and hated it. All I know is Glocks are proven. My 19 has never had so much as a FTF no matter how little I clean it or what crappy ammo I run through it. A few years and dozens of "pretty" and "good feeling" handguns later VG and JR finally have me convinced that my gun is nothing more than a tool and when I have to use it in a fight I won't be thinking to my self how great it looks. I want it to work reliably and consistently every time. I don't know for sure but I get the vibe this might be your only hand gun in which case the 19 is a great size for all around use and you'd be hard pressed to find a holster company that doesn't make something to fit it. But like you said there's more than that and it's your money so do what makes you happy. Just my 2 cents.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    im pretty partial to my m&p9c. But would agree with chad if this is your only handgun, a g19 is a great way to go and take up VG's offer to take those damn finger grooves off. VG you're a good man for that by the way I held a gen 2 and it made the gen 3 grip feel lack luster. Id go into what id like, and one of my favorite handguns, but i think far more qualified individuals have already spoken.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I used to hate gen 3 glock grips. Then I became a man and learned to hold onto a gun. Practice is key. I can shoot just about any handgun about as well as any other now that I have trigger time under my belt. A gun that feels good in your hand is a good thing, but it is not the only thing you need to consider. Glocks are cheap, made well, and everything for them is cheaper or more available. What else can you ask for in a tool?

I had a gen2 g19 for about 10yrs and shot it a fair bit. I still prefer the g17 grip ergos (fit my thick palm a bit better) but I shoot the 17 and the 19 just as well. The 19 just does everything better than anything else in its range. More capacity, lighter, and most of all, it is proven.

If the beretta px4 was even close to equal to a glock there would be alot more of them sold.

I would rather have a used glock that just about anything else in the same price range. Get some trigger time with a glock, maybe a class with a good instructor.

catman3516

Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Dec 28, 2011
    belle chasse
    Anyone have one? I'm only interested in the type C constant action.

the only thing about them is the compact type c models they dont have the rotating barrel assmbly so recoil is full on, other than that i see no probs with them jeff parish cops just switched to the full size and getting rid of glocks so i assume some cops<detectives,undercover,etc.> will carry the compact ones

Last edited:

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Anyone have one? I'm only interested in the type C constant action.

the only thing about them is the compact type c models they dont have the rotating barrel assmbly so recoil is full on, other than that i see no probs with them jeff parish cops just switched to the full size and getting rid of glocks so i assume some cops<detectives,undercover,etc.> will carry the compact ones

Type C does not mean compact and it certainly doesn't mean sub-compact(the one's without rotating barrels). I was asking about the full sized constant actions.

That being said, this thread is over. VG and JR have swayed me to avoid the Px4. I'm not saying that I'm going to run out and buy a Glock, but I won't be buying a Px4.

I need to get some range time with the options I have left on my list (Glock 19 with finger grooves removed and a ZEV Tech trigger and a Sig 229 DAK and a HK usp or p2000 with LEM) before I make up my mind. I still have a couple months before I'll have the money to spend, anyway, so I should have enough time to find and try them. If anyone around Lafayette or BR has one of those and would let me shoot them, please let me know.

Thanks, again, guys for having the patience to educate me. I owe ya one.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    If your a fairly novice shooter you should stay away fromagic triggers like the ZEV stuff. Avoid the DAK all together it is shameful. Buy a stock gun, learn to shoot, then adjust.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    If your a fairly novice shooter you should stay away fromagic triggers like the ZEV stuff. Avoid the DAK all together it is shameful. Buy a stock gun, learn to shoot, then adjust.

I was looking at the non-adjustable zev l.e. trigger. I would have to replace the stock trigger with something. You can call me a wuss if you like, but the face of the stock glock trigger chews the hell out of my finger. I haven't shot a glock in six or seven years, but that is the dislike that stands out clearest in my memory. I'm not really interested in switching out the inner workings, just the trigger itself. The zev l.e. seemed like it would accomplish that without changing the way the pistol functions, essentially. But, of course, that is just me guessing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom