Best AR for a Starter???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I bought an Anderson Arms stripped lower, and a PSA rifle kit. Put together this M-Forgery without any special tools, on a Saturday morning.

DSCN0613_zpseca9fc18.jpg

DSCN0615_zpsad0d4a7e.jpg

Off the bench it's about 1.5 MOA with Monarch Steel case 55 gr ammo. Slightly better with 62 gr Federal, but still not sub-moa.

About 400 rounds through it, and not a hiccup. I'm thinking of cleaning it after it's next range trip.

For less than $600 + mags and sights, I'm happy.

It's not a Colt, or a Sig, but it's mine.

LouisianaGunny

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I just picked up an Armalite for a customer for his first AR. Fitting it with a Nikon P-223, a light on top of the scope, and a Bushnell Red Dot on a 45 tilt. Even trade to remodel my bathroom. Wife is happy I didn't spend over a grand. Neighbor is happy he is getting a new toy. I'm just happy making everyone else happy.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I have an Armalite. I'm happier with it than any Colt I was issued. Having said that, it's an AR, and unless you're going for some custom build, it's going to be fairly standard for any of the entry level makers.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    There's no such thing as a "First AR"... you'd be better asking for an inexpensive AR. You're not buying a Hi-Point (Though there are some models....hmm.) as opposed to a Glock.

In my honest opinion, Colt is the original and probably a great start... the S&W M&P-15 MOA edition is another (Pre-outfitted with Magpul furniture)... however, when you get into the higher-end "name brands", the costs rise quite rapidly.

Here is the thing, once you purchase it... it's all over. Your AR will NOT remain in that condition for long. You will be infected by BRD or Black Rifle Disease. Modifications, add-ons, furniture, etc... the money will flow. You'll be looking at items in the LGS like a crack head looks at a bag of rock.

Too bad Cold Stone Creamery doesn't make an AR platform... because I would have pre-modded rifles with only three levels of purchase... Like it, Love it, and GOTTA HAVE IT!

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Everyone seems to focus on brands, and I would agree that Colt is generally of excellent quality, but there also others that would work just as well but at a lesser cost. I had a Colt, now have an Armalite, and have had several other brands in between. All work, but every time I've shot a hog with a .223 I've wished for a heavier bullet. My buddies speak highly of the 300 Blackout and that will be my next hog gun. (Amended: I'll build another upper in .300 Blackout, specifically for hogs and larger animals)

Last edited:

LouisianaGunny

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    Hammond, Louisiana
    There's no such thing as a "First AR"... you'd be better asking for an inexpensive AR. You're not buying a Hi-Point (Though there are some models....hmm.) as opposed to a Glock.

In my honest opinion, Colt is the original and probably a great start... the S&W M&P-15 MOA edition is another (Pre-outfitted with Magpul furniture)... however, when you get into the higher-end "name brands", the costs rise quite rapidly.

Here is the thing, once you purchase it... it's all over. Your AR will NOT remain in that condition for long. You will be infected by BRD or Black Rifle Disease. Modifications, add-ons, furniture, etc... the money will flow. You'll be looking at items in the LGS like a crack head looks at a bag of rock.

Too bad Cold Stone Creamery doesn't make an AR platform... because I would have pre-modded rifles with only three levels of purchase... Like it, Love it, and GOTTA HAVE IT!

Is is a common misconception that Colt made the AR. Actually Armalite made the first AR and then sold it to Colt (Armalite Rifle 15=AR15).

Doesn't everyone love wikipedia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15

damienph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Kansas Flint Hills
    I think that my three would all be considered entry level by many but they are all serviceable and accurate as well.

ARGroup_zps5628b118.jpeg

Top - Bushmaster post ban A2
    Middle - DPMS Bull 24
    Bottom - RRA Tactical Entry

For your first I would recommend a 16" (or pinned 14.5") flattop. My RRA was the third one that I bought because of the first two.
    Flattop allows you to easily change the sight system, short barrel is light weight, adjustable stock for however many jackets, sweatshirts, T-shirts - rifle can LOP can be made to fit.

same rifle, different sights
    91b0b94d-9c80-4149-af73-1dfa838a02fd_zps408bf795.jpg

b09ef867-dd7e-49de-a501-501f0d826038_zpsaf03fa5d.jpg

c379e620-86d0-434f-8a65-d03290f84c77_zps075fc2ab.jpg

Top Bottom