Best Flashlight for Handgun Training.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wjhachet

Infidel
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    LaPlace, LA
    I am looking to purchase a good, quality flashlight and not spend $200. I am wanting a flashlight to carry with me and use for pistol training.

:)

DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I've got and recommend the Streamlight Polytac LED. I've got no formal handgun training with the light, but I don't like the idea of concealed carry without having a flashight, so I decided to pick it up. My criteria for selection were not unlike yours. Affordable and easy to carry. It easily beats the pants off of any light I've previously owned. Good luck.

-Also, I think there have been some threads on the subject. Pangris may have had one of his famous "deep thoughts" regarding carry lights.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Be careful going too small. Small is easier to carry but there is a point where small becomes difficult to handle in conjunction with a pistol.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Fenix LD10 or PD20

I have a few Fenix lights and I think they are a great value. My only problem with them is the push button tailcap. Have they made one that is momentary only?

On my lights, which I've had for about 2 years, the tailcap switch is multifunction: press lightly for momentary on, and press harder to click into a latched on. My problem with this design is that under stress it is easy to unintentionally click it to latched, and I find that to be quite distracting. Personally, I don't need something extra to worry about.

Are there replacement caps available, or do you not find this to be a problem?

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Maybe it is just me but I love Surefire lights. I have quite a few and they have never failed.

They are also bright enough to go frog gigging.

Back on topic; I have abused some of mine for many years in the great desert here and they all work great.

EDIT: Also if you are going to train why would you not use a rail mounted light like TLR-1? You never know when you might be down to one hand and then what are you going to do?

just my $.02

Last edited:

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I carry a PD20 everywhere along with a TLR1 on my gun. I have dropped my Fenix PD20 on cement more time than I can count before losing my first one a couple weeks ago. I quickly replaced it with a new one. I have plenty of faith in it now, but like you, I wish they would release a momentary tail switch.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    EDIT: Also if you are going to train why would you not use a rail mounted light like TLR-1? You never know when you might be down to one hand and then what are you going to do?

just my $.02

You need to train with both. :)

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    I carry a pd20 and surefire backup. Both work well.

I did have one problem with my pd20 a while back. I was messing around with it for about an hour at a parade using the strobe mode to flash shine up and get beads, it was on and off a lot. After the hour it stopped working for about 30 minutes or so.

Surefire-2 years+ no problems
    PD20- 1.5 years, one problem

Either would would out very well.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    i used to carry my surefire l4 in my pocket. You would know if it was accidentally turned on after about 5 minutes, it got hot!

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    i used to carry my surefire l4 in my pocket. You would know if it was accidentally turned on after about 5 minutes, it got hot!
    Glad to hear that's normal . I was using mine in the attic a couple of days ago and it got pretty damn hot . I just had it repaired by Surefire a few weeks ago so I was kinda concerned .

Top Bottom