Best Mil-Dot scope

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twistedridge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Gonzales
    I am trying to find out what company makes the best Mil-Dot scopes I have done some research but have not used any looking for some suggestions.

twistedridge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Gonzales
    Thanks I appreciate the info yeah US Optics is well built there was a video of a guy at a optics show he took the scope and beat the crap out of it on a pole or beam and then shot it with no problems. I may have to save my money and look into one of those.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I have a Super Sniper on my M1A Standard using some nice rings and it has been flawless. Not "the best", but gets the job done very well.

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I love my Trijicon Accupoint Mildot. In your price range and is a sturdy good quality scope. It has an illuminated dot in the center, but no batteries to worry about.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Leupold MK-IV CQ/T

Anybody have one of these little jewels? Since you can change it from 1X to 3X I thought it might be the ticket.

la08h4055niwhobqc9h.jpg

2tdot2z7bvh2ck2m62.jpg

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I am wondering if the OP is talking about a scope such as an Aimpoint or the above mentioned CQ/T which both have dots. The dot in the CQ/T is 9MOA at 1x and 3MOA at 3x. The Aimpoints are available in 2 or 4 MOA dots.

OR

A scope with a Mil Dot reticle for range estimation.

As far as the CQ/T I just sold a rifle with one on it. I liked it. For me with my eyes if I dialed it all the way down it appeared as thought the target "got further away". Not a big deal I would just crank it up about 1-16th of a turn and that appeared to be true 1x. THe reticle illumination was cool but I never practically used it. But it did hold zero and I did like the internal magnification as opposed to say a flip to side that the EOtech and Aimpoints offer.

The Mil Dot reticle's offer a good range estimation IF you know how to use them. And they are only as good as your judgement of how many mill's the target takes up AND you have to know the size of the target. IMO get a range finder and let it do it for you. It will be quicker to just shoot it with the laser and have the rangefinder tell you the distance than to mill the target and run the calculation.

The second thing the Mil Dot reticle offers is that you can use the dots for hold over or windage. Again only if you undersand the reticle and how many inches X number of mil's equate to at X distance. Most guys running those reticles have target turret where you dial in windage and elevation anyway.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I have a Super Sniper 10x42 that I love, but if you're willing to spend up to $850 then you should be able to find a used Leupold Mk4 for that much which would be a bit more clear, but would give you variability.

A used Nightforce you should be able to find for $1000-$1500. If you have the means to do so, save up for a USO, Nightforce, S&B, or Premier and then learn how to use it. A hi QUALITY scope will outlast the rifles it's used on and with a good mount/rings system it will be one less factor to second guess when shots miss their mark.

Last edited:

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I bought a scope from them then tried to return etc... and they offered me 40% or so of what I paid for it because of a restocking fee or something it has been some years. But for the most part you can find better prices elsewhere. their forum is ok though and their list of preowned scopes etc... is pretty good.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Fixed power has a 1 disadvantage for me.
    It makes it hard to dry fire indoors if you are in close quarters.
    I have a SS scope and I do trust the tracking of the windage and elevation.
    The knob are a little tight and not marked to be able to see them while behind the scope. (which I will fix) All in all it works though.

As mentioned by several posters here the base and rings are part of the equation.

I have used a mil-dot on a .22. It helps in holding off.

Top Bottom