Best out of box long range platform?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I know I'm starting a brand war here, but that's not my intention. I'm interested in shooting long range competitively, and I'm looking at the Rem 700 Target Tactical .308 with a monarch gold optic. It's going to be a chunk of change all at once, but I really don't want to get so far into upgrading stocks, upgrading barrels, etc...

Looking at a 5-700 yard haul without major modifications down the road. this setup should handle that easily?

suggestions otherwise?

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    According to the Remington website the MSRP is $2117. Paying that much money and still having a factory gun with a factory action is asinine IMO. A Monarch optic may be good for hunting but it certainly is not a precision optic set up for mid range shooting.

Get on snipershide.com and find a used rifle for sale.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    You don't mention your budget, but if you want the best out of the box then look at the Accuracy International rifles. The AIAX system is phenomenal and will compete with the best custom bolt actions both in accuracy and capability. There really is no "brand war" in factory rifles.

Please, for the love of God, don't pay $2000 for a factory 700 and a Monarch scope.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    no, that msrp is ridiculous. should have specified, looking at $1500.00 range. Don't mind buying a quality optic later this year as well. Thanks for the link, thats an awesome package for that price range

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    anyone care to elaborate as to why they'd offer (evne upcharge) for a shorter barrel? it undoubtedly has a higher moa than the longer heavier barrels. whats the story?

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    My opinion...

Come out to the FPR matches and fondle some gear.

Decide what you want.

Watch the for sale forum at snipershide.

There are very few gun parts that I will buy new from now on.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    There are not many smiths spinning up barrels on HOWA actions. I can't elobarate as to why but I would bet there is a reason. As far as cost upcharge for shorting the barrel, I would guess they try to keep the 24" in stock and would have to put it back in the lathe to cut it down.

Depending on what type of matches you plan to shoot may determine certain criteria for the build. Example if you show up to a precision rifle match with a top loader (non detachable mag) you are going to have a bad day. At and FPR match you cant even compete (atleast not for score).

How do you know you would like the B&C stock that the rifle in question comes with. You are going to have to replace the barrel down the road no matter what you go with if you shoot enough. Barrels do get shot out. If you eleborate on what type of matches intrest you people could direct you better. I would also suggest you try to get to a match or two and see what is used. If you ask to handle some gear you probably will be allowed to if you ask the owners.

Rifle shooting is great fun but it is certainly not inexpensive. Saying you want to shoot 500-700 yards and this rifle should be great still leaves alot of blanks to be filled in. If you want the best performance at those ranges ditch the .308.

Last edited:

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Im guessing thats the cost to cut the barrel down to whatever length is chosen. Just simply a labor charge to do the work.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    According to the Remington website the MSRP is $2117. Paying that much money and still having a factory gun with a factory action is asinine IMO. A Monarch optic may be good for hunting but it certainly is not a precision optic set up for mid range shooting.

Get on snipershide.com and find a used rifle for sale.

You don't mention your budget, but if you want the best out of the box then look at the Accuracy International rifles. The AIAX system is phenomenal and will compete with the best custom bolt actions both in accuracy and capability. There really is no "brand war" in factory rifles.

Please, for the love of God, don't pay $2000 for a factory 700 and a Monarch scope.

Wabbit, I am a huge fan of long range accuracy. Will try to compete one day too as well. Been reading these two talk about it for 2 years on here. I don't know them personally; but everytime I've checked and verified some of the stuff they have stated, it panned out to be very accurate and useful information.

One of my good buddies is also "all-in" in this long range craziness, and he is constantly urging me jump in. I bounce stuff off of him too.

Instead of going back and forth on this forum, why don't you PM these boys, get them on the phone, and ask them specific questions. I know they would help you. ;)

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Howa's are metric threads vs inch IIRC.
    Shorter barrels are stiffer. Longer barrels can give a little more velocity. It doesn't matter as both are capable. You can push a bullet fast enough so that it is too fast for the best accuracy. Using all the speed may not be the way to go.
    Longer barrels are also a pain to maneuver. Add a suppressor and you may want a shorter barrel. On Iron sights barrel length adds sight radius, which doesn't help with a scope. That is why some rifle have bloop tubes added, just to get sight radius up.

Tacops has some article on shorter barreled .308s - http://www.tacticaloperations.com/tangoseries/

I would get with Ritten first. Either way

shaggy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Northshore, LA
    Who is charging more for shorter barrels? Under 30" is generally the same price from all reputable barrel makers.

Now, a smith cutting and crowning one into a shorter length will cost more (to go from a 26 to something like a 22") just bc of the labor involved.

tangiltows

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Denham Springs, La
    If I was in the market for an out of the box long range rifle, I would get a Savage model 10 FCP-SR. Msrp of $1200
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/M10FCP10/

The Ritten guys know waaay more than I do, this is just another option for you to consider.
    +1 on the savage 10 fcp. we have 2 and will shoot bug-hole groups w/ selected reloads. stocks are solid and comfortable, rifle has good weight and not soo expensive if you decide to move to something else later. we have no regrets! also, +1 on what barney88pdc said, if you are looking past 600 yds look for something with more gunpowder! laura&vic

Top Bottom