Blasting stainless for a matte finish advice?????

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Has anyone out there ever blasted a stainless firearm to give it a matte finish? I have access to a blaster filled with very fine grit sand and I also have access to one filled with 16grit alumina. I didn't think using the alumina would be good idea mainly because that stuff gets recycled and there is likley to be bits of carbon steel mixed in it from blasting other items.
    Any advice would be appreciated.:confused:

electronicwiz

Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Brusly
    Not sure what would give you the look you are after, but you could experiment with different blasting media. I know we used to have a couple of bags of fine glass beads we had bought for fine blasting. They may still be somewhere laying around the shop. Find a piece of stainless laying around the shop and try different things. There was also a bag of fine Zircon sand behind the 1000# furnace on the wall, unless it got tossed.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I guess I'll have to do some trial runs. And I probably need to contact the rifle manufacturer and find out what kind of SS is on the gun

mb504

Better than Cheese
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    New Orleans
    Glass beads would be the way to go. The sand and alumina will give a "sharper" finish.

Another finish option for SS would be a fine brushed finish with very fine scotch-brit pads or synthetic "steel wool"

Top Bottom