Brand New F150 Ecoboost Eats Three Engines

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'll throw this tidbit of unverified info out there: the first engine died at 2.79 BAR (26# of boost). Don't know about the other two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I heard some chatter about one of the reasons for engine failures. Water is condensing in the intercooler during certain conditions. Hot weather and cold rain? Just a guess. Part of the fix is a redesigned cooler and plumbing. I have faith Ford will get it right. I still stand by my statement I do not care to be a test owner.

screamingdemon

Firearm & DSM Junky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2007
    Cotton Valley, LA
    Unless he's cranking the boost way high (not sure how much the stock turbos can handle PSI wise) the ECM should be able to relearn enough to be safe. Does Ford have the fuel system nearly maxed out? Maybe their ECM doesn't allow enough wiggle room without something piggybacking it to throw enough fuel for the upped airflow? Once the motor is "broke in" he should be able to be pretty rough on it without popping it. I know my Talon's ECU can handle basic performance upgrades (exhaust, intake, hard intercooler piping, and bumping the boost up a few PSI) without hitting fuel cut. Granted they're different applications but they're still turbo gas burners so some of the same principles should apply.

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    The stock turbocharger is able to hit well over 28# of boost if the conditions are right.

This.

And if I recall correctly, at wot off idle, throttle angle goes to 80% and boost to 12 psi. As rpm increase, throttle able (while still to floor) decreases slowly to 40% and boost to 8 psi. It's been awhile since I tested one, so numbers are fuzzy.

Just because it may have hit a high max pressure still doesn't mean it was nodded. Mechanical failures of other parts could cause it.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    The company I work for owns about 8 Ford F150 (4 door models) with the eco boost engines. The are driven hard by the employees and run great. The have tons of power. I definitely prefer it over the 5 liter. We get very good mpg with these trucks.

None have had any issues. They are driven all over the coastal US by a bunch of young drivers going back and forth to job locations. They drive these trucks hard. They seem to be built really well. Very quiet interior and terrific ride.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    The company I work for owns about 8 Ford F150 (4 door models) with the eco boost engines. The are driven hard by the employees and run great. The have tons of power. I definitely prefer it over the 5 liter. We get very good mpg with these trucks.

None have had any issues. They are driven all over the coastal US by a bunch of young drivers going back and forth to job locations. They drive these trucks hard. They seem to be built really well. Very quiet interior and terrific ride.

Like I said. One pissed off person with a computer, now, can make a very small problem seem much larger than it really is. Do real research and the real facts become evident.

Top Bottom