Brand New from Lake Charles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanessa

Derpinessa
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Lake Charles, LA
    You do know there's an indoor range in Lake Charles? Not knocking Barney's but it would save you some driving...

Yep, I mentioned in post #16 of this thread that I work across the street from Hunters Supply & Pistol Range.

Will there be some new holes in the ceiling on Monday??
    LOL

Haha! Probably!

Nice gun, hope you enjoy it. Ever come to the nola area?

Nah, I don't.

Vanessa

Derpinessa
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Lake Charles, LA
    Salma Hayek got a new clip extension today. Now my pinky doesn't hang off.

vi1vg3.jpg

Heartless

I get off on the pain.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Marrero, LA
    Go with the glock 19 it's small enough to be cute, but you'll actually be able to handle it effectively. glock 26s are for back up only really. of course if you want to be a true american and love america freedom tide and nascar go with s&w m&p9c, made in the usa and better than a glock, especially the disgraces they're churning out these days.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Welcome!

Just an opinion here. I'm all for being girlie and bling blinging our accessories. But as a mother my thoughts are that guns should look like guns. Not toys. 99% of our firearms are locked away. But our carry pieces are not always behind locked safes. I can teach my child to not touch, but bright colors yell out for extra attention.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Welcome!

Just an opinion here. I'm all for being girlie and bling blinging our accessories. But as a mother my thoughts are that guns should look like guns. Not toys. 99% of our firearms are locked away. But our carry pieces are not always behind locked safes. I can teach my child to not touch, but bright colors yell out for extra attention.

My wife feels the same way Cat. I asked her the other day if she would be interested in an AR with pink furniture and she completely surprised me with her answer, I was proud!!! :exnbp: It also helps that she has read two Navy SEAL books in the past week.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    My wife feels the same way Cat. I asked her the other day if she would be interested in an AR with pink furniture and she completely surprised me with her answer, I was proud!!! :exnbp: It also helps that she has read two Navy SEAL books in the past week.

I passed on the popular SEALS books this month. American Sniper was awesome, since the Bin Laden frenzy, I've immediately turned my nose up at these people coming out for interviews and book deals. Now the war dog books. I have read all of those. :)

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I passed on the popular SEALS books this month. American Sniper was awesome, since the Bin Laden frenzy, I've immediately turned my nose up at these people coming out for interviews and book deals. Now the war dog books. I have read all of those. :)

She just got done reading the Chris Kyle book, loved it. She also read the one from the guy with the fake name about the UBL raid, said it was pretty good. Overall she was happy with them. I am reading Lone Survivor right now, that is good so far just a little slow at the beginning.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Omg... I can't believe I'm suggesting this... I'm not bashing ya Vanessa. I'm thrilled you are coming out of the gate interested in a 9mm off the bat and expressing an interest in shooting a .45. That's a huge step.

But you mention you just want something to toss in the purse or car. Are you also planning on going to the range and practicing often? Polymer guns like a Glock are great. You can't beat them. For all their wonderful qualities, they have one disadvantage. From time to time, they can jam. A round won't cycle correctly, you may have seated the magazine a little wonky. You get stuck with a useless firearm for whatever the reason. Fortunately it can be a very quick fix in a split second. But the point is: banging around in a purse if you don't make sure to keep it clean and practice working through a gun jam... You have that small disadvantage already.

Have you looked at some of the revolvers on the market? They're there when you need it, don't require much more than point/shoot in regards to practicing often. And they are across the board solidly reliable. (Go ahead Steve, faint now ;) )

I purse carry but I also recognize its giving another disadvantage. Most altercations are within 30ft iirc. I can't get something from my purse that quick. It's why I've been on the prowl for a holster for women, and increasingly changing my wardrobe to adapt for concealment. Scarf to vest tutorials on Pinterest are the bomb for this btw. :)

Are you looking at getting your conceal permit? You can't purse carry without one. You should anyway. Never know when you need it. :) Check our training section. There are great guys here that offer classes or can direct you to some.

My last tiny bit of advice. Everything you hear at a gunshow, verify. Ask here. You'll get great feedback. Not everyone who thinks they know firearms can give accurate advice. Gunshows are kind of like going to the circus for make-up tips. You might luck out and get help from the dazzling pony princess. But chances are, you'll run into a clowncar full of weirdos first. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PatRome
    Top Bottom