Bringing Deer Meat Back From Mississippi

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pdufrene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Luling, LA
    What are the rules for transporting deer meat/antlers from MS to LA? I hunt in MS only, so I don't buy a LA hunting license, but what if I get stopped while bringing my ice chest of deer meat home along with a big set of horns? It's obvious that I will not have the proper LA tags, so what do I need to do to protect myself?

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Your MS license.

+1.

Not sure about MS's tagging requirements, but if MS doesn't issue tags with your lic. #, hand write one for the rack and mark each package of meat with your name and lic. #.

LA required tagging for several years before they started issuing a standardized tag, so I hand wrote on generic Kraft paper tags for a while.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    MS has no tagging system in place yet. A voluntary system is being used to warm people up to the idea. Just have your MS hunting lic. with you.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    LA required tagging for several years before they started issuing a standardized tag, so I hand wrote on generic Kraft paper tags for a while.

La still requires a separate transportation tag for any part of a deer that is divided. This is not to be confused with the field possession tag with your license. Check page 19 of the 2010 hunting regulations, right hand column.

Of course this only applies to a deer taken in Louisiana. I would agree with others here that Mississippi's regulations and your license should cover you on transport. Might be a good idea to check with an agent though.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    When we hunt in MS, we usually tag the meat in the ice chest similar to how it's required in LA. We'd put the name of the hunter and his address/license info, along with the date of kill, sex of deer (or number of points) and county it was taken from in a small ziploc bag. Just for in case.

pdufrene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Luling, LA
    Thanks for all of the info. I can't imagine getting in trouble if I keep an LA transportation tag with all of the deer parts with the appropriate information. I'm feeling real lucky this year....

Nice deer Dave

Top Bottom