Buffer Zone Suggestion Thread ** Official

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    I was bored so I put together a map. Not real sure where the new BZ is but if someone would like to point it out, that'd be great...THX

i4711_Bz.jpg
    i dunno, i still shoot at the one by the boat launch and might be going today if it doesnt look like rain.

got a portable gazebo i plan on using to keep the sun off

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    The pit designated by arrow #3 is where I've been shooting for about 2 years.
    #2 is also used by some folks.
    Never saw the one marked #1, but it looks a little too close to the Interstate for my comfort.

GoKill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Thanks for the responses.

I would prefer to go back to the BZ by the launch but I don't want to get a ticket. So I'm gonna see what spot 2 looks like this weekend. It's far enough from everything that I don't see what problem they would have. Law states (I believe), that out in the county, all that is required is your 100' off the road.

Just finished a M4 after about a 9 month build. Only put about 4 clips through it total. So I want a bit more range time with it. But at the same time don't want any trouble.

A friend that's a handcock county cop told me he used to shoot at the BZ but stopped going when they closed it.

Also went there this past weekend and met an elderly chap at the launch that gave me the Whooole history of the place. :D He seems to think it's still closed, says he's been getting his drinking water from the well there for 20 years.... Says folks got scared to go to the grave yard near by because of the shooting, headstones were shot up, the well was shot up and the hunting clubs complained during deer season, is what led to the closure.

I'm gonna go to spot 2 or 3 on the map this weekend. As they look the most secluded.

thx

Last edited:

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    All of those sites are too close to the rest area which has security 24 hrs/day; I would expect them to call the local cops about shooting there

The guard shack at the rest area is over a mile away, LOS. A gunshot probably won't even be heard from that far away, especially since it's heavily wooded.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    The pit designated by arrow #3 is where I've been shooting for about 2 years.
    #2 is also used by some folks.
    Never saw the one marked #1, but it looks a little too close to the Interstate for my comfort.

i think ive shot at #3 before.

if it wasnt that one it was another that seems to look quite a bit like it, but a police officer asked me to pack my guns up and leave.

i dont know though with satellite images, i might be wrong

GoKill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Those are some mighty fine photo's Mr. Wilson.

A few questions if you don't mind.

How long were you guys out there?
    Did anyone mess with yall?
    Did yall run into anyone else?

Man I have shot at a lot of places and I just really like the BZ.

I'm gonna head out there this weekend. Hope no one shot the table to pieces yet.

Thanks!

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    Those are some mighty fine photo's Mr. Wilson.

A few questions if you don't mind.

How long were you guys out there?
    Did anyone mess with yall?
    Did yall run into anyone else?

Man I have shot at a lot of places and I just really like the BZ.

I'm gonna head out there this weekend. Hope no one shot the table to pieces yet.

Thanks!

wanna say about 2 or 3 hours. something like that.
    nobody messed with us, did hear cars pass by now and then
    we were the only ones down there

no prob

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    I went out yesterday, early.
    No-one bothered me at "old BZ", there were two old fellas fishing off the dock there but otherwise did'nt see a soul.
    The spot marked 2 on the map had a lot of new brass lying around from .45 to 300 win and 7mag. number 3 also showed signs of recent activity.
    Tried to get to number 1 but it is a single dirt track road (very narrow) and I did'nt fancy my chances of a speedy retreat if necessary so backed out about 300m in.
    Didn't look at number 4.
    Hypothetical Question.
    It is just over the Mississippi state line which I was unaware of.
    As a LA licence holder are any laws being broken, a) crossing the state line with a weapon, b) firing a weapon in said state?

Last edited:

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    I went out yesterday, early.
    No-one bothered me at "old BZ", there were two old fellas fishing off the dock there but otherwise did'nt see a soul.
    The spot marked 2 on the map had a lot of new brass lying around from .45 to 300 win and 7mag. number 3 also showed signs of recent activity.
    Tried to get to number 1 but it is a single dirt track road (very narrow) and I did'nt fancy my chances of a speedy retreat if necessary so backed out about 300m in.
    Didn't look at number 4.
    Hypothetical Question.
    It is just over the Mississippi state line which I was unaware of.
    As a LA licence holder are any laws being broken, a) crossing the state line with a weapon, b) firing a weapon in said state?

its good to know we got options :D

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Spent 2 hours at BZ2 Wed. evening. A deputy was patrolling. No issue.

Managed to haul 5 bags of garbage away, but it barely made a dent.

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    Went to the spot marked -new 3?- yesterday.
    Put about 400 rounds down range over a couple of hours.
    Two other fellas were shooting there when I arrived, one, a LEO said the cops don't have a "problem" with people shooting there as long as you ain't doing anything stupid.
    Good to know.

Sean848

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Went shooting Saturday 12/11... We went to the old BZ first, but were run off before we had a chance to let off a round. The officer was nice about it, he explained to us that the Navy had nothing to do with it. The wild life and fishery shut it down do to excessive trash... Also because of a complaint made by members of the hunting lease surrounding the area regarding all of the rounds being deflected upward towards their stands. Probably from all the water shooting. On a brighter note, we went directly to BZ 3 (new BZ) and had no problems. Much respect to whomever brought in the machine and did all the work there. Everything was clean and in order, which was nice to see. 3 others stopped by while we were there to shoot and I could hear another group having some fun at BZ 2. Was a good time, I got to break in my new Saiga 12 the right way. haha we picked up all of our trash afterwards, hope everyone does the same once and a while so this place sticks around.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Went shooting Saturday 12/11... We went to the old BZ first, but were run off before we had a chance to let off a round. The officer was nice about it, he explained to us that the Navy had nothing to do with it. The wild life and fishery shut it down do to excessive trash... Also because of a complaint made by members of the hunting lease surrounding the area regarding all of the rounds being deflected upward towards their stands. Probably from all the water shooting. On a brighter note, we went directly to BZ 3 (new BZ) and had no problems. Much respect to whomever brought in the machine and did all the work there. Everything was clean and in order, which was nice to see. 3 others stopped by while we were there to shoot and I could hear another group having some fun at BZ 2. Was a good time, I got to break in my new Saiga 12 the right way. haha we picked up all of our trash afterwards, hope everyone does the same once and a while so this place sticks around.

Directions to BZ 3?

Top Bottom