BUG / Pocket Pistols

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    That picture I posted is a comparison of the Shield with an extended magazine and my G4 Glock 19.

I have several Shield vs 42 comparison pictures. I'll post them later on after I get home. I may have some with a 26 and 19 mixed in there also.

JR1572

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Well I went and played with the Shield / P3AT / Bodyguard / LCP this weekend and compared them all next to each other. For a pocket pistol I am kind of torn between the LCP and the Bodyguard. The BG felt better in my hand than the LCP, but it was only just a little bit. I liked the sights on the BG a little more than the LCP too. I did not like the P3AT at all. It felt like a cheap LCP. The shield was my favorite, but it isn't really small enough to be a pocket pistol.

sc00by

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    And I will not be that close to an attacker either.
    Nobody ever wants to be that close, but it happens... a lot. Don't think so? Next time you go get some gas, take a look at your line of sight regarding the pump. Take a buddy with you, and tell him to circle the pump while you fill up; even when you know he's there/coming, you'll be stunned at just how close he will be (and how badly positioned you are with one hand on the hose, or when you are trying to use your credit card to pay, or when you are getting back into your vehicle). You don't have much space at all.

There's a lot of pretty brazen bums wandering around gas stations, even/especially in the middle of the day. Busy places are even worse than isolated ones, because it's hard to stay aware of everyone.

I have a Polish P-64 in 9 makarov that I like. Quite small, but solid and points well. Heavy DA trigger helps prevent a panicked accidental discharge, but it's not THAT heavy if you need it. The extra weight absorbs recoil (so it's not so unpleasant that you NEVER practice with it at the range), and by being a heavy, all-steel gun, if nothing else, it would do some damage even as a club.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    My pocket pistol of choice has always been the hard chromed Kel-Tec P3AT. Unfortunately, the M&P Shield just doesn't fit in a pocket quite as nicely. Truth be told, I'm still looking for a pocket 9mm that works with slacks and dress pants.

Then again, I still need to lose another 40 to 50 pounds. After that, I should be able to carry just about anything!

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Well I went and played with the Shield / P3AT / Bodyguard / LCP this weekend and compared them all next to each other. For a pocket pistol I am kind of torn between the LCP and the Bodyguard. The BG felt better in my hand than the LCP, but it was only just a little bit. I liked the sights on the BG a little more than the LCP too. I did not like the P3AT at all. It felt like a cheap LCP. The shield was my favorite, but it isn't really small enough to be a pocket pistol.

The LSP is now issuing the BG as a BUG for their Troopers. That should speak volumes about the quality of the BG.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    The LSP is now issuing the BG as a BUG for their Troopers. That should speak volumes about the quality of the BG.

I've seen people whine about the triggers on the Bodyguard. I see people whine about triggers on lots of guns. Too scratchy, too stiff (at 5-9 pounds) too long of a pull. I tell you, some folks will cry about anything.

The Bodyguard is a stout little pistol, and it shoots great for it's intended purpose. I have no issue with the trigger, but I have no issue with most any trigger that causes the gun to fire when pulled. I did not like the post lawsuit trigger on the SW Sigma series, that was intentionally made to suck. Yeah, that's a valid complaint. Butterfly triggers on M2's, I don't like those much either, but they're so much fun I quickly forget about it, if I even remember that I don't like them at all.

Proper form, sight alignment, sight picture, breath control, squeeze trigger. It ain't that difficult. If you're under stress, you aren't thinking about any of that anyways. You'll do what's natural, and hopefully you've trained enough that what's proper has become natural, at least that's how I see it.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish

Think you made a good choice. The sights on the LCP accompanied with the long ass trigger pull made me weary. So, when I practiced, I did mostly instinctive shooting and then mounted a CT grip for good measure. The CT helped me adjust to the trigger during dry fire practice as well. Just my opinion. It's by no means a range gun, but for the money, it's worth it.

But, you'll never sway me from my P380 :P

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    if size is my deciding factor I want the extreme. The keltec hides in gym shorts or inside a cargo pocket perfectly. The LCP is ~ the same, just double the cost for the exact same gun (personal opinion). If my size comparison was as close as say, a g26 to a g19 or a BG to a G26, I'd always opt caliber: 9mm

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    if size is my deciding factor I want the extreme. The keltec hides in gym shorts or inside a cargo pocket perfectly. The LCP is ~ the same, just double the cost for the exact same gun (personal opinion). If my size comparison was as close as say, a g26 to a g19 or a BG to a G26, I'd always opt caliber: 9mm

I put them on top of each other. The lcp and bg are essentially the same size...?

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I put them on top of each other. The lcp and bg are essentially the same size...?

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

yeah I'd guess it was more of a weight thing. the BG was noticeably heavier. I remember making some remark about it, but I can't say that I've held all three guns up together.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Well I use to carry a PPKs but found it was very picky on ammo & was heavy for it's size. Got rid of that one and moved to a Kahr PM-9 for pocket carry. Since I load 9mm stuff finding practice ammo became real easy and it is easier to find quality 9mm ammo. Carry an old Gen-2 19 most of the time but use the PM-9 when I want something in my pocket.

Beauxdog

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Apologies if I missed the post, but did you make a purchase yet? If so, what did you get?

I opted for purchasing a trip to Chicago in a few weeks haha. Had an opportunity present itself that I couldn't resist :) I don't /need/ any more guns and I certainly have a few smaller ones that will work for CC for the time being if I decide so.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I opted for purchasing a trip to Chicago in a few weeks haha. Had an opportunity present itself that I couldn't resist :) I don't /need/ any more guns and I certainly have a few smaller ones that will work for CC for the time being if I decide so.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Heh! I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to go up there, unless it was for a pizza.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Heh! I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to go up there, unless it was for a pizza.

PIIZZZZZAAAAA! Nah, I have never been and I was convinced to go. Figure I would give it a shot. I like travelling and opportunities like this are hard to pass up on!

Top Bottom