Bulgarian AK74 rebuild

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Over 10 years ago, I acquired a Bulgy 74 kit with virgin barrel, thanks to AKshooter for the lead. Following recommendations from several people on this site at the time, I had a well known member build the kit and, well, let's just say it was less than optimal, with quite a few issues.
    The barrel was way out of line with the receiver, the bolt was eating away at the ejector, the stock did not lock up tight, the finish had spatter all over it, ect. That's just the issues that come to mind, I'm sure there were others.
    Well, 10 years passed and I finally got tired of opening my safe and having a would be $3k rifle that was all ****** up, just staring at me.
    So, I took it to Mesa Kinetics and the guy quoted me like $1200-$1500 to fix it. That was an obvious, and instant, hard NO. He also kindly offered to purchase the rifle for ~$1k, which also was an obvious, and instant, hard NO. While the guy seemed like a nice dude and we had a decent conversation, I could not help but to think that either a) he did not know exactly what he was talking about about as far as the work needed, or b) he was trying to **** me, or both.
    So, I went home and put it back in the safe and let it stare me down for another year, every time I opened the door.
    Then I started looking for a non-local option to get the rifle rebuilt to the condition it deserves to be in. I had been following a company on Instagram for quite a while, M13 Industries, based out of Vegas, and always admired their work, so I messaged them, sent them plenty of pictures, and had a promising conversation and quote of $650 for a complete rebuild with new, correct Bulgarian marked receiver.
    I decided to take the leap and sent it off to them last June, I believe. They do a ton of work, so their lead times are quite extensive, but I have a feeling it will be worth the wait. I got word today that the rifle is complete and ready for payment and shipping. Will be glad to have her back home, looking and performing as she should have over 10 years ago.

I will post more pics once I get it back in my possession.

Shout out to https://m13industries.com for the help.
    1b10eb0345aceea446b27dbb6c00a655.jpg
    7c9e2eca4882fa133c4cb3092ca46248.jpg

Last edited:

Tonyaav

Tony
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Natchitoches ( outside of )
    Over 10 years ago, I acquired a Bulgy 74 kit with virgin barrel, thanks to AKshooter for the lead. Following recommendations from several people on this site at the time, I had a well known member build the kit and, well, let's just say it was less than optimal, with quite a few issues.
    The barrel was way out of line with the receiver, the bolt was eating away at the ejector, the stock did not lock up tight, the finish had spatter all over it, ect. That's just the issues that come to mind, I'm sure there were others.
    Well, 10 years passed and I finally got tired of opening my safe and having a would be $3k rifle that was all ****** up, just staring at me.
    So, I took it to Mesa Kinetics and the guy quoted me like $1200-$1500 to fix it. That was an obvious, and instant, hard NO. He also kindly offered to purchase the rifle for ~$1k, which also was an obvious, and instant, hard NO. While the guy seemed like a nice dude and we had a decent conversation, I could not help but to think that either a) he did not know exactly what he was talking about about as far as the work needed, or b) he was trying to **** me, or both.
    So, I went home and put it back in the safe and let it stare me down for another year, every time I opened the door.
    Then I started looking for a non-local option to get the rifle rebuilt to the condition it deserves to be in. I had been following a company on Instagram for quite a while, M13 Industries, based out of Vegas, and always admired their work, so I messaged them, sent them plenty of pictures, and had a promising conversation and quote of $650 for a complete rebuild with new, correct Bulgarian marked receiver.
    I decided to take the leap and sent it off to them last June, I believe. They do a ton of work, so their lead times are quite extensive, but I have a feeling it will be worth the wait. I got word today that the rifle is complete and ready for payment and shipping. Will be glad to have her back home, looking and performing as she should have over 10 years ago.

I will post more pics once I get it back in my possession.

Shout out to https://m13industries.com for the help.
    1b10eb0345aceea446b27dbb6c00a655.jpg
    7c9e2eca4882fa133c4cb3092ca46248.jpg

Congrats on getting you rifle back!
    Similar story at Mesa.
    Long story short.. took a little UF years ago with a red jacket stamp on it.. ironic.
    “ headspace is trashed , gun is garbage. However, I’ll give $800 for it.”
    Last time I stepped foot.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Congrats on getting you rifle back!
    Similar story at Mesa.
    Long story short.. took a little UF years ago with a red jacket stamp on it.. ironic.
    “ headspace is trashed , gun is garbage. However, I’ll give $800 for it.”
    Last time I stepped foot.
    I see him recommended here from time to time and people talk good about him. I was starting to think I was the irrational one. I appreciate the input.
    It's a shame that we don't have a local shop that has a solid reputation and capability.
    I am hesitant to recommend any company that I have not yet put my eyes and hands on their work, but from all I have seen, M13 is solid, as well as Jim Fuller at Fullerphx.com.

Last edited:

Tonyaav

Tony
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Natchitoches ( outside of )
    I see him recommended here from time to time and people talk good about him. I was starting to think I was the irrational one. I appreciate the input.
    It's a shame that we don't have a local shop that has a solid reputation and capability.
    I am hesitant to recommend any company that I have not yet put my eyes and hands on their work, but from all I have seen, M13 is solid, as well as Jim Fuller at Fullerphx.com.

Yeah I think the general opinion is their work is / was top notch.
    I can’t have an opinion on actual work as I have no first hand experience. Just the one interaction.

Anyway enough of that.
    Let us know how your 74 runs.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Looking real good.

I had a similar experience with a well known member on here with a Draco. Long story short, it got sent to another state to have a barrel swap and clean up. Runs like a kitten now.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Looking real good.

I had a similar experience with a well known member on here with a Draco. Long story short, it got sent to another state to have a barrel swap and clean up. Runs like a kitten now.
    Where did u send it to get fixed up, if you don't mind me asking?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Congrats brah! Looks real clean. I regret that I got away from building AK’s. I do still have a handful of parts and some blanks I bought dirt cheap from Sportsman’s Guide eons ago, but sold off my jigs and press setup to a buddy who dove into it.
    You did the right thing with that Bulgy. Sorry it took 2 tries, but I think you got your money’s worth this go round.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have rebuilt many aks that were put together in local build parties... some of the shoddiest work I have ever seen. Had to replace receivers and turn the barrels correctly to make them work. Sadly 2 of them were mint romy g parts.

Also bought and fixed 2 aks that were inspected by Mesa. One had an out of spec gas block (aes10b, century imported gun that was built in Romania with used parts) and the other was built on an old Ohio ordnance receiver that are known to have short bolt guide rails. I put a buffer in it and it ran fine. Not sure if that guy just charges epic money, or he wants to buy the guns cheap.

I invested in all of the ak tools years ago, and built a bunch for myself to learn on. Not difficult at all, but a keen eye is required.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Finally got the time and decent weather to put a few rounds through the rifle this afternoon.
    It runs great, everything is nice and smooth, and I swear I heard the shells landing 20-30ft away. Seems to be as accurate as my eyes will allow. I am satisfied.

Top Bottom