Buying New Gun Safe - Best Place, Brand, Features?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIBBSLSU

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    I have been in the market for a new safe. Curious to hear any recommendations, specifically the best place to purchase one, best brand, features, etc.

I have been looking at the Liberty Franklin 35 gun or something comparable (60 minute fire rating, configurable interior, door panel storage). Open to buying used in good condition.

Also curious to hear experiences with delivery or moving safes such as this weighing ~800 pounds.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    The Liberty Presidential line has all the features I was looking for; fire rating, internal hinges, vertical and horizontal cross bolts, lighting and dehumidifier. I went with the Lincoln, but the Franklin is also a good choice.

snot rod

Hot Rodder Extraordinair
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    St. Amant
    If you go liberty then you need to go check out cabelas. They carry the liberty safes under the cabelas name. And because it says cabelas on the front instead of liberty, you save some bank. Just look at the labels inside the door and you will see liberty logo and the fact that they are made in the USA.

madppcs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Forest Hill
    Ive got a Liberty Colonial edition. It a good size safe. I didn't need all the fancy carpet inside. I just needed storage room. The price was awesome.

fishbaja2

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Baton rouge
    Liberty

I searched the country, researching the best for my needs and came up with Liberty Fatboy. Pricing was better than anyone at Circle Hardware in Albany. I picked it up on my trailer with the help of their forklift. I learned what it takes to off load a 900 lb box off a trailer once home!!!! It can be done but if i did over i would pay extra for an experience crew to offload at place:)

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Look at steel plate thickness on doors and walls. Most doors are composite with only 10-12 gauge steel which is not good. 1/4"-3/8" is much better. Read the fire rating carefully. 60 minutes at what temp was it tested ? A 60 min rated safe at 1800 degrees is much better than a 60 minute safe rated at 1200 degrees. They can be very decieving that way.

ccubed1974

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    check out mike wards liberty safes on essen and perkins in baton rouge i picked mine up from him and he will help you with any questions you have

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Canon has some with EMP (electronic/dial override) locks that seem reasonably priced. Picked up 2 last month.
    <500#: 3 big friends and an appliance dolly (assuming no stairs)
    >500#: hire a pro for +/-$200
    MHO from 5 experiences.

nlee318

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Bastrop, Louisiana
    If you dont mind a road trip Marks Outdoors in Vestavia Al is where I bought my Liberty Franklin 50. It was priced at $1700 before tax. Granted I travel for a living so I planned a stop to check them out. Myself and two buddies unloaded it from the back of my truck " tailgate off" once I got back home she slid right into place across wood floors setting on a comforter. Just my .02

Untranslate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2012
    I got the Liberty colonial 50. Which is the 64 long gun safe. I really like it and I like the fact that it is tall so vertical space is not wasted. The only thing i would consider changing is the lock. I think i would rather have the digital for the speed of use. I keep a handgun out to defend my house and home but i would love to be able to get into the safe really quickly JIC.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    You done good.
    Someone will be along shortly to tell you electric locks are **** and they can open their combo lock faster anyway...

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Anyone have any experience with winchester safes? Have been researching and comparing alot of them and the legacy premier 53 really seems to offer the most bang for the buck..... The Brownings would be my second choice I believe but definitely a little more pricey. Any local dealers besides tractor supply that anyone knows of?

Top Bottom