Can I buy aviation fuel at an airport? Anywhere near Prairieviile?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    I'm wanting to purchase aviation fuel for use in a dirt bike. I've been told that AV gas does not go bad as quickly as auto gasoline. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on who can purchase AV gas?

Are local airports a good source?

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Unless your bike is set up to run on high octane gas because you're a high level racer, you're looking for non-ethylene gas.

We ONLY use non-ethylene gas in our dirt bikes, lawn mower, generator, etc. Keep a separate gas can which is only used for your dirt bike and occasional use equipment.

Here is a place to start:

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=LA

Dirty

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    The gas station by the railroad tracks on Old Perkins advertises as ethanol-free. I think the place on 73 across from the daycare does as well, about halfway between Airline and I10.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

Matchgrade

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Red Stick
    I've run aviation fuel in my bracket racing car for 20 years and the biggest benefits are consistency and long stability. You will need to jet up on the carb because the aviation fuel burns leaner and requires more fuel (you don't want to burn a piston). It will also vaporize quicker when left in a vented/open tank or container. I've left aviation fuel sitting in a container for a year and a half and it was still as fresh as the day I got it. Non-ethanol gasoline will start to varnish up in the container and your fuel system after only a few months. The benefits of non-ethanol gas is that it doesn't eat up the rubber hoses and seals in non flex fuel equipped engines and it does not attract water. As far as a source local to you, I would call the local fuel distributors in the area.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Word of advice - take all automotive advice from non-automotive forums with a grain of salt.

I've run 100LL in a ton of things. Never really makes more power, but it always runs smoother.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Yep, if you don't need the octane don't run it.

To answer your question, I have bought it from the pump at Gonzales airport before. It should be noted that octane for av gas isn't controlled as tight as for motor fuel.

Tureaus grocery on 431 near Lake Martin has ethanol free fuel.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    100LL is still a leaded fuel, and lead in fuel presents other engine operating issues as well (think long term valve train), even in aircraft engines.
    The engine wasn't designed, and set up to run that kind of fuel, so stick to what the manufacturer recommends.
    I think you're referring to an XR400, iirc, which, to my knowledge, doesn't have a catalytic converter, but if it did, and you ran the 100LL av gas, the lead would eventually clog up, and fry the cat.
    Go for non-ethanol fuel, and if you're going to store it for a while, shut off the fuel supply, and run the carb empty.
    If it has a plastic tank, I'd empty it.
    If it has a metal tank, fill it to the brim, to help keep moisture from accumulating in the tank, and use stabil.
    If you ride it on a regular basis, then the above suggestions aren't as critical.

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Leaded fuel will actually lubricate your valve train. That's the reason it was added to begin with way back in the day.

What it will do is coat your oxygen sensors which will cause it to be off on air/fuel ratio. However he is asking about using it in his bikes, which I assume to be dirt bikes since he mentioned 4 stroke, which takes the sensor and converter problem out.

Only downfall is that the motor will be less efficient due to having more octane (which is actually resistance to burning) than needed. May run OK, may not. Still much cheaper to use non ethanol fuel and a stabilizer.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Aviation fuel has a lower vapor pressure in order to vaporize more easily at colder altitudes and can cause vapor lock problems at hot sea level conditions.

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    The gas station by the railroad tracks on Old Perkins advertises as ethanol-free. I think the place on 73 across from the daycare does as well, about halfway between Airline and I10.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

That is the Village Market. It is the corner of 73 and Southwood Village. I use to fuel up there all the time with my truck. I always saw a good 1-2 mpg per tank better compared to ethanol blend.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I purchase my non ethanol gasoline at Chips on the corner of Hwy 44 and Causey/Merrit Evans for my boat and small engines. Cost is presently $3.35 per gallon, cheap insurance from water buildup in my opinion.
    SVT I think you meant resistance to knock, not burning..they are different:)

bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    What is the difference between automobile, marine and aviation gasoline blends?

Would marine gasoline be a better choice for a 4 stroke dirt bike?

Top Bottom