Can open carry be illegal in a city that is in a open carry state?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I think the officer's statement overstepped the law. He is correct of course about the rights of private property owners to forbid carry, no argument there. But from the dialogue it seems there is not signage, therefore the OCer was not breaking the law.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    the whole foods in baton rouge for years had a "no firearms" sign on the door. However in the last 2 or so years it was removed. Im not sure what the companies policy is on customers carrying guns is though.

They also have a no smoking sign. But is you take a 5:30 am run near the front of the building you will get your daily dose of second hand smoke from the employees congregated there.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I wouldn't mind reading up on those or anything else you might have. Only two places I know so far is no carry in hospitals and federal buildings.

I ran across this one when I was going to the War Vets Home to visit a buddy.

RS 14:402.1

§402.1. Taking of contraband to state-owned hospitals unlawful; penalty

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to introduce or attempt to introduce into or upon the grounds or buildings of any state-owned and administered hospital or related facility, except through regular channels as authorized by the administrator of the hospital, any of the following articles which are hereby declared contraband for the purposes of this Part, namely: Any intoxicating beverage or beverage which causes or may cause an intoxicating effect; any narcotic or hypnotic or exciting drug of whatever kind or nature including nasal inhalators of any variety, sleeping pills or barbiturates of any variety that create or may create a hypnotic effect if taken internally; and any firearm or other instrumentality customarily considered a dangerous weapon.

B. Whoever violates any provision of this Section shall upon conviction be imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than three years.

Added by Acts 1962, No. 383, §1; Acts 2001, No. 403, §1, eff. June 15, 2001.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Fun fact-- the officer is illegally parked.

The unit that sits on that corner is illegally parked 99.9% of the time, truth be told.

Not that I care-- I just think that spot shouldn't be marked off with the yellow. Picking up a pizza there is a PITA! (And it's obviously not unsafe to put a vehicle there...)

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    And after taking the time to finish the video...

:bowrofl:

I feel safer already, knowing the hardened man working the detail at the Uptown Whole Foods won't let someone shopping for organic foods to take home to their Hipster girlfriend get the drop on him.

And that's the way that all shootings go down, don't ya know? 20-something kid rolls up in his Prius, heads on in to the trendy super market with his stylish 1911 on his hip, and begins to pick out items. He sees that the price on his favorite whole wheat, sea salted bagel chips has gone up thirty cents... and then decides to bang it out with the first person to approach him!

:chuckles:

I'm not a fan of the OC-attention types, the filming of LEO doing their job, or the spouting of "unconstitutional" when no one really gives a flip. Everything in the video was conducted by the book-- I can buy that. And I also understand the danger of approaching someone (especially armed) in an official capacity...

But come on... Seriously? :squint: "You're lucky that's all I did..."?

I know a lot of the LEO on this board, and I'm pretty positive this kid was being a PITA/doucher before the video begins. But I can't picture any of you blustering on like that. In fact, I can hear some pretty hilarious responses coming out of some of you (Nate)... Now THAT'S a video I'd like to see!

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Oppppsss No cc in hospitals?
    I make boo boo lol

Yea yeah concealed is concealed lol. I actually started out looking at belly bands for conceal carrying but if something were to happen oops no more job :( lol.

We do at least have armed security. Not that it makes me feel 100% safe it does not make it stand out as a target rich zone.

CaptainMorgan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    baton rouge
    just an update on this. Apparently i dont check work emails enough, and they did send out a notice on this incident. There is now a decent sized no firearms sign on both doors at the BR whole foods. You will be asked to go put your firearm in your car and invited back in. They say it is a safety issue. Thats about as much as i can say on the matter.

Last edited:

nomadic1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    St. Tammany
    Though this thread is about open carry, I am really surprised to see that people who have a CC permit don't know the rules for where they can and cannot carry. When you filled out the form to apply for the permit, it expressly says you are to read the statutes pertaining to concealed carry, and that your signature on that form constitutes that you did indeed read it and now know it.

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html

http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chRuleBook12.pdf

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I dont understand why you people go to New Orleans anyway (outside of bc thats where you have to be)? It has become common knowledge they do what they want and will harass a legal gun owner. I hate that city.

In the case of the video, the officer did anything illegal.

But let me ask this: The manager of a store can decide at will the facility is a "gun free zone" without posting it at the entraces?

blackwater26504

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    be happy your white! i know if my black ass would have done this i would have been shot no questions ask. plan and simple! you went into the store to start ****. admit it!

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    I dont understand why you people go to New Orleans anyway (outside of bc thats where you have to be)? It has become common knowledge they do what they want and will harass a legal gun owner. I hate that city.

In the case of the video, the officer did anything illegal.

But let me ask this: The manager of a store can decide at will the facility is a "gun free zone" without posting it at the entraces?

For starts I agree with you about New Orleans. I avoid that city like the plague for multiple reasons

2nd yes a store manager has the right to tell you to leave the property. It can be for open carrying, for your actions, even for appearance. It is privately owned property that is open to the public.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    be happy your white! i know if my black ass would have done this i would have been shot no questions ask. plan and simple! you went into the store to start ****. admit it!

Welcome blackwater26504
    Way to keep it real!

That is a big part of my problem with OC. Some OC guys know they will have a problem, know what the problem will be, go out & have the problem & then are surprised when it happens just like expected.

Top Bottom