Candies and hughes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smith625

REVOLVER DRIVER
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    port vincent louisiana
    I don't know if anyone posted this but Paul Candies passed on the July 21. He was a great guy and did plenty for local and national drag racing including multiple championships in stock, f/c and top fuel. Not to mention the Grand Isle rodeo. RIP to a good guy!

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Yes, he was a good dude and put Louisiana in the spotlight when it came to drag racing..Met him and Mark Oswald back in the 80s and they were both down to earth dudes. RIP.

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    Sorry to hear that. I met those guys in the 70's when they were giving the competition hell. Used to see them race in LaPlace & Houma when they had Drag Strips. Really nice guy.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Yep, Keith Black Hemis....the dominator engine of the top fuel/funny cars at the time. Those were some good days..Dan, I too went to LaPlace and saw them run there.

sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond
    RIP Paul Candies.

At LaPlace, Candies and Hughes gave the big teams like "Big Daddy" and "Cha-Cha" a run for their money. Pun intended. Some of the other local racers like Car Shop, The Green Gang, and Leon Greff did not disappoint either.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Q-Ball-Opelousas.jpg

One of my good friends was on the crew. He started with Paul and Que Ball Wales in the early 60's. Que Ball was killed when his chute failed at a race in Monroe . My friend who had packed the chute suffered great regret from the incident. He was on Paul's crew until the team shutdown. Part of the reason it shutdown was chief mechanic Leonard Huges, also an old timer couldn't or didn't want to adjust to the computer age and because of that Ford Motorcraft pulled their sponsorship. That was the story he told me. He has one of the Wales and Candies old front engine chassis he plans on restoring.

Last edited:

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    I was there when Candies & Hughes ran the quarter in just under 5 seconds in their fuel dragster. The crowd went crazy. Someone used to run a '65 or '66 Plymouth Belvedere with a 426 Hemi. Called it Hell's Hemi, they were almost unbeatable in Super Stock. Richard's Ford used to sponsor a '69 Mustang that was pretty tough also.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom