Can't decide between an 870 or a 500. Help me out

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    I have a 590 and the only thing it has foing for it is the bayonet lug which is useless since I haven't been able to find my m9 for about a decade, still holding out hope though. Mine would not lock in battery consistantly when new, it took about 500 rounds and playing with it but now is fine. Definately get ghost rings though! I would've gotten the 870 in hindsight but bought a Benelli M1 at the same time and couldn't (at the time) justify to myself an additional pump "combat" shotgun.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    The 870 has a poorly designed non-user replaceable ejector spring setup.(unless you are a full blown smith, or like involved projects.)
    The mossberg safety is not ideally located if you run a stock with a pg.
    The 870 has a steel receiver, the 590 an aluminum one.
    I think remington's "p" models are smoother than the 590's, but their others are for the most part, on par.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    I grew up in a household where all of our rifles & shotguns were Remington or nothing. After a deployment to Iraq where I had access to a Mossberg, my last two pump shotgun purchases have been Mossberg 500s and I will likely never buy another 870.

To me, the safety on the Mossberg 500 is preferable to the 870 and when carrying it for long periods, I like the lighter weight of Mossberg's aluminum receiver.

Either way, both shotguns will serve you well.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Which fails, like, once in a blue moon. I don't get your point.

I have very little time on Mossbergs, despite having gone through an armorer "school" many years back. People who would know tell me that the 590A1 is a decent shotgun, pretty much equal to the 870. Okay, fine. The 500s damn sure are not; that much I remember. But there is no way, NO WAY, they can even approach the record the 870 has built.

The 870 has been the gold standard for fighting pump action shotguns since about 1960. Take that for what it is worth to you.

870's run great, even without an ejector spring at all! It's just one thing to consider, that the 590A1 can have nearly every part in it replaced by the average guy, on his kitchen table, while the ejector of the 870, not so much sometimes. It's a small point, but something that is tangible, I think. Part of why I will take a Glock over a 1911 every time, and things like that. They fail often enough for Brownells to make a tool for the express purpose of allowing a lay-man to replace them, which gives you a 50/50 chance of not having to go to great lengths of re-pinning it and re-finishing the receiver, etc.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=368/Product/REMINGTON-870-EJECTOR-SPRING-RIVET-CUTTER

I don't run a pump for anything serious because I bet I would stress out and short-stroke the bugger when it really counted. Seen people far more experienced with them than myself do it, and I know I'm human, too!

If I WERE to run a pump though, it would be an 870P with some Vang Comp work done to the bore.

AI&P can build you a VERY nice 870 to fit your budget, or you can wait until a PD sells some and pick them up off of AR15com for a very fair price.
    http://www.aiptactical.com/

McGuire is a no BS kind of guy who isn't going to "sell you" something. He'll help you figure out what you need, and what's just fluff, and make it work for you. I highly recommend him and his work if you want to spring for a new, no-******** 870.

Last edited:

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    If you looking for the difference between the two when it comes to "tacti-cool", I'm poorly qualified to comment on that, despite ample experience in Coast Guard Extreme Special Forces.

However, if you're looking to see which is better for the money, I assure you both are very good, dependable, and reliable shotguns.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    As far as an aluminum receiver.... I don't think it takes away much as far as reliability goes, but it's lighter.

I sold my tacticool 870 a few years ago and replaced it with a Winchester 120 (basically a cheap wood 1200), shortened the barrel, added a mag tube extension and called it a day. I haven't even put a bead on it, but can shoot it well at 40 yards. It's lighter and carries in the woods easily. It seems to work great, but I haven't put 9,000,000 rounds through it yet. I'm into it $150, and I really like it.

:dunno:

Il_Baffo

Tacticool
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks for the help everybody! I have a question: when a shotgun is advertised as "8 shot capacity" does that mean it holds 8 in the tube and 1 in the chamber or you have to do 7+1 to get that 8 shot capacity?

This gives away how much of a shotgun noob I am...

Il_Baffo

Tacticool
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA

JetMech

Displaced Yankee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Shreveport
    I like the location of the safety and pump release buttons on the 500 better. You don't need to change your grip to use them.

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Does anyone buy into the issues alleged with the 870's and accidental discharge? Seems more than just random incidents if you dig into it. I am looking to buy a 12 ga also and cant decide.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Thanks. So do you think Bud's messed this up?

On Buds this 500 is 8+1 and on cheaperthandirt it's 8 shot capacity

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...d/75535/Mossberg+5003R+12g+20"+8SH+PG+SYN+PRK

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/75535-1.html#Reviews

Also, the full stock version of the same gun on Buds is "8 shot capacity" and they specify it's 7+1

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...der+Tactical+12ga+Tri-Rail+Forearm+8+Shot+20"

If its got a 20" barrel, its 7+1.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Does anyone buy into the issues alleged with the 870's and accidental discharge? Seems more than just random incidents if you dig into it. I am looking to buy a 12 ga also and cant decide.

How long has the 870 been made?
    When did people start having this problem?

Okay then.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    After this next Duck Season I'll have over 8,000 Shells through my 20Ga. Express my Dad got me when I was a kid. Never had an NG, FTE, FTF or any of the above. The gun just keeps firing year after year, shell after shell.

Can't say the same for some Mossbergs users I know. :dunno: Maybe they've changed in the past 10 years? Then again so has Remington right?

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    But, like any weapon system, it requires some savvy on the part of the user. I know people who could tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet... and hurt themselves doing it. Such people should avoid machinery of all types.

Well said.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom