Carry in a government building?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    ^^^ Don't take the bait ^^^

back to the OP:
    So...what say you? Is the prohibition against carrying in a courthouse, any/all govt offices, the entire building, or what? And, what's the deal with a knife?

Did I break the law or just some rule by entering the building with my knife?

thorswhisper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2009
    Covington, La.
    Again I ask: "How would YOU maintain security in a building that houses Judges and staff, the District Attorney's Office, Clerk of Court,Sheriff offices and several other parish offices? Would you allow people in with
    weapons? (Pistols and Knives) Its an environment with the potential for fluctuating dispositions and metal states. Your quick to point out impositions but no alternatives for solutions. You can't enter a bar with a CCW ,why should a courthouse allow you in?

vern10mm

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Kenner, LA
    Again I ask: "How would YOU maintain security in a building that houses Judges and staff, the District Attorney's Office, Clerk of Court,Sheriff offices and several other parish offices? Would you allow people in with
    weapons? (Pistols and Knives) Its an environment with the potential for fluctuating dispositions and metal states. Your quick to point out impositions but no alternatives for solutions. You can't enter a bar with a CCW ,why should a courthouse allow you in?

Because said courthouses are in America, and in AMerica their is a freedom of....nevermind.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering

I wasn't avoiding your question. I was waiting until I had a full keyboard instead of those little phone keys. So, here goes...

If it were legal, I would allow weapons in public buildings of all kinds.
    What do you mean by "maintain security"?
    Where are the "secure" buildings that you know of?

There are LOTS of environments with potential for fluctuating dispositions and mental states. So...?
    The law-abiding will be unarmed and the criminals, pissed-off and loony will be armed. Where does that leave us?

If it were up to me, I would allow CCW carry in a bar. So...?
    What does that have to do with a building housing a courtroom and many other offices like the Clerk of Court? (lots of crazy homicidal maniacs in the clerk's office...?)

I've got another one for you...How would YOU keep weapons OUT of places such as these?
    I can't wait to hear this plan...

thorswhisper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2009
    Covington, La.
    Actually I think the Sheriff does a pretty good job with security. Obviously you haven't spent a lot of time in courtrooms, nor witnessed many trials. If you did you would appreciate the need to have security. I think your taking this a bit hard. I understand the principal which you trying to point out, but what portion of your time did this really impact? There are security measures in most ALL courthouses. I have no problem with relinquishing my weapon as long as they have a secure place in which to hold it. I agree with you, that a weapon left unattended in a car is NOT a very good situation.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Id be interested in knowing what possible threat inside the Justice center you were concerned about. The only people carrying inside the building are LEO. They do have a weapons locker by the metal detectors, you perhaps could have checked your weapon and had them store it there until you left. I whole heartedly agree with your concerns for for leaving your weapon unattended in your vehicle. I also understand your frustration with having to disarm yourself. If you were in charge of the security there, how would you change things?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=courthouse+shooting

:)

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Actually I think the Sheriff does a pretty good job with security. Obviously you haven't spent a lot of time in courtrooms, nor witnessed many trials. If you did you would appreciate the need to have security. I think your taking this a bit hard. I understand the principal which you trying to point out, but what portion of your time did this really impact? There are security measures in most ALL courthouses. I have no problem with relinquishing my weapon as long as they have a secure place in which to hold it. I agree with you, that a weapon left unattended in a car is NOT a very good situation.

Weapon in car is not at the top of my list, though it is on there.

Protecting my multi-million dollar investment is first on my list. I don't know how much you value your life but mine is worth all of it. Securing my investment falls first to me and delegating that protection is for me to decide when and where.

Read the OP. It's not the "courtroom" that I have a problem with.

I'm not knocking the sheriff for doing "a pretty good job with security". He's probably doing the best with what he has. I'm saying that "pretty good" isn't good enough for me so my first line of defense is me - along with my Constitutionally protected rights given to me by God. The deputies can fill in where I am lacking, if they so choose.

" what portion of your time did this really impact?". Now that the time has passed, I can say that I now know I didn't need my weapons. Next time???

We can agree to disagree but I'd like to hear your opinion on the questions I asked in the OP. Please take the time to answer those.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    what is it like to be afraid to be unarmed?

if i were to run up behind you and take your gun. would you assume a fetal position?

Why would you attempt to take my gun?....are you afraid to be unarmed?

What a joke! You should try comedy. There MUST be some comedy sites you could haunt.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I'm only asking why you feel incapable of being unarmed.

Fair enough. I don't feel incapable of being unarmed. I choose to be armed as much as possible and constantly seek to do so.

There are plenty of people who seek to disarm me as much as possible so I am constantly seeking to protect and restore what I believe to be right for me and my posterity.

If you interpret that as some type of "fear" then, I believe, you are projecting yourself into my life and concluding that fear is the logical conclusion. Alas, it is not fear that I feel. It is the reckoning. Setting things to right. Insitu. <--- that's Latin.

Whatever America's founding fathers felt towards the king is akin to what quickens me. There may be some fear mixed in and it may surface at times but, if there is fear, it is of what my country will be like when my grandchildren come of age. I have a responsibility to them and I take it seriously.

Hunh Bruh

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    setting you free!
    Ok. I can see the point.
    So you vehemently exercise the first amendment on a daily basis? Monthly?

That's what I think is so nice about the second amendment. You can carry a hidden weapon and exercise the second amendment, then tell everyone that it's real important.

Like the kids that give up liver for lent. They tell everyone they always follow the rules of lent, but they give up something they don't eat anyway.

But how many people actually use
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Remember you are allowed to do all of this as yourself, not hidden.

This is a thought. Not directed at anyone

Last edited:
    Top Bottom