Carrying an Asp while walking a dog.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    It's more for my gf than my self, she already Carrys a Spyderco salt1 and some pepper spray, I was just wondering about the legality of it. All I could find about it is that your ccw does not allow it to be carried concealed.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I've dealt with quite a few dogs over the years.

I like the fiberglass aerial idea but I have one of these that has never failed me.

Cold-Steel-92BSS-rw-11894-22476.jpg

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I carry a Glock 19 when I walk my dog. I live in a semi-rural area where my threats may range from people to other dogs, feral dogs, coyotes and bobcats.

JR1572

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I carry either my g19 or my Taurus model 27 revolver with 3 rat shot and 4 hollow points for animals, wild or not, when I walk my girl every day. I'm not worried about people, only animals, on my street.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If a baton is considered a weapon, which I think it might be, just buy a nylon holster ($10 bucks) and keep it on your hip. We have one that we keep on our fireplace mantle in its nylon pouch and it can easily go on a belt. Although, even if I am walking with my two German Shepherds, I still feel better having a good 'ole .357 Mag on my hip instead of a baton...the distance and ease of use are more practical in my opinion.

MikeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Once upon a time I used to ride a bicycle before I figured out the vehicles zooming a few feet away were more harmful to my health than an easychair and Budweiser.

Also sometimes on my rides I faced threats from barking and snarling dogs. My solution to that was an extendable car radio antenna with a wire-spring base. It retracted to about a foot long, and extended to about five feet, kind of like an Asp-light (but long). The spring base made a good handle. As noted before, a swishing rod in front of or on a dog's nose is quite impressive to our Best Friends. I used the antenna like a conductor leading a band and always got the dogs following my song-sheet.

I also carried a pistol as a last-and-lasting resort, but the flying rod defence never failed. In any case, a loosened bullet or pellets, especially in a neighborhood-type scenario, is not something to take lightly.

Now, when I'm walking in rural fields and woods with no people around, I skip the antenna. Threatening dogs out there carry a different implication and get a different response.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom