Carrying without permit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    If you were pulled over while carrying concealed in Louisiana I would think you’d be just fine considering you can legally conceal in your house or on your own property and your car is considered an extension of your home. Getting out is when it could potentially become an issue. At least that’s how I’m interpreting the law.

also like you just about everyone I know who is into firearms has carried without a permit or is still currently doing so with the exception of 1 who is newer to firearms I believe he told me he open carried when he felt he needed to carry until his permit came in.
    You have the constitutional right to carry concealed in your car but in La . and many other states if an officer of the law finds out you have it concealed on your person and not under the seat or in glove box he has the duty to violate your constitutional rights and arrest you . Remember state and local law Trumps God given rights in the eyes of some in the criminal justice system .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Thankfully none . Had the government made exercising any other of my God given rights illegal I would have broken those laws also . And just like some cops would arrest me for carrying , "because it's the law" if the state made worship in church illegal you know some cops would arrest me if I went to church ," because it's the law".

Perfect example of why I respect LEO's, but don't trust them at all. And yeah, my life is more valuable to me than some ******** laws made by ******** people that live a silverspoon life and don't have a clue about the real world. I carry on a regular basis with no CHP, and have no intention of "asking for permission" much less paying for permission to be able to defend myself. Like another guy on this forum once said,...."When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I was never stupid enough to believe I could depend on a police officer to be there when I needed one . I also was aware that the criminals did not obey gun laws . I also knew there were some cops out there who were either too stupid to know or knew but overlooked the fact that armed citizens were better than unarmed victims and would go 5 0 if they knew I carried so I took concealed carry to mean exactly that . You do make a point though , gun laws make otherwise lawabiding citizens decided to be helpless victims or become outlaws and illegally carry . Cops that don't want people to carry give citizens cause to not trust cops . After all why would someone in authority want me to be a helpless victim other than maybe they want power over me just like the armed thugs do .

False dichotomy. Your post suggests there are only two options, illegally carry or become a victim. You're ignoring other legitimate options.

Thankfully none . Had the government made exercising any other of my God given rights illegal I would have broken those laws also . And just like some cops would arrest me for carrying , "because it's the law" if the state made worship in church illegal you know some cops would arrest me if I went to church ," because it's the law".

False equivalence. You're equating carrying with going to church. But you would not be arrested for carrying. Carrying is not currently illegal.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you were pulled over while carrying concealed in Louisiana I would think you’d be just fine considering you can legally conceal in your house or on your own property and your car is considered an extension of your home. Getting out is when it could potentially become an issue. At least that’s how I’m interpreting the law.

also like you just about everyone I know who is into firearms has carried without a permit or is still currently doing so with the exception of 1 who is newer to firearms I believe he told me he open carried when he felt he needed to carry until his permit came in.

Who considers your car an extension of your home?

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I was never stupid enough to believe I could depend on a police officer to be there when I needed one . I also was aware that the criminals did not obey gun laws .

Um, you've already admitted to being a criminal who does not obey gun laws. Just because you don't believe in a law doesn't mean you can just flaunt it because you have good intents, without being a criminal.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    It is not legal to carry concealed in your vehicle if you do not have a permit. Please don’t spread this and get someone arrested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Can you elaborate? I didn’t say it was fact I said I would think. How can you not conceal a pistol in your car when it’s an extension of your home but legally you can conceal a pistol in your home or property? Something is not adding up to me

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Perfect example of why I respect LEO's, but don't trust them at all. And yeah, my life is more valuable to me than some ******** laws made by ******** people that live a silverspoon life and don't have a clue about the real world. I carry on a regular basis with no CHP, and have no intention of "asking for permission" much less paying for permission to be able to defend myself. Like another guy on this forum once said,...."When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

very well said

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Um,( you've already admitted to being a criminal who does not obey gun laws. Just because you don't believe in a law doesn't mean you can just flaunt it because you have good intents, without being a criminal.[/QUOTE). ////////////////////)/// So if a law is passed saying I can't have an AR you believe I should comply ? What if a law is passed saying only muskets are covered , should I have to give up all other weapons? What if laws are passed saying we can only go to certain churches or can not teach christianity to our kids until they are adults ? Thank God our forefathers didn't say " it's the law , give the king's police our guns " .
    I didn't say I flaunted it I said I was very descrite about it .

Last edited:

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    False dichotomy. Your post suggests there are only two options, illegally carry or become a victim. You're ignoring other legitimate options.

False equivalence. You're equating carrying with going to church. But you would not be arrested for carrying. Carrying is not currently illegal.
    What would that other option be ? Open carry ? To some open carry is inviting trouble , to others it is unnecessary giving thugs an opertunity to steal your gun and it can be argued it makes you a target . I personally feel it makes too many people nervous and probably leads some people to vote against guns . If you believe open carry is a good option you are entitled to that opinion . I don't see how gun rights and worship rights are different . Are they both not God given rights outlined in the BOR ? There are some that say going to a church house is no longer nessesary because we have TV and internet so we can just stay home and tune in . If I'm missing something please tell me the other options I have to protect myself from an armed thug . After all that is why I carry .

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Can you elaborate? I didn’t say it was fact I said I would think. How can you not conceal a pistol in your car when it’s an extension of your home but legally you can conceal a pistol in your home or property? Something is not adding up to me

I will for you. You cannot conceal it on your "person" or "self" while in your vehicle without a permit. It is kind of silly, but that is some of the horseshit the legislature came up with when they magnanimously allowed Louisiana citizens to exercise a Constitutional Right as long as we received permission and paid to do so beforehand!

But you need to forget about the extension of your home part. That is not correct. However, the laws have been made somewhat favorable concerning protecting your self while in your vehicle. Carjacking for instance.

Concealing a gun inside your vehicle is NOT considered the same as concealing it on your self/body.

Also, someone can check this to see if it is still or not, but I believe it is/was also illegal to conceal a handgun inside your house without a permit too?

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I will for you. You cannot conceal it on your "person" or "self" while in your vehicle without a permit. It is kind of silly, but that is some of the horseshit the legislature came up with when they magnanimously allowed Louisiana citizens to exercise a Constitutional Right as long as we received permission and paid to do so beforehand!

But you need to forget about the extension of your home part. That is not correct. However, the laws have been made somewhat favorable concerning protecting your self while in your vehicle. Carjacking for instance.

Concealing a gun inside your vehicle is NOT considered the same as concealing it on your self/body.

I appreciate you actually taking your time to clarify it for myself and others who may be wondering. Thank You

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Who considers your car an extension of your home?
    Back in the 90s when the discussion was to extend the shoot the burglar act to automobile carjacking it was claimed to be an extension of your home . Who all remembers the anti gun chief of police in S'port , (goober or grober ) being upset when that passed and went on the news and said law or no law his officers would arrest anyone who shot a burglar . The next day the district attorney was on the front page saying he would prosecute any police who arrested someone for protecting their home . This whole good cop bad cop as far as gun rights is nothing new .

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Back in the 90s when the discussion was to extend the shoot the burglar act to automobile carjacking it was claimed to be an extension of your home . Who all remembers the anti gun chief of police in S'port , (goober or grober ) being upset when that passed and went on the news and said law or no law his officers would arrest anyone who shot a burglar . The next day the district attorney was on the front page saying he would prosecute any police who arrested someone for protecting their home . This whole good cop bad cop as far as gun rights is nothing new .

Whether you/I/anyone else is concerned, the extension of the home issue isn't germane for the simple reason that the protection is there for you to defend yourself from fearing for your life or grave bodily harm! That has been extended if you will, to you where ever you are. Perhaps the term; "Castle Doctrine" is the wrong term to be used in this instance too, but it is basically what you have protecting you regardless of car or home. Most importantly, we are a "stand your ground" state. That is the phrase that best describes what is going in with respect to your vehicle.

As for the cops, don't get too hung up on that either. I think it is clear, enough of the overwhelming majority of "regular" street/beat cops are not out to "get" you or anyone else for that matter. The Louisiana Sheriff's Assn seems to be only Murphy Paul and some retired State Trooper, cause I can't seem to find any other higher up in LE that openly is speaking out against pro-2A issues. Are there some out there? Sure. Maybe they are just lazy?!? :dunno:

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    This is a quick question for sake of a discussion and I couldn’t immediately find answer.

As of now, is it a misdemeanor to conceal carry a firearm without a permit (person would not be a felon and able to own and possess firearm), or a felony?

It's an Article VI violation to require any citizen to have a permit to carry. (Supreme Law). May want to remind your State Legislators.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Also, someone can check this to see if it is still or not, but I believe it is/was also illegal to conceal a handgun inside your house without a permit too?

Great reply. People have been spitting out that extension crap for too long.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Um,( you've already admitted to being a criminal who does not obey gun laws. Just because you don't believe in a law doesn't mean you can just flaunt it because you have good intents, without being a criminal.[/QUOTE). ////////////////////)/// So if a law is passed saying I can't have an AR you believe I should comply ? What if a law is passed saying only muskets are covered , should I have to give up all other weapons? What if laws are passed saying we can only go to certain churches or can not teach christianity to our kids until they are adults ? Thank God our forefathers didn't say " it's the law , give the king's police our guns " .
    I didn't say I flaunted it I said I was very descrite about it .

I was just pointing the irony in your statement that you are protecting yourself from "criminals" who don't obey gun laws. You admitted to not obeying gun laws, therefore you are a criminal. But we get it, you're a goodguy, so its all rainbows and puppy dogs. But guess what's going to happen, from a legal system standpoint, if you (goodguy) ever have to pull out your illegally carried weapon to defend yourself from criminals (badguys) with illegally carried weapons...

You either comply with a law or not. But if you do not comply with a law, you are a criminal, or a patriot, depending on which side of history you are on, I suppose...

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I was just pointing the irony in your statement that you are protecting yourself from "criminals" who don't obey gun laws. You admitted to not obeying gun laws, therefore you are a criminal. But we get it, you're a goodguy, so its all rainbows and puppy dogs. But guess what's going to happen, from a legal system standpoint, if you (goodguy) ever have to pull out your illegally carried weapon to defend yourself from criminals (badguys) with illegally carried weapons...

You either comply with a law or not. But if you do not comply with a law, you are a criminal, or a patriot, depending on which side of history you are on, I suppose...
    Exactly , depending on who you ask . Think about this , during ww 2 our government had liberator pistols produced and distributed in Europe to be carried and used by criminals breaking Hitler's laws . Our forefathers broke the law and didn't let England take their guns . Through out history power hungry leaders have implemented laws that make otherwise lawabiding citizens criminals in order to control them and they have used military and police who hide behind " it's against the law so it's bad " . Jesus was a criminal and lawbreaker . He defied unjust laws and the ones who arrested and crusified him were doing their duty because law breakers must be arrested and punished . I remember a case in Greenwood where a man went in a store to pay for gas when thugs got in his car and drove off with his wife while all he could do was yell at them . They later found her raped and dead but thankfully neither he nor his wife were outlaws so they didn't have illegal weapons on them . Had he shot the thugs he may have been arrested . I wonder if he ever wished he had broken the law .

Top Bottom