Carrying without permit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What would that other option be ?

How about legally carrying a concealed weapon upon getting a permit. Is that not a viable option? It gives you the best of both worlds, carrying concealed to protect yourself and not getting arrested. If you'd like to discuss if a permit should be required, we can have that discussion. But as of now in Louisiana, it is required and it is another option.

Open carry ? To some open carry is inviting trouble , to others it is unnecessary giving thugs an opertunity to steal your gun and it can be argued it makes you a target . I personally feel it makes too many people nervous and probably leads some people to vote against guns . If you believe open carry is a good option you are entitled to that opinion . I don't see how gun rights and worship rights are different . Are they both not God given rights outlined in the BOR ? There are some that say going to a church house is no longer nessesary because we have TV and internet so we can just stay home and tune in . If I'm missing something please tell me the other options I have to protect myself from an armed thug . After all that is why I carry .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

I do not believe open carry is a good idea in most cases. Gun rights and religious rights can be seen as the same thing. This goes back to the option you left out. You won't be arrested for carrying. You may be arrested for carrying without a permit. Making going to church illegal would be equivalent to making guns illegal. But making going church illegal is not equivalent to requiring a permit to carry concealed. Again, we can discuss if a permit should be necessary in the first place. But not liking the law or thinking the law is unjust does not wipe the law off the books.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Who considers your car an extension of your home?

Back in the 90s when the discussion was to extend the shoot the burglar act to automobile carjacking it was claimed to be an extension of your home . Who all remembers the anti gun chief of police in S'port , (goober or grober ) being upset when that passed and went on the news and said law or no law his officers would arrest anyone who shot a burglar . The next day the district attorney was on the front page saying he would prosecute any police who arrested someone for protecting their home . This whole good cop bad cop as far as gun rights is nothing new .

So was it the sheriff? Or the DA?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Um,( you've already admitted to being a criminal who does not obey gun laws. Just because you don't believe in a law doesn't mean you can just flaunt it because you have good intents, without being a criminal.
    . ////////////////////)/// So if a law is passed saying I can't have an AR you believe I should comply ? What if a law is passed saying only muskets are covered , should I have to give up all other weapons? What if laws are passed saying we can only go to certain churches or can not teach christianity to our kids until they are adults ? Thank God our forefathers didn't say " it's the law , give the king's police our guns " .
    I didn't say I flaunted it I said I was very descrite about it .

I'm not going to say if you should or shouldn't comply. That's a personal decision. But if you didn't comply, I would sure advise against bragging about it on the internet.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    105   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Exactly , depending on who you ask . Think about this , during ww 2 our government had liberator pistols produced and distributed in Europe to be carried and used by criminals breaking Hitler's laws . Our forefathers broke the law and didn't let England take their guns . Through out history power hungry leaders have implemented laws that make otherwise lawabiding citizens criminals in order to control them and they have used military and police who hide behind " it's against the law so it's bad " . Jesus was a criminal and lawbreaker . He defied unjust laws and the ones who arrested and crusified him were doing their duty because law breakers must be arrested and punished . I remember a case in Greenwood where a man went in a store to pay for gas when thugs got in his car and drove off with his wife while all he could do was yell at them . They later found her raped and dead but thankfully neither he nor his wife were outlaws so they didn't have illegal weapons on them . Had he shot the thugs he may have been arrested . I wonder if he ever wished he had broken the law .

I hear what you are saying and I'm all for freedom, rights and stickin' it to da Man, but most people don't want to be a test case and wouldn't want that liability on their head when they could just shell out a few bucks (or not, if you're a vet) and some paperwork to be legal, as in not a criminal illegally concealing a firearm.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I hear what you are saying and I'm all for freedom, rights and stickin' it to da Man, but most people don't want to be a test case and wouldn't want that liability on their head when they could just shell out a few bucks (or not, if you're a vet) and some paperwork to be legal, as in not a criminal illegally concealing a firearm.
    I was referring to back in the day when permit was not an option , I have a permit now that it is an option .

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    So was it the sheriff? Or the DA?
    My post is a little confusing on time lines. The period when the anti gun police chief that was brought in from ohio took the NAACP s side was around 80 or early 80s . I don't remember if Terry was still sheriff of Caddo or if Hathaway was in . Paul Carmouch was DA and Vol Dooley was bossier parish sheriff . It was during the reconstruction phase of the S'port police department right after D'Aritois and his corrupt bunch were ousted . A lot of people don't know that as Rudy Giuliani was fighting the mob in NY the "dixie mafia " was being brought down from Florida to S' Port and police corruption was front page news for some time .

Last edited:

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I should clear something up . When I said "I used to "I meant I used to ( past tense ) not that I do it now If I did it now I would have said "I carry without a permit" ( present tense) . I thought that was understood , sorry for the confusion. Had permits been available then I would have had one and the State would not have been putting me in the position of be an outlaw or go unprotected.

Jadams74

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2019
    Ponchatoula, Louisiana
    I was in Denham Springs Tuesday and I was open carrying because I had just come from shooting. I went into the little shopping center across from Bass Pro and started to walk out of the store when I noticed 5 police officers enter the store and head straight toward me. They told me that someone had called and reported that a man with a gun was acting strangely and they thought that I might be drunk or on drugs, but I don't drink or use drugs that aren't prescribed to me, so I think whoever called just had a problem with the gun. One of the officers asked for my ID, looked at my holstered weapon and the magazine and flashlight holder and told me to enjoy my day. He did ask if I had a concealed carry permit and I told him no, that I was waiting to see if the legislature chickens out or not before I go through the cost and process. He said "OK, you're all set" and let me go.
    I'm guessing someone had a problem with the fact that I'm legally allowed to carry a firearm in the open and felt like hassling me for a bit. People better get used to seeing firearms because they aren't going anywhere.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I should clear something up . When I said "I used to "I meant I used to ( past tense ) not that I do it now If I did it now I would have said "I carry without a permit" ( present tense) . I thought that was understood , sorry for the confusion. Had permits been available then I would have had one and the State would not have been putting me in the position of be an outlaw or go unprotected.

Don’t clarify now, keep telling us how much of a patriot you are. What branch of the service were you in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I was in Denham Springs Tuesday and I was open carrying because I had just come from shooting. I went into the little shopping center across from Bass Pro and started to walk out of the store when I noticed 5 police officers enter the store and head straight toward me. They told me that someone had called and reported that a man with a gun was acting strangely and they thought that I might be drunk or on drugs, but I don't drink or use drugs that aren't prescribed to me, so I think whoever called just had a problem with the gun. One of the officers asked for my ID, looked at my holstered weapon and the magazine and flashlight holder and told me to enjoy my day. He did ask if I had a concealed carry permit and I told him no, that I was waiting to see if the legislature chickens out or not before I go through the cost and process. He said "OK, you're all set" and let me go.
    I'm guessing someone had a problem with the fact that I'm legally allowed to carry a firearm in the open and felt like hassling me for a bit. People better get used to seeing firearms because they aren't going anywhere.

Glad to see they handled you good. Apparently it wasn’t any of ozarks “some cops”

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    seems like alot of converstations on this forum are great till around post number 10... then all i can think of is the pic below :dogkeke:

Attachments

• BE6E2E0F-A5A4-4142-8FD6-346A53B75C9E.jpeg
      BE6E2E0F-A5A4-4142-8FD6-346A53B75C9E.jpeg
      12.1 KB · Views: 59
    • 678865D1-0CEE-4435-9AC7-3D41A10B0464.jpeg
      678865D1-0CEE-4435-9AC7-3D41A10B0464.jpeg
      10.8 KB · Views: 64
    • 96B9F48D-471C-4DAA-A1D5-45CE403BB97D.jpeg
      96B9F48D-471C-4DAA-A1D5-45CE403BB97D.jpeg
      11.4 KB · Views: 66

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Glad to see they handled you good. Apparently it wasn’t any of ozarks *some cops*

some of your comments are decent but you could have done better than this. Comparing illegally concealing a firearm to someone legally open carrying is comparing apples to oranges.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    some of your comments are decent but you could have done better than this. Comparing illegally concealing a firearm to someone legally open carrying is comparing apples to oranges.

Thanks for the compliment I guess. My point is the officers could have handled him in a way that violated his right to carry a firearm in the open. A lot of officers don’t do this intentionally, it’s 100% because they do not understand. My “some cops” comment is referring to almost every post ozark makes he is referencing “some cops”, I thought it might add some humor but guess not. I’ll head out of this thread and leave y’all to it.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Don’t clarify now, keep telling us how much of a patriot you are. What branch of the service were you in?

I only had to clarify for those that don't understand the difference between past tense and present tense . I said "Used To " in first post , I did not misspeak some people just misunderstood . Maybe I should have explained past and present in my first post and not assumed it was understood . Exactly what does" branch of service " have to do with some cops are all out" if it is against the law I'm going to arrest you" and others are not going to go against people's second amendment rights ? Is one branch more for or against the second amendment ? Exactly which branch is more patriotic than the other? Since you seem to think branches of service have something to do with patriotism If Biden outlaws ARs which branch can he depend on to help confiscate them if any ? I remember a past post when you explained why you were against permitless carry now you say if pressured you would have to say you are for it . It's kinda ironic isn't it ? You used to be against permitless carry( past tense) now you are for it ( present tense ) you don't even have to clarify it because I just did . I figure this topic has gone about as far as it will go before the usual actors start getting personal and trying to pick an argument and it is locked .

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I only had to clarify for those that don't understand the difference between past tense and present tense . I said "Used To " in first post , I did not misspeak some people just misunderstood . Maybe I should have explained past and present in my first post and not assumed it was understood . Exactly what does" branch of service " have to do with some cops are all out" if it is against the law I'm going to arrest you" and others are not going to go against people's second amendment rights ? Is one branch more for or against the second amendment ? Exactly which branch is more patriotic than the other? Since you seem to think branches of service have something to do with patriotism If Biden outlaws ARs which branch can he depend on to help confiscate them if any ? I remember a past post when you explained why you were against permitless carry now you say if pressured you would have to say you are for it . It's kinda ironic isn't it ? You used to be against permitless carry( past tense) now you are for it ( present tense ) you don't even have to clarify it because I just did . I figure this topic has gone about as far as it will go before the usual actors start getting personal and trying to pick an argument and it is locked .

I just was asking a question to see if you served in the military. No need to get upset, I just like a little background on who I’m having a discussion with. Especially someone who likes to be a patriot and talk about the constitution and people fighting for it. I’ll also respond to your comment on my stance. I think we will see a few problems if it goes into effect but I’d much rather some of the idiots I see carrying openly(picture holsters barely attached to belts, etc) actually conceal their firearm for everyone’s safety. And honestly, I just could care less as long as it’s legal.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Thanks for the compliment I guess. My point is the officers could have handled him in a way that violated his right to carry a firearm in the open. A lot of officers don’t do this intentionally, it’s 100% because they do not understand. My “some cops” comment is referring to almost every post ozark makes he is referencing “some cops”, I thought it might add some humor but guess not. I’ll head out of this thread and leave y’all to it.

Some cops means exactly that ,Some . Not all Not even most cops, just some . If you are not one of those cops then you shouldn't feel the need to defend those few anti second amendment cops . If someone said some roofers rip off old people an honest roofer would say , " you are right and those guys make us all look bad " not how dare you not worship all roofers . If you are not anti second then me or anyone else bashing anti second people should not offend you .

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I just was asking a question to see if you served in the military. No need to get upset, I just like a little background on who I’m having a discussion with. Especially someone who likes to be a patriot and talk about the constitution and people fighting for it. I’ll also respond to your comment on my stance. I think we will see a few problems if it goes into effect but I’d much rather some of the idiots I see carrying openly(picture holsters barely attached to belts, etc) actually conceal their firearm for everyone’s safety. And honestly, I just could care less as long as it’s legal.

We do agree on something , SOME PEOPLE bother me with the way they open carry , seems like they want it to fall or be snatched .

Last edited:
    Top Bottom